IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I hope our Floridian members fare well with Dorian

Hardypalms

I pray for the best to the Floridian members here while that hurricane goes through. Hopefully it will be downgraded from that 4 they are forecasting.

We should be getting heavy rain and winds here in Atlanta next week Friday they said.

Good luck

Pat

• Like 2

Praying for you folks. Hoping for the best.

Stay safe.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

It's been upgraded again and is now cat 4.  I'm in the center of the current cone of doom. Doesn't look good at all and I'm only 2 miles from the beach. Roofs bad, still hasn't been repaired from Irma.

Some of those gardens are still recovering from Irma so hope damage is to a minimum and of course people before plants so stay safe.

Regards Neil

Looks like tropical storm conditions along the coast from roughly Palm Beach (or maybe Boca) to Daytona Beach.  Here in Orlando, I am expecting a few squalls with tropical storm force gusts, and overall winds 15-30 mph gusting to 40 mph on Tuesday.  This is just my prediction based on how it looks now.  Follow what the National Hurricane Center says at all times.

For the time being, it looks like we dodged a bullet.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Weather.com says at 9.54am Eastern time that it is now a cat 5 and crushing the north Bahamas (Their wording).

Pat

With 175mph winds, definitely crushing.  Wish it would have missed the Bahamas.

201909011030_Dorian_CAT5.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

This is going to destroy the Bahamas in those locations. I feel awful for them. Still hoping it does the turn they are forecasting otherwise it's right into me.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Hoping for the best, still monitoring Dorian closely. It is supposed to turn north, but that won’t happen until Monday night Tuesday morning. Until that happens, it will be wait and see. It has sustained winds of 180 mph at this time, gusts over 200 mph. 

Just gave a neighbor all the plywood I had for home repair projects. Pretty dumb to wait this long knowing they got rid of their old window protection after Irma passed so they didn't have anything to protect the windows.

I have a concrete block house with wood truss roof and hurricane windows & doors except one slider that's got corrugated panels bolted to the concrete.  I doubt the windows would hold up to debris flying 200 MPH. The roof's in bad shape still from Irma. I'm only 2 miles from the ocean so if it doesn't turn I expect substantial damage to my house.

Can the Florida members update us on what is going on outside their house if of course it is safe to do so. Do you guys on the East coast starting to have some winds or rain?

They now say it's going to hit my state of Georgia on the coast. I am far inland in Atlanta, so we will get some wind and rain on Friday they say. Usually we get a few trees going down during the tail end of hurricanes.

Be safe!

Pat