IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Remarkable palms of Tampa Bay

RedRabbit

Just now, SWFLchris said:

I know of a group of 3 much taller ones planted behind a house on the water in New Port Richey. No idea how long they have been there though

Awesome, I'm glad to hear of some coconuts in Pasco. Can you share where they're at? 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

5 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Awesome, I'm glad to hear of some coconuts in Pasco. Can you share where they're at? 

Dont remember exactly where as I was fishing behind it, but its in Baileys Bluff

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SWFLchris said:

Dont remember exactly where as I was fishing behind it, but its in Baileys Bluff

I may have found one here:   https://www.google.com/maps/@28.2059108,-82.7821616,3a,15y,95.04h,88.57t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1suu6ny8_BkyqU8QtjSoCoSA!2e0!5s20140401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Looks like another 2010 survivor.  :greenthumb:

• Like 2

Nannorrhops ritchiana - If I've identified this one correctly, not remarkable in the sense that it's a zone 10a/b plant that survived our worst freezes, but one you don't see very often.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

58 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Nannorrhops ritchiana - If I've identified this one correctly, not remarkable in the sense that it's a zone 10a/b plant that survived our worst freezes, but one you don't see very often.

Hello Kinzy, I believe that is a Hyphaene (Gingerbread palm), not a Nannorrhops.  Nannorrhops is a very hardy palm from Afghanistan in which it can take a lot of cold and drought conditions.

You don't see Nannorrhops often here but there is one at Kopsick. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

7 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Hello Kinzy, I believe that is a Hyphane (Gingerbread palm), not a Nannorhops.  Nannorhops is a very hardy palm from Afghanistan in which it can take a lot of cold and drought conditions.

Thank you for the correction.  I have seen the one at Kopsick.  They're interesting to say the least.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

And a green Bismarckia to the left of the Hyphaene.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Took me a while to get a photo, some A. alexandrae in my moms yard in Clearwater. Planted from 3gals in 2009, 15gal at the base for reference.

E5E8F413-EC53-4F29-B8F4-4AF6AFDFF503.jpeg

• Like 6

Here is what I believe to be Ptychosperma elegans (since it hasn't re-clumped) in Lake Hamilton.  There were originally a clump of 3, but only one has survived since 2008.  On the April 2011 view, you can see the severe damage done by the winter of 2010-2011.

Ptychosperma - Lake Hamilton - Crump Rd.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Here is what I believe to be Ptychosperma elegans (since it hasn't re-clumped) in Lake Hamilton.  There were originally a clump of 3, but only one has survived since 2008.  On the April 2011 view, you can see the severe damage done by the winter of 2010-2011.

Nice find! It looks like there is a second group of them in the background. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

That one could be Veitchia.  Thank you for sharing Jeremy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

That one could be Veitchia.  Thank you for sharing Jeremy!

Could be.  This is one I've never actually seen in person.  Strictly a Google map find by looking at a map of Polk and asking, "Where is there a possible microclimate that could have sustained something tender through 2010 and 2018?"

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

I saw this over the weekend a few doors down from a friends house in Clearwater, Belleview Island.  I know it is some kind of Copernicia, but I am not sure exactly which. Anyone have an idea?

AC98ECA7-5F11-4FA9-A5F1-F0E111DF60C5.jpeg

• Like 7

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

looks like it could be a silver bailey but it also looks like it has a small(compact) crown for a bailey of that height.  Perhaps it is still recovering from IRMA storm damage.  My C. fallaense and bailey did not do well in IRMA. 

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I've contacted the Tampa Riverwalk people to see if I can donate some plants to make the riverwalk a little more botanically interesting. Hoping they're cool with it! Would be great if the Tampa Riverwalk was similar to the Ft. Lauderdale Riverwalk. Would be really great to see what all would do well there being right on the river, and with the urban heat island effect.

• Like 2

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Here’s a pre-2007 Royal in Land O’ Lakes.  Google Maps showed it at a much smaller size in 2007, but I think they just updated it this year.

