IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Remarkable palms of Tampa Bay

RedRabbit

5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

There is a mansion at Lake Hollingsworth that has a very large Archontophoenix (40-50 feet) inside a small courtyard.  It is tall enough that you can see it's full crown above the front of the mansion from the road.  I'll have to get a picture next time I'm down that way.  If you want to be in mature, fruiting Archontophoenix heaven, Hollis Gardens has quite a few in a small 1.2 acre space.

2 minute narrated video tour: Fox 13 Hollis Gardens Tour

At the 50 second mark, you can probably make out at least one of the Dypsis decaryi if you have a real sharp eye.  The Archontophoenix were not there in 2010 unfortunately, but the Dypsis was there and has continued to thrive.

What a beautiful park. I’ll have to stop by and visit sometime. :)

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Town 'N' Country - Hillsborough & Sheldon

Not looking good now, but these coconuts managed to survive the freezes of 2010:

tnccoconuts.thumb.png.6a3b4a1effe987212f0c68a5926949ad.png

They're the most northern survivors I'm aware of in Hillsborough County.  

On a related note, this is probably also the approximate line for where Zone 10 ends along Tampa Bay. There were previously some coconuts directly on the bay in Oldsmar that didn't make it. Further, I haven't seen any strangler figs growing in the Upper Tampa Bay Park. When you put it all together, that area probably isn't 10a despite being right on the bay.

OLDSMAR.thumb.png.63150886802214e382ce78d3dc8cb82d.png

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Not looking good now, but these coconuts managed to survive the freezes of 2010:

On a related note, this is probably also the approximate line for where Zone 10 ends along Tampa Bay. There were previously some coconuts directly on the bay in Oldsmar that didn't make it. Further, I haven't seen any strangler figs growing in the Upper Tampa Bay Park. When you put it all together, that area probably isn't 10a despite being right on the bay.

Oldsmar is definitely zone 9b despite all of the coastal influence. I lived there for 3 years during high school. It gets at minimum 2-3 degrees cooler on the worst nights than even Clearwater, which is less than 10 miles south. I would say the line is more likely further south, around Dunedin/Safety Harbor.

• Like 3

I honestly have no idea what this is, I assume some sort of Dypsis?

This is in my neighborhood in Clearwater. Clearly a collectors yard, a ton of cool stuff. I would assume a fellow palmtalker, I have not made my way over there to introduce myself yet.

DC1415DF-47D3-435D-825E-0CC4E25FCC79.jpeg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, SWFLchris said:

The trunk has some similarity to the Dypsis lasteliana I posted earlier from near our city hall in Lakeland.  That would be my guess at this point.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

9 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Somebody fertilize those poor coconuts.  Interesting observations regarding the zone in that area.

• Like 1

Ive been seeing alot of mules gettin planted by DOT

• Like 2

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

13 hours ago, SWFLchris said:

Oldsmar is definitely zone 9b despite all of the coastal influence. I lived there for 3 years during high school. It gets at minimum 2-3 degrees cooler on the worst nights than even Clearwater, which is less than 10 miles south. I would say the line is more likely further south, around Dunedin/Safety Harbor.

I think you're right. Safety Harbor probably is zone 10; they've got a nice Ficus aurea growing in Philippe Point Park and homes along Bayshore look pretty tropical. Its something about that one corner of Tampa Bay where Oldsmar is a little colder. 

10 hours ago, SWFLchris said:

This is in my neighborhood in Clearwater. Clearly a collectors yard, a ton of cool stuff. I would assume a fellow palmtalker, I have not made my way over there to introduce myself yet.

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking Dypsis madagascariensis.

8 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Wow, very impressive. Thanks for sharing. :greenthumb:

4 hours ago, Palmə häl′ik said:

Ive been seeing alot of mules gettin planted by DOT

Same here. First it was on the Veterans, but I've seen them other places now too. Great choice on their part, mules are good looking palms. 

