Jump to content
RJ

More cold hardy mule? Perhaps....

Recommended Posts

RJ

So I don't tend to post many picks of hybrids I've purchased from Patric until I get a chance to get an idea of what they will look like. I've always really liked the Yatay mule that @_Keith has that is a showstopper. So I did purchase a few from Patric last year and they are now starting to go pinate.  However in talking with Patric he peaked my interest when he mentioned he had a Yatay X (Mule). Now from my understanding Mules tend to have sterile pollen so it's pretty interesting that patric has pulled this cross off. After a few questions directed at patric and a little digging the mule pollen came from one of two palms that @Gtlevine has in his amazing garden. These mules are the offspring of a huge mule that was created by the late Dr. Wilcox and was sent to HBG in Ca. This mule for some reason has viable seeds, or at least some are. Garry germinated two of them and has them growing in his garden- one of them is the daddy to this hybrid.  (Hopefully I have this linage correct)

 

So I purchased this palm last year from Patric as a 5g plant. As is par for the course, it arrived in excellent shape and I received it in the end of July 2018. I potted it up into a 15g and it has never looked back since. I have not tested this palm in the cold but I would venture to guess given the genetics that this palm is at least a tad but more cold hardy then a traditional mule which tend to be reliable to the mid to upper teens depending on the genetics of specific plant. Given that this palm should be a tad more hardy. It's not as soft as a mule but not nearly as rigid as a typical butia. My hunch is this might be a great alternative to those who can't quite pull off a mule reliably.  I have this plant in 80% sun.  

 

Here it is Last July 25th 2018 in a 5g:

 

 

 

Yatay X Mule 7-25-18.JPG

Yatay X Mule 7-25-18 b.JPG

 

October 25th  2018

BBQ 10-24-18.JPG

 

August 20th 2019

Yatay_x_Mule_8-30-19_b_Low.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

Nice growth and beautiful form. 

What is your potting mix, and fertilizing schedule if you have one?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen

If it's like mine it will outgrow pots in a couple years from now.   Looks great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

I have one of Patric's Yatay mules in the ground here. It did spear pull the winter we had freezing rain, snow & 16F but has fully recovered. One thing I have noticed is that recently it has gotten hooks on the ends of the leaves. If you do a forum search you will find photos of the damage it sustained from the freeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

So, I am guessing that the Butia Yatay x Syagrus Romanzoffiana type of Mule Palm is LESS cold-hardy than a regular mule?  

 

Wow, Laaz, I can't believe you had such harsh winter weather in Charleston two years in row!  I thought it was never supposed to snow in Charleston or drop below the low or mid- 20s, at the worst.  What a fluke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

Two years in a row? Only Jan, 2018. Last winter our low was 28F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
On 8/30/2019 at 9:53 PM, Dartolution said:

Nice growth and beautiful form. 

What is your potting mix, and fertilizing schedule if you have one?

 

 

Nothing special for fertilizing. I tend to actually be VERY conservative with fertilizers.  I use  Jobe's organic palm fertilizer at about half the recommended dose every two months. 

This particular palm is in a mixture of large pine bark chips, pine bark soil amendment chips (just smaller version of the larger chips), I then add some mushroom compost from Lowes that is sand based.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
On 8/30/2019 at 11:11 PM, Allen said:

If it's like mine it will outgrow pots in a couple years from now.   Looks great!

Hopefully going in the ground next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
20 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

So, I am guessing that the Butia Yatay x Syagrus Romanzoffiana type of Mule Palm is LESS cold-hardy than a regular mule?  

 

On the contrary I would venture to speculate it's actually a tad MORE cold hardy then a run of the mill mule. Keith said his laughed off 16, Buffy (Cameron) on this board had his large one pull thought 8F, although just barely, and with help.  I have read other accounts on this board suggesting that the YxQ is slightly more cold hardy then a stadard mule. However, of course YMMV. 

What I find intriguing about the Yatay mules is that Yatay is by far the tallest of the butia's so his cross should make a pretty good statement. It's also makes for a more tropical looking mule IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
14 hours ago, Laaz said:

Two years in a row? Only Jan, 2018. Last winter our low was 28F.

My low last year was 24 so that sounds about right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

What is YMMV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
16 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

What is YMMV?

B) Your Millage May Vary .... simply every plant, especially a hybrid can be significantly different.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy
On 9/2/2019 at 7:46 AM, RJ said:

Keith said his laughed off 16, Buffy (Cameron) on this board had his large one pull thought 8F, although just barely, and with help.  I have read other accounts on this board suggesting that the YxQ is slightly more cold hardy then a stadard mule. However, of course YMMV. 

The 8F was unprotected. I protected it last year to allow additional growth during the winter months and provide protection. The winter lows this past winter didn't require it. I'll probably protect it again this winter in hopes of a really full crown by this time next summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, RJ said:

B) Your Millage May Vary .... simply every plant, especially a hybrid can be significantly different.    