ED5F0999-7AC0-405E-981E-FF486AE9E2F5.jpeg

9695029E-D086-4CF3-AE58-45B17FC3933F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A really exceptional Hyphaene in St. Pete!  I think this was actually in Seminole, but I honestly don’t remember.  It’s a knockout though!  

FD4B14F6-DE92-4D15-B7D8-8C1001A92A67.jpeg

A856902A-920C-451A-912C-2D8EF96B5E64.jpeg

6BC1D0E1-CBFE-4DE6-B62C-A49BE11D78AB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

One last one:  A Beccariophoenix in Seminole, that the owner claimed was five years from a one gallon palm in December ‘18.

BTW, sorry if I’m outside of the map area on any of these!  The map isn’t showing on the original post on my phone, for whatever reason.

CFFD8936-E3EC-47C3-AD7B-0367040F01D8.jpeg

F5C43B01-C641-49A5-8E7E-223235D00E25.jpeg

C5C5850A-31DF-495E-928B-69AF58B99388.jpeg

0747FAAD-2026-4BE7-8CEB-B15D375D06BC.jpeg

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

One last one:  A Beccariophoenix in Seminole, that the owner claimed was five years from a one gallon palm in December ‘18.

BTW, sorry if I’m outside of the map area on any of these!  The map isn’t showing on the original post on my phone, for whatever reason.

CFFD8936-E3EC-47C3-AD7B-0367040F01D8.jpeg

F5C43B01-C641-49A5-8E7E-223235D00E25.jpeg

C5C5850A-31DF-495E-928B-69AF58B99388.jpeg

0747FAAD-2026-4BE7-8CEB-B15D375D06BC.jpeg

It's beautiful!

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 minute ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Jeff985 those pics of the B.Alfredii should win you over :drool:

I was already sold. Now that I know where to get one, I’m just waiting for a day off. 

15 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I think i might be sold now to haha 

Why isn’t there a dislike option I can click?

1 hour ago, Bigfish said:

Woah, great beccariophoenix! Is this fenestralis? 

Thanks for sharing all the pics!!! :greenthumb:

3 hours ago, Chatta said:

I've contacted the Tampa Riverwalk people to see if I can donate some plants to make the riverwalk a little more botanically interesting. Hoping they're cool with it! Would be great if the Tampa Riverwalk was similar to the Ft. Lauderdale Riverwalk. Would be really great to see what all would do well there being right on the river, and with the urban heat island effect.

Where are you thinking of planting on the Riverwalk?

Downtown does have a pretty solid microclimate, particularly south of about Kennedy. I recall leaving a lightning game one night and watched the temp drop by over 15f between downtown and my old home in Carrollwood. 

44 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Where are you thinking of planting on the Riverwalk?

Downtown does have a pretty solid microclimate, particularly south of about Kennedy. I recall leaving a lightning game one night and watched the temp drop by over 15f between downtown and my old home in Carrollwood. 

I have a few potential site ideas, I would really love to redesign the Laurel Street and Doyle Carlton intersection which would increase the size of the parks on both sides of the street, add even more space for a potential palm and tropical tree garden, or rare plants could just be sprinkled all up and down the riverwalk in vaccant spaces or under neath oak canopies for extra protection. Would also love to add more varities of plants and trees to the newley completed Julien B Lane Park

2nd Site is the MacDill Park, theres not a lot of trees here, would be great to add something there.

3rd Site is Plant Park which I think is begging for more plants... no pun intended.

4th potential site I think all the trees were removed from Kilely Gardens because of roots penetrating the roof deck, but would be nice to have something replanted for a short time til the roots hit the deck again, but doubt they'll wanna do anything like that.

Untitled-1.jpg

SITE 2.jpg

PLANT PARK.jpg

• Like 3

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

While i'm thinkin about it another potential site would be that park just south of the arena

There is plans to expand the riverwalk one day around the Chanel perhaps it could be added to the plans there.

site5.jpg

• Like 2

Isn't Plant Park a part of UT? 

Of the sites you mentioned I like MacDill Park the most. I see some crossfit people using it pretty often, but as long as they don't object I think it should be okay. 

