Jump to content
RedRabbit

Remarkable palms of Tampa Bay

Recommended Posts

Silas_Sancona
21 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Sorry, no idea. @Silas_Sancona might know based on his experience at Kopsick.
 

Based on what I’ve read they do look hardier than Veitchia and might even be good down to 25f

To be honest, i can't fully remember, Want to say i'd find ripe seed sometime around now, but.. I'm sure other members who are growing them there in FL. might chime in with more definitive answers.. @Fusca You could also pm one of our members in Australia if looking for the freshest seed possible ( if your search closer to home doesn't pan out )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
45 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

To be honest, i can't fully remember, Want to say i'd find ripe seed sometime around now, but.. I'm sure other members who are growing them there in FL. might chime in with more definitive answers.. @Fusca You could also pm one of our members in Australia if looking for the freshest seed possible ( if your search closer to home doesn't pan out )

Thanks Nathan.  For some reason I bought them online rather than trying to contact other PalmTalkers.  Mistake.  :crying:  Seeds I've purchased from members here are always fresh.  Just usually don't care to get 100 at a time!  The online site where I got them might send me replacements so if they are harvesting around this time it might be worth it.  I didn't know you did some work at Kopsick - love that place!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
1 hour ago, SWFLchris said:

I do have a few 3g and tons of 1g, thanks.

I might PM you about these soon...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
5 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Thanks Nathan.  For some reason I bought them online rather than trying to contact other PalmTalkers.  Mistake.  :crying:  Seeds I've purchased from members here are always fresh.  Just usually don't care to get 100 at a time!  The online site where I got them might send me replacements so if they are harvesting around this time it might be worth it.  I didn't know you did some work at Kopsick - love that place!

Not a problem Jon.. Didn't do any work there, just frequently visited to collect seed, take pictures while i lived in Bradenton:). Wish it were close enough that i could hop in the car and drive over there atm. Always a nice walk in the park..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
2 hours ago, SWFLchris said:

I do have a few 3g and tons of 1g, thanks.

You have them in Clearwater? Got anything else for sale? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

@RedRabbit This is the craigslist ad I referenced in @cfkingfish's last livestream a week or so ago:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/grd/d/largo-rare-palms-huge-selection-of-1/7126808922.html

I think myself and @palmsOrl are scheduled to make the perilous trek over to the west coast this Saturday when he stops down to pick up his portion of our joint Floribunda order.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SWFLchris
3 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

You have them in Clearwater? Got anything else for sale? 

Yep, the nursery in Largo, I have a whole bunch for sale, growing most of the same stuff that @Mike Evans was. Most of my inventory is in 4in, 1 and 3g right now.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SWFLchris
8 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@RedRabbit This is the craigslist ad I referenced in @cfkingfish's last livestream a week or so ago:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/grd/d/largo-rare-palms-huge-selection-of-1/7126808922.html

Thanks man, give me a shout, come by whenever

Edited by SWFLchris
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
42 minutes ago, SWFLchris said:

Yep, the nursery in Largo, I have a whole bunch for sale, growing most of the same stuff that @Mike Evans was. Most of my inventory is in 4in, 1 and 3g right now.

Wow, I had no idea. I look forward to purchasing some palms from you when I’m in the area next. :)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chatta

Man the coconuts in Hyde Park are looking fantastic. Gonna go look at West Shore ones sometime this week. (Trying to find nutts to grab) And also spotted this really nice Veitchia... theres another good grouping at a Senior Living Home on Blvd
 

20200701_100800.jpg

20200701_101109.jpg

20200701_102451.jpg

20200701_102533.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
2 hours ago, Chatta said:

Man the coconuts in Hyde Park are looking fantastic. Gonna go look at West Shore ones sometime this week. (Trying to find nutts to grab) And also spotted this really nice Veitchia... theres another good grouping at a Senior Living Home on Blvd
 

20200701_100800.jpg

20200701_101109.jpg

20200701_102451.jpg

20200701_102533.jpg

I have a theory that the northern part of the Interbay Penninsula is warmer than the southern part due to being more urban. These coconuts support that theory. With one exception, they’re the only coconuts I know of in the middle of the Interbay Penninsula that survived 2010. All the other ones are within about 0.5 miles of the water.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chatta
1 minute ago, Zeeth said:

These coconuts in Ybor are a nice example.