Wow its true you learn something everyday haha I had no guess what ymmv meant.  I'm really digging the look of your yatay mule It so wants to be in the ground =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow its true you learn something everyday haha I had no guess what ymmv meant.  I'm really digging the look of your yatay mule It so wants to be in the ground =)

Just started clearing my land for the new house so hopefully it will get started here in the next couple months. 4 acres of palm bliss :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
4 hours ago, RJ said:

Just started clearing my land for the new house so hopefully it will get started here in the next couple months. 4 acres of palm bliss :)

 

That is awesome im looking for more room for palms myself 4 acres sounds like plenty of room haha. Cant wait to see pics of your new garden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

I’m growing Patric’s Yatay mule in San Marcos, Tx and it has rapidly grown into a monster specimen.  It was a 15 gal plant in 2015 when I planted it- it now has a thick trunk of more than 8’ and is blooming for the first time.  It’s grown faster than regular mules and seems to be quite a bit larger than regular mules also. 

1855D1B1-432C-4EFF-BA61-E865B122BFB8.jpeg

39E1F594-8651-4DC1-8A83-A437DC80B8B6.jpeg

76D3A2A7-0CA7-4CFA-81C3-075E9F54C30E.jpeg

DC9D9DF6-203F-4DAD-B8F7-804911653366.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

9BDB1C40-9A19-40DE-A85F-172AA1515A6F.thumb.jpeg.54031a98657a4bb0a205a88bbaf6e092.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve in Florida

Butia yatay can bloom at a smaller size.  One of mine has been blooming yearly since it was only 5.5 feet tall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
15 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

I’m growing Patric’s Yatay mule in San Marcos, Tx and it has rapidly grown into a monster specimen.  It was a 15 gal plant in 2015 when I planted it- it now has a thick trunk of more than 8’ and is blooming for the first time.  It’s grown faster than regular mules and seems to be quite a bit larger than regular mules also. 

1855D1B1-432C-4EFF-BA61-E865B122BFB8.jpeg

Matt, nice palm!  Do you have a flowering Butia also?  Good opportunity for some hybridizing if you do!  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
48 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Matt, nice palm!  Do you have a flowering Butia also?  Good opportunity for some hybridizing if you do!  :D 

That's the kicker. Exactly what is pretty cool about the palm I purchased from Patric, most mules are pollen sterile. For some reason the palm the Dr. Wilcox created seems to have viable pollen/seeds to some extent. It seems that is the exception rather then the norm.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
44 minutes ago, RJ said:

That's the kicker. Exactly what is pretty cool about the palm I purchased from Patric, most mules are pollen sterile. For some reason the palm the Dr. Wilcox created seems to have viable pollen/seeds to some extent. It seems that is the exception rather then the norm.   

My understanding is that the mules are self-sterile but I thought that they could be back-crossed with another palm.  I remember seeing a forum member pollinate a regular mule with Syagrus pollen.  I remember it set seed but don't know if any germinated.  Am I wrong?  I once was given a single seed from a regular mule that had been naturally pollinated by a nearby Butia (supposedly - they were both flowering at the same time) but the seed never germinated so I don't have first-hand experience with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe NC
4 hours ago, Fusca said:

My understanding is that the mules are self-sterile but I thought that they could be back-crossed with another palm.  I remember seeing a forum member pollinate a regular mule with Syagrus pollen.  I remember it set seed but don't know if any germinated.  Am I wrong?  I once was given a single seed from a regular mule that had been naturally pollinated by a nearby Butia (supposedly - they were both flowering at the same time) but the seed never germinated so I don't have first-hand experience with this.

I tried hand pollinating my flowering mule with Butia pollen this summer.  Not a single seed set...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

Wow, Matt-in-Dallas, your Butia Yatay x Syagrus Romanzoffiana (Yatay Mule) looks fantastic and huge.  Could you possibly post a photo which shows the entire tree, including the full crown?  I am trying to get the big picture of its shape, but I am having trouble with those close-up above.  Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Keith
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
6
On 8/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, RJ said:

So I don't tend to post many picks of hybrids I've purchased from Patric until I get a chance to get an idea of what they will look like. I've always really liked the Yatay mule that @_Keith has that is a showstopper. So I did purchase a few from Patric last year and they are now starting to go pinate.  However in talking with Patric he peaked my interest when he mentioned he had a Yatay X (Mule). Now from my understanding Mules tend to have sterile pollen so it's pretty interesting that patric has pulled this cross off. After a few questions directed at patric and a little digging the mule pollen came from one of two palms that @Gtlevine has in his amazing garden. These mules are the offspring of a huge mule that was created by the late Dr. Wilcox and was sent to HBG in Ca. This mule for some reason has viable seeds, or at least some are. Garry germinated two of them and has them growing in his garden- one of them is the daddy to this hybrid.  (Hopefully I have this linage correct)

 

 

16 degrees nearly proved to be the undoing of that Yatay Mule.   Two years later, it resembles nothing of its former self.  I am afraid that beauty will never return.  Some commercial entities pulled out their mules and replaced with P. dacts which suffered less damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

Here’s a pic of the yatay mule that has it’s blooms pictured above: 

BA07DBAF-7567-4894-9080-DFAE640473A9.jpeg

389CE2FC-64DE-4B16-A7FC-893439831BEB.jpeg

F0C32528-9A26-4AF0-B207-F5723C29B585.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

Here’s a smaller yatay mule that is only two years younger than the large one: 

826F9148-14DD-4E46-A3C6-08501D75AE24.jpeg

0DAB9DA7-589F-4F75-8833-67E0564C9C9B.jpeg

E0105145-612F-4FB0-ABB5-51D2210A3DCB.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

Butia x lytocaryum w.:

FFAAB9C2-3E22-419C-904B-95820DE505CE.jpeg