• Like 2

Those areas by oldsmar are 9B because the cold comes from the north over land.  Pinellas is surrounded by water and is warmest on the SW gulf front, a solid 10A for sure.  Generally in winter the cold comes from NW or N to the tampa area as coming from the west will be warmed up as it will come over water.   Further south on tampa bay east shore is 10a in some places depending on distance to the water.  But since 2010 most of these areas have had 10a weather.  I worked in largo in 2010 and got to see all the damage to peninsular east pinellas while west pinellas was much less damaged.  

• Like 4

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Archonto myolensis, 2 palms I got from mike evans in 2011 as 3 gallon with partly divided leaves.  One is putting out an inflorescence for the first time.

myolainflorescence.jpg

MyolaSept2019.jpg

• Like 6

Tom Blank

Borassus Aethiopum has had a tough life, from being mowed as a newly planted seedling to IRMA snapping half the petioles(4) and shredding leaves.  Now it is back on track with 3 spears waiting to open and 3 already opened this growing season.  It has the biggest leaves across of any of my fan palms including bismarckia, and its still a juvenile.

borassusAE2.jpg

• Like 5

Tom Blank

I’ve posted this in another thread before, but it’s worth posting here. 

This is a Syagrus romanzoffiana north of Dade City, with very stiff/upright fronds. 

50D72FA4-1377-448C-9121-48793EE5A834.jpeg

• Like 3

....and another repeat picture post. 

A nice group of some of the “legendary” A. totai of Dade City, FL

E8E0AABC-DC07-4DE3-A31D-63BDACE7A163.jpeg

• Like 6

Two very nice Becarriophoenix alfredii planted near some fish farm in Dade City ;)

These were acquired from @Mike Evans as 7gal specimens a year ago. They’ve since earned 2’ of overall height and spread. 

0B01E827-14EA-49A2-99C3-FDAAC58F2D84.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Also at Dade City fish farm, is a very unusual Livistona decora, showing variegated leaflets and petioles!!! 

This specimen was also acquired from @Mike Evans  

D9C840C2-C34A-419B-A495-09A2A6FBC1DA.jpeg

835B1E56-787C-4F0B-A15D-109DEEDD609F.jpeg

• Like 4

On 9/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, SWFLchris said:

DC1415DF-47D3-435D-825E-0CC4E25FCC79.jpeg

Looks like Dypsis madagascariensis

Heres a Carpoxylon Macrospermum I think in Keystone, prob been there a few years
This yard has some nice exotics, King Palms, flame thrower few others I couldnt ID

20190525_100838.jpg

• Like 5

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

My moms Triangle Palms, these are pre-09 in Keystone

20190704_140816.jpg

20190704_162731.jpg

• Like 7

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Royal Palms in Keystone, Coconut Palms Keystone

keystoneroyal.jpg

keystone.jpg

1725691612_foxescornerroyalpalms.thumb.jpg.92752b1f808a246183fe97f21edf4152.jpg

cocokeysteon.jpg

keystonecoconut2.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/31/2019 at 9:07 PM, RedRabbit said:

That’s awesome to see. I’ve noticed a few municipalities planting P sargentii in S Florida, but nothing this far north. It’s well worth trying in Lakeland and I’ll be interested to see how they do. :)

What is the Latin name of the 3 crownshafted palms grouped together behind that white car? Absolutely gorgeous. I want to save the pic with the correct name.

Merci

Pat

Edited by Hardypalms

Some Central Tampa Plants

20180821_142104.jpg

20180821_142128.jpg

20190103_134847.jpg

20190106_115406.jpg

20190106_115505.jpg

20190106_115528.jpg

20190322_145543.jpg

20190322_145526.jpg

20190819_153550.jpg

20190718_135123.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hardypalms said:

What is the Latin name of the 3 crownshafted palms grouped together behind that white car? Absolutely gorgeous. I want to save the pic with the correct name.

Merci

Pat

They look like Archontophoenix alexandrae.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sabal Mauritformis, Royal Palm, C Gigas in Lutz, He also has a Sygarus Armara but looks like i forgot to take a pick last time I was at his garden.