They've been there since at least 2007, which is pretty good considering how cold the area was in 2010. 

Was going to visit this one this week too

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
6 hours ago, Zeeth said:

These coconuts in Ybor are a nice example.

They've been there since at least 2007, which is pretty good considering how cold the area was in 2010. 

Those are pretty good evidence portions of Ybor are 10a.  Its not that close to Tampa Bay so I'm not entirely sure why the climate there can support these coconuts. I suspect its actually due to just being very urban, but who knows. They're getting a lot of protection from the house too so I'm sure that's a factor.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CodyORB
On 8/31/2019 at 1:19 PM, Mike Evans said:

Yes, you can grow a lot of nice tropical palms around TB.  There are a lot of nice private gardens around the area.   Here are a few from the garden.

Licuala peltata var sumawongii,  These have been remarkably cold hardy, but hate hurricane winds. DSCN5067.thumb.JPG.0d058622d30d8f920d92ad6dd12f11c0.JPG

 

A couple of Satakentia that are around the garden.

DSCN5064.thumb.JPG.63550441ba6dbab00b71ec27cb3689c3.JPG

 

Copernicia's  are always a good bet for central FL, just wish I would have planted more sooner.  Here are a couple of C. macroglossa.  

DSCN5047.thumb.JPG.3a289b97f09e5977dda60895c74c4e7a.JPG

DSCN5048.thumb.JPG.b72709e4c3915bb92a86151d71f100f8.JPG

 

Copernicia baileyana

DSCN5077.thumb.JPG.de62ff1e94fa7d238da5d4954f5a0759.JPG

 

Copernicia baileyana that consistently weeps.  I am beginning to think it is a hybrid.

DSCN5074.thumb.JPG.380b9a6d1630825c7c7d23ba131c876d.JPG

Something you don't see too often, Livistona jenkinsiana.  Probably the best looking Livistona's.  Originally bought from the late and great John Demott (Redland Nursery), about 20 years ago.

DSCN5079.thumb.JPG.645e57360040b18666a7779beb06d077.JPG

 

Acrocomia crispa (Cuban belly palm), just starting to get its belly.  They are painfully slow the first 4 - 5 years then can double in size in 1 year.

 

 

DSCN5078.JPG

Wonderful collection! Do you know how old the c. macroglossa and l. peltata are? They do look "juvenile" compared to most palms but knowing the genus's I'd put them at least 20 years of so...

Nice cycads too!

Edited by CodyORB
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Evans

The C. macroglossa is approx 23 years from seed and L peltata are probably 10 -12 years, lost track.  YMMV.  The copernicia growing conditions have changed over time, since there use to be a large live oak shading the area, and was cut down about 10 years ago.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

More Tampa General Hospital palms.

Nice Yellow Malayan coconut! It is in a courtyard so it is very well protected, and it looks great!

Also a very nice Ravenea rivularis in bloom, one of the nicest ones I have seen.

 

 

20200716_114102.jpg

20200716_114147.jpg

20200716_115712.jpg

20200716_114124.jpg

20200716_114206.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
48 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

More Tampa General Hospital palms.

Nice Yellow Malayan coconut! It is in a courtyard so it is very well protected, and it looks great!

Also a very nice Ravenea rivularis in bloom, one of the nicest ones I have seen.

 

 

20200716_114102.jpg

20200716_114147.jpg

20200716_115712.jpg

20200716_114124.jpg

20200716_114206.jpg

Thanks for sharing! That must have the best microclimate in Tampa. I mean, it’s on an island in Tampa Bay just south of downtown in a courtyard with northernly wind protection. If a coconut can’t survive there it’s not going to survive anywhere in Tampa. 

