Jump to content
RedRabbit

Remarkable palms of Tampa Bay

Recommended Posts

Chatta

its a real small area right now with very few plants, mostly natives, a few ornamental/medicinal plants. I think it was started as a way to give ideas to local gardeners for their yards. I also havent really been in years so I don't know the condition of it Just to show you a screenshot of its current area lol. Its pretty small hopefully i can expand it and make it an experience for the park. There's a lot of space outside of the red box to work with i think.

 

kpbg.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

South Florida Avenue - BOA Building - Foxtails Since 2007

A few foxtails on the main drag that have been there for more than 10 years.  A few have fallen by the wayside, but the ones that remain are mature, flowering and seeding.  The Google Maps view goes the whole way back to 2007 if you go back in time incrementally and you can see the growth of these palms over time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

Found 2 Jamaican Talls in St. Pete, on Haines road right off of I-275.  You can see them from the expressway.  Looks like they have been there a long time!

 

20191109_120749.jpg

20191109_120803.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
59 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Found 2 Jamaican Talls in St. Pete, on Haines road right off of I-275.  You can see them from the expressway.  Looks like they have been there a long time!

Here is the Google Maps location for anyone intersted: 2018 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coconuts

They were there in June 2011: 2011 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coconuts

But not in 2007: 2007 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coconuts

Nice find @Palmaceae!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
7 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Here is the Google Maps location for anyone intersted: 2018 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coconuts

They were there in June 2011: 2011 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coco689nuts

But not in 2007: 2007 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coconuts

Nice find @Palmaceae!

Interesting: Not in 2007, but in 2011 they already cleared, by a lot, the 2nd story of that building. 

What? 3 or 4 years of growth?

I can only assume these were transplanted.

I know first hand cocos are rockets when it comes to growth. But this is ridiculous.

Edited by GottmitAlex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae
18 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Here is the Google Maps location for anyone intersted: 2018 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coconuts

They were there in June 2011: 2011 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coconuts

But not in 2007: 2007 - Haines Rd. Jamaican Tall Coconuts

Nice find @Palmaceae!

Thanks Kinzy! They must have been planted when they had some size to them, but at least they have been there at least 8 years plus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
1 hour ago, Palmaceae said:

Found 2 Jamaican Talls in St. Pete, on Haines road right off of I-275.  You can see them from the expressway.  Looks like they have been there a long time!

 

20191109_120749.jpg

20191109_120803.jpg

Thank you! I’ve seen these many times on 275 but never could pinpoint where they really are. Those are about 2 miles from the bay so it should be a coldish location for St. Pete. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
49 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Interesting: Not in 2007, but in 2011 they already cleared, by a lot, the 2nd story of that building. 

What? 3 or 4 years of growth?

I can only assume these were transplanted.

I know first hand cocos are rockets when it comes to growth. But this is ridiculous.

 

34 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Thanks Kinzy! They must have been planted when they had some size to them, but at least they have been there at least 8 years plus.

You're welcome! 

I can't rule out that they may have been there for 2010.  I can personally attest that Jamaican Talls, under proper care, can grow exceptionally fast.  Mine have only been in the ground ~2.5 years as strap leaf seedlings and the fronds have already cleared the apex of my roof and can be seen from the end of the street.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

 

You're welcome! 

I can't rule out that they may have been there for 2010.  I can personally attest that Jamaican Talls, under proper care, can grow exceptionally fast.  Mine have only been in the ground ~2.5 years as strap leaf seedlings and the fronds have already cleared the apex of my roof and can be seen from the end of the street.

2nd story roofline?

Those cocos have their crown above rgat 2nd story roofline. 

 

Edited by GottmitAlex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
4 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

2nd story roofline?

Those cocos have their crown above rgat 2nd story roofline.

Single story in my case.  St. Pete is like a different world climate-wise compared to here though.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SWFLchris

10 headed to Queen in Clearwater. Certainly not remarkable, but fascinating.

748B8E0E-BD20-4ED4-8629-B21D0D3E49C9.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl

That queen certainly is remarkable, but those Jamaican talls!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SWFLchris

Not really Tampa Bay area, but some of the Central Florida folks might like this… Seeding Latania in Winter Haven. https://goo.gl/maps/vzYBxSHo8PrutMQo7

24E0884E-F97D-4A2F-B467-F9D6936868D0.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

@SWFLchris Probably been past this one hundreds of times, but never noticed it until you posted it.  Nice find!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

Herr are those Haines St. coconuts in a July 2009 streetview ;

 

DSC_6718~2.JPG

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

The double-headed Butia near Lake Wire:

May 2011

Jan. 2019

I included the most recent view as well as an older one when they didn't over-trim it.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JJPalmer

We have two beautiful mature coconut palms on the corner of Patricia and Main. Not sure how long they’ve been here, but there’s little in the way of protection from Northerly winds. 

159B1AFD-BD3C-4BE3-9408-35351C1E2D1B.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

@JJPalmer Thank you for the picture and welcome to the forums!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JJPalmer

@kinzujr Thank you! New to the area and hobby.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae
8 hours ago, JJPalmer said:

We have two beautiful mature coconut palms on the corner of Patricia and Main. Not sure how long they’ve been here, but there’s little in the way of protection from Northerly winds. 

159B1AFD-BD3C-4BE3-9408-35351C1E2D1B.jpeg

Welcome! That is amazing to see coconuts that size that far north in Pinellas county! Since I moved back to St Pete this past summer from Cape Coral, I am just amazed of the change from the 1980's to today in regards to the species of palms in this area that had no chance in the 80's.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

Went to the Florida Botanical Garden plant sale today in Largo and picked up a Panama Tall coconut and a Red Spicata, and a couple other tropicals.  I did take a few pictures of palms at the gardens.

They had 4 nice size coconuts.

20191207_094448.jpg

20191207_094510.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

20191207_094519.jpg

Nice Hyphaene and Coccothrinax crinta

20191207_094534.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

Copernicia baileyana

20191207_094618.jpg

Zombia antillarum

20191207_095130.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

They had several real nice Livistona decora's

20191207_095717.jpg

20191207_110437.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

Allagoptera arenaria

20191207_110727.jpg

20191207_112824.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
6 hours ago, JJPalmer said:

@kinzujr Thank you! New to the area and hobby.

Welcome to the forum and the Tampa Bay Area. I’ve driven past those coconuts a few times and was surprised myself to see them. :greenthumb:

3 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Went to the Florida Botanical Garden plant sale today in Largo and picked up a Panama Tall coconut and a Red Spicata, and a couple other tropicals.  I did take a few pictures of palms at the gardens.

They had 4 nice size coconuts.

20191207_094448.jpg

20191207_094510.jpg

Nice purchases! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×