20190525_155456.jpg

20190525_155547.jpg

20190525_160225.jpg

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Chatta said:

Sabal Mauritformis, Royal Palm, C Gigas in Lutz, He also has a Sygarus Armara but looks like i forgot to take a pick last time I was at his garden.

I’m surprised any of those are in Lutz, S amara especially.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Those areas by oldsmar are 9B because the cold comes from the north over land.  Pinellas is surrounded by water and is warmest on the SW gulf front, a solid 10A for sure.  Generally in winter the cold comes from NW or N to the tampa area as coming from the west will be warmed up as it will come over water.   Further south on tampa bay east shore is 10a in some places depending on distance to the water.  But since 2010 most of these areas have had 10a weather.  I worked in largo in 2010 and got to see all the damage to peninsular east pinellas while west pinellas was much less damaged.  

Yep, I’m sure being on the north side of the bay has a lot to do with it. It’s slightly weird to me that cocos on the bay in Oldsmar died while those  a little further from the bay in TNC managed to live. Perhaps there’s another factor involved like water depth.

9 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Archonto myolensis, 2 palms I got from mike evans in 2011 as 3 gallon with partly divided leaves.  One is putting out an inflorescence for the first time.

MyolaSept2019.jpg

That A myolensis looks great. I bought a couple from Mike too, but they’re at an old home in S Tampa. 

• Like 1

I forgot about this nursery down the street from me that has all these great palms. I've seen Kings in the field, Coconuts, Royals, various others. One of these days I'm gonna buy some stuff from em haha (All in Keystone)

keystonewhat.jpg

keystonecoconut3.jpg

fieldroyalskeystone.jpg

keystonekingpalm.jpg

cocokeystone3.jpg

• Like 4

Was at Tampa General Hospital today, we go there often unfortunately but decided to take some pictures of palms planted there. There are Veitchia's on the south side of one of the buildings and quite a few Royals all around. Also saw several Adonidia's and Archontophoenix. 

IMG_20190904_131215939.jpg

IMG_20190904_131256497.jpg

• Like 6

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

25 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Was at Tampa General Hospital today, we go there often unfortunately but decided to take some pictures of palms planted there. There are Veitchia's on the south side of one of the buildings and quite a few Royals all around. Also saw several Adonidia's and Archontophoenix. 

IMG_20190904_131215939.jpg

IMG_20190904_131256497.jpg

Davis Island has a lot of nice palms. The microclimate there is arguably the best in Tampa.

TGH has some nice palms on the property. In addition to the Veitchias and Royals, there is a courtyard to the right of the valet with a nice golden malayan coconut, a big bottle and spindle, and a pretty big Ravanea rivularis. There are also some nice foxtails, Rhapis, Dypsis lutescens, and Acoelorrhaphe, as well as some Archontophoenix near the mcdonalds entrance. I'm gonna try to get somebody to let me put in a Beccariophoenix alfredii somewhere once my seedlings are big enough. 

• Like 4

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

TGH has some nice palms on the property. In addition to the Veitchias and Royals, there is a courtyard to the right of the valet with a nice golden malayan coconut, a big bottle and spindle, and a pretty big Ravanea rivularis. There are also some nice foxtails, Rhapis, Dypsis lutescens, and Acoelorrhaphe, as well as some Archontophoenix near the mcdonalds entrance. I'm gonna try to get somebody to let me put in a Beccariophoenix alfredii somewhere once my seedlings are big enough. 

Keith, I saw all the other palms you mentioned the times I have been there except for the coconut, I will have to find it next time!

This guy must have gotten a really great deal on coconut palms here in St Pete!

IMG_20190905_140018530.jpg

IMG_20190905_140003378.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 9/4/2019 at 6:08 PM, Palmaceae said:

Keith, I saw all the other palms you mentioned the times I have been there except for the coconut, I will have to find it next time!

Look at the 2:00 mark.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

7 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Look at the 2:00 mark.

Yeah I heard about this guy, he is open for one month during the year, I will have to check it out!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Yeah I heard about this guy, he is open for one month during the year, I will have to check it out!

Lol yeah. I think 3 or 4 months tops.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)