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chatta

Some fantastical plantings in Carollwood. I saw a nice sized coconut with flowers on hutchinson road across from another palm nutt i met at Franks sale whos got a nice acromea right on the street

20200723_123022.jpg

20200723_122140.jpg

20200723_122031.jpg

20200723_122017.jpg

20200723_120941.jpg

20200723_120915.jpg

20200723_120928.jpg

20200723_120738.jpg

20200723_120730.jpg

20200723_120756.jpg

20200723_120813.jpg

20200723_120658.jpg

20200723_120650.jpg

20200723_120709.jpg

20200723_121335.jpg

20200723_121513.jpg

20200723_121619.jpg

20200723_121647.jpg

20200723_121950.jpg

20200723_121652.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
1 hour ago, Chatta said:

Some fantastical plantings in Carollwood. I saw a nice sized coconut with flowers on hutchinson road across from another palm nutt i met at Franks sale whos got a nice acromea right on the street

20200723_123022.jpg

20200723_122140.jpg

20200723_122031.jpg

20200723_122017.jpg

20200723_120941.jpg

20200723_120915.jpg

20200723_120928.jpg

20200723_120738.jpg

20200723_120730.jpg

20200723_120756.jpg

20200723_120813.jpg

20200723_120658.jpg

20200723_120650.jpg

20200723_120709.jpg

20200723_121335.jpg

20200723_121513.jpg

20200723_121619.jpg

20200723_121647.jpg

20200723_121950.jpg

20200723_121652.jpg

I used to live pretty close to that plaza. Those Ptychosperma have been there awhile; they’re not pre-2010 but definitely survived the 2018 freeze. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
On 8/30/2019 at 8:20 PM, Palmaceae said:

Just found these today, Howea forsteriana in St Pete. Nice to see them here in Florida doing so well, do not see that very often. Sorry for the hard to see pictures, the light was not right.

 

IMG_20190830_142022390.jpg

IMG_20190830_141952571.jpg

I was over in your area today and was impressed by just how great the climate appears to be. Still solidly zone 10a even a few miles inland... I had just come from Hyde Park, one of Tampa’s warmest neighborhoods, and Woodlawn still looked substantially more tropical by comparison. 
 

I used to live in downtown and always knew how great the climate was by the bay. Inland though, I thought might be getting back towards 9B but that’s definitely not the case anywhere East of 275 at least. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
On 7/24/2020 at 12:44 AM, RedRabbit said:

I used to live pretty close to that plaza. Those Ptychosperma have been there awhile; they’re not pre-2010 but definitely survived the 2018 freeze. 

Only an anecdotal observation, but Ptychosperma elegans might be similar to Adonidia merrillii in the inland areas of Central Florida.  Marginal out in the wide open, but fairly long term if planted near some form of windbreak with some paved surfaces or concrete to hold a little heat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SWFLchris

Tall coconut in Bardmoor

A6A220C8-CE4B-43BF-9A39-94814AB347B5.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chatta

saw these at the st pete yacht club not sure what they are planted among christmas palms. they kinda look like ptychosperma super pronounced crown shaft

20200801_163341.jpg

20200801_163325.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Found a nice coconut in Gibsonton.

Feb. 2019:

20190201_Gibsonton_Coconut.png
 

Dec. 2018:

20181201_Gibsonton_Coconut.png
 

Jun. 2013:

20130601_Gibsonton_Coconut.png
 

Mar. 2011:

20110301_Gibsonton_Coconut.png
 

Jan. 2008:

20080101_Gibsonton_Coconut.png

Nice find! I’ve heard of coconuts in Gibsonton, but I’ve never actually seen one until now. Apparently the climate must be pretty good there. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
16 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Nice find! I’ve heard of coconuts in Gibsonton, but I’ve never actually seen one until now. Apparently the climate must be pretty good there. 

It's been a bit since I had to go through the Riverview and south Brandon areas for anything.  I imagine there are some decent microclimates along the riverfront there.  I did see a trunking coconut in that area once, but it took a nosedive in 2018 unfortunately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

A very tall (for Polk) Dypsis lutescens clearing the eve of a 2 story house in Winter Haven, FL:

20190701_Dypsis_lutescens_WH.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chinandega81
12 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

A very tall (for Polk) Dypsis lutescens clearing the eve of a 2 story house in Winter Haven, FL:

20190701_Dypsis_lutescens_WH.png

Wow! That's quite remarkable!! I'm surprised to see one this massive in inland Central Florida. How common are D. lutescnens in inland Central Florida?