They're building some sort of park under the Selmon Expressway so they might be receptive to that.  Also, if you want to consider places outside of downtown then Picnic Island would be a great spot for palms. It probably has the best microclimate in Tampa. 

2 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Isn't Plant Park a part of UT? 

Of the sites you mentioned I like MacDill Park the most. I see some crossfit people using it pretty often, but as long as they don't object I think it should be okay. 

They're building some sort of park under the Selmon Expressway so they might be receptive to that.  Also, if you want to consider places outside of downtown then Picnic Island would be a great spot for palms. It probably has the best microclimate in Tampa. 

Yes which means I'd need to contact them, I went to UT but transferred, I don't see why they would oppose to making a botanical garden on the river edge. The design as it is now is by no means historic, it has been many different designs including an orange grove.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chatta said:

Yes which means I'd need to contact them, I went to UT but transferred, I don't see why they would oppose to making a botanical garden on the river edge. The design as it is now is by no means historic, it has been many different designs including an orange grove.

Keep us posted, I'd certainly like a palm garden in Tampa somewhere. Maybe they can even provide some funding. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Woah, great beccariophoenix! Is this fenestralis? 

Thanks for sharing all the pics!!! :greenthumb:

I think it’s madagascariensis, but the owner didn’t seem 100% sure himself.  I’m told that the growth rate is probably too fast to be alfredii.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

I think it’s madagascariensis, but the owner didn’t seem 100% sure himself.  I’m told that the growth rate is probably too fast to be alfredii.  

I agree that does seem fast for an alfredii. There's a big fenestralis in St. Pete so I was thinking it might be that... I can't really tell mature beccariophoenix apart well tbh. 

• Like 3

Not a palm, but I saw a little strangler fig at Busch and Florida today.  No idea what it is doing there, it's not close to the bay or even the Hillsborough River. 

• Like 2

this looks different than my large BA, 25' overall in 8 plus years from a 3 gallon, though I dug it up after the first year and changed the grow site.   It has only 18" of trunk but is about 25'.  BA's can be faster than most of you think, just dont plant in shade as it may half the growth.  the copper colored leaf bases and the petiole shape look different than my BA.  Fenestrailis can get a very fat trunk, this one is just starting to thicken up.  The leaves seem notably shorter than all my alfredii, I think those will get longer soon its likely a juvenile.  When my BA started to show trunk it was 3-4' taller than this palm.  BA gets a fat trunk but fenestrailis is even fatter and it holds fewer leaves with heavier petioles than BA.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

@Chatta -  I drove past this Eucalyptus deglupta yesterday in Odessa. First one I've seen in Hillsborough county. :D

Hehe thats right down the street from my girlfriends house, I drive by it a lot! Its a beauty!

If you turn down Lake Maurine Dr. from S. Mobley Rd and go all the way down youll find a decent palm garden just past Spruson Street on the right, its a private house but you can still see quite a bunch of cool palms, Carpoxylon, Flamethrowers, Kings, couple others i couldnt ID

BTW I am in contact with the Keystone Civic Association about donating some palms and other plants to Keystone Park where they already have a very small botanical garden. Hope to make it pretty legit, Its in the area between the Library and the community center

• Like 3

On 10/20/2019 at 11:49 PM, Chatta said:

Hehe thats right down the street from my girlfriends house, I drive by it a lot! Its a beauty!

If you turn down Lake Maurine Dr. from S. Mobley Rd and go all the way down youll find a decent palm garden just past Spruson Street on the right, its a private house but you can still see quite a bunch of cool palms, Carpoxylon, Flamethrowers, Kings, couple others i couldnt ID

BTW I am in contact with the Keystone Civic Association about donating some palms and other plants to Keystone Park where they already have a very small botanical garden. Hope to make it pretty legit, Its in the area between the Library and the community center

Found it on streetview, pretty nice garden! I'll have to stop by Keystone Park sometime and check out the botanical garden there. Hopefully they'll let you do some planting. :)

• Like 1