Is your climate warming there overall of only for urban heat islands? Are your cold snaps less frequent and severe nowadays? I see coconuts in Orlando, plenty of royals as well...and parts of Tamapa and St. Pete look similar to deep south Florida. I'm not sure if the pics are just great microclimate or indicative of general warming in the region.

 

Regardless, thanks for the pics. They all look great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl
On 7/23/2020 at 11:07 PM, Chatta said:

Some fantastical plantings in Carollwood. I saw a nice sized coconut with flowers on hutchinson road across from another palm nutt i met at Franks sale whos got a nice acromea right on the street

20200723_123022.jpg

20200723_122140.jpg

20200723_122031.jpg

20200723_122017.jpg

20200723_120941.jpg

20200723_120915.jpg

20200723_120928.jpg

20200723_120738.jpg

20200723_120730.jpg

20200723_120756.jpg

20200723_120813.jpg

20200723_120658.jpg

20200723_120650.jpg

20200723_120709.jpg

20200723_121335.jpg

20200723_121513.jpg

20200723_121619.jpg

20200723_121647.jpg

20200723_121950.jpg

20200723_121652.jpg

Thank you for sharing.  I really enjoy seeing the palms in a rainstorm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
10 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

Wow! That's quite remarkable!! I'm surprised to see one this massive in inland Central Florida. How common are D. lutescnens in inland Central Florida?

Is your climate warming there overall of only for urban heat islands? Are your cold snaps less frequent and severe nowadays? I see coconuts in Orlando, plenty of royals as well...and parts of Tamapa and St. Pete look similar to deep south Florida. I'm not sure if the pics are just great microclimate or indicative of general warming in the region.

Regardless, thanks for the pics. They all look great!

Dypsis lutescens is very common here.  I consider them an indicator palm in that a microclimate can affect the ultimate size they are able to achieve.  They'll come back from the rootball from brief drops into the low 20s, but if you see a large one, then you know that area tends to resist cooling better than the areas where they have been around for 10+ years and are still under 12 feet.   Just up the road there are a bunch of 15+ footers even on the northern exposure houses and there are bunch down in the Lake Morton neighborhood over 20 feet.  Here's another large one dwarfing a house in South Lakeland.

20200601_183525_Luce_LargeDypsis_lutescens_trim.jpg

The urban areas of Lakeland, Winter Haven, Kissimmee and Orlando stay significantly warmer than the outlying areas.  As fast as the Davenport area is growing, perhaps it should be included.  In particular, radiational cooling is much less in these areas and advective freezes won't be as damaging near tall buildings and other effective windbreaks.  While 2010 was bad, it wasn't nearly 1985 or 1989.

In addition, the Lethal Bronzing epidemic has weakened the safety net of just bulk planting cold hardy old favorites like Phoenix and Washingtonia.  Livistona decora is now the bulletproof cold hardy of choice as it has good enough resistance to the disease to be used ubiquitously.  Since the safety net of our most common cold hardy palms is not what it used to be, it is actually less risk to plant relatively long term palms like Archontophoenix, Beccariophoenix, Chambeyronia, Roystonea, Wodyetia, etc. that would succumb to a 1980s freeze, but not a 2010 freeze.  The Palm Collection at Lake Wire, Common Ground, Hollis Gardens and Legoland (formerly Cypress Gardens) have quite a few nice palms and palm companions.  A few of us here in Lakeland grow coconuts.

As an example, the intersection of US-98 (Bartow Rd.) with South Florida Ave. used to be packed with Phoenix dactylifera that were marked for death by Lethal Bronzing.  It looks like the new plantings there are Copernicia alba and Beccariophoenix alfredii.

20200904_192220_Copernicia_alba_01.jpg

20200904_192227_Copernicia_alba_02.jpg

20200904_192433_Beccariophoenix_alfredii_01.jpg

20200904_192453_Beccariophoenix_alfredii_02.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JJPalmer

By far the tallest planting of adonidia I’ve seen around the Dunedin area.  They dwarf the house next door and are more than keeping up with the solitaires to the right. Pictures hardly do them justice - I haven’t seen adonidia’s close to this tall anywhere in the Tampa Bay Area except maybe S. St. Pete.

They even seemed to handle 2010/2011 quite well: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0122274,-82.7852843,3a,57.9y,6.07h,93.29t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skznpSBArxlds6gV7LIPTUw!2e0!5s20110301T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

F59F7515-5E21-4604-A3FE-8B029CE7F331.jpeg

1F181A48-FF8A-4D8B-B2CD-6901E486455F.jpeg

FB67D65A-CB4F-40C4-9609-E5A5D77D3D8D.jpeg

437B2009-295A-41C9-BCA2-EE81C7D690C9.jpeg

Edited by JJPalmer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chinandega81

Are the houses in Central florida built from Cinder Block like in South Florida, or are they wood framed? Hopefully cinder block to help retain heat as the communities up there grow. Great pics from Lakeland....that Banyan tree is amazing. It should be more common in that area! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
1 hour ago, chinandega81 said:

Are the houses in Central florida built from Cinder Block like in South Florida, or are they wood framed? Hopefully cinder block to help retain heat as the communities up there grow. Great pics from Lakeland....that Banyan tree is amazing. It should be more common in that area! 

Both block and wood frame houses exist here.  Mine is block.  There is a lot of new construction downtown, with the cranes visible over top of the skyline.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
On 7/23/2020 at 11:07 PM, Chatta said:

Some fantastical plantings in Carollwood. I saw a nice sized coconut with flowers on hutchinson road across from another palm nutt i met at Franks sale whos got a nice acromea right on the street

I went to Lake Dan the past two weekends and past a couple decent coconuts on the way. They're not super remarkable because they haven't been there that long, but they're doing well now and I think it will be interesting to see how they do over the years: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.1357546,-82.6355212,3a,37.5y,69.35h,91.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa1FtIEAiIy1hv1jXokoyIQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.1324524,-82.6269605,3a,15y,353.74h,91.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0aLOB1AwsuoKHAlXCsaiQg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

 

13 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

I see coconuts in Orlando, plenty of royals as well...and parts of Tamapa and St. Pete look similar to deep south Florida. I'm not sure if the pics are just great microclimate or indicative of general warming in the region.

St. Pete especially... @Palmaceae has said not a single coconut survived the 1980s in Pinellas County and look at it now! St. Pete went from 9b to parts pushing 10b over the course of 30 years. Not too shabby!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The7thLegend
18 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I went to Lake Dan the past two weekends and past a couple decent coconuts on the way. They're not super remarkable because they haven't been there that long, but they're doing well now and I think it will be interesting to see how they do over the years: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.1324524,-82.6269605,3a,15y,353.74h,91.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0aLOB1AwsuoKHAlXCsaiQg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

 

 

That looks like several Queens naturalizing in the woods across the street.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl

Beautiful, impressive photos.  I don't recall seeing any Adonidia taller than that in the Orlando area (though medium-sized trunking specimens are everywhere now), except at the Sanford-Orlando Int'l Airport.  I think St. Pete has always been a 10a and is likely now a 10b.  Central Florida 10a climates can certainly have record freezes that kill all coconuts en-masse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I think St. Pete has always been a 10a and is likely now a 10b.  Central Florida 10a climates can certainly have record freezes that kill all coconuts en-masse.

Yeah, there is a fair portion that's always been 10a. I've just heard the horror stories of the 1980s freezes there. Apparently the bay didn't help all that much. :(

 

As a sidenote...

@PALM MOD, see how long this thread page is? This is why I suggested getting rid of images in quotes. It's tough to scroll down on mobile each time there's a new reply.  

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ruskinPalms

Some nice old bottle palms at the Ellenton Outlet mall. They have seen plenty of freezes over the years and there used to be more that have died. These must have the better genes. 
 

86ECAA40-5CB9-479E-A155-B1719795186D.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chatta

Not sure if these were posted yet but heres some recently planted public Royal Palms planted on S.R. 54 and Community Dr (Odessa)
 

20200913_171105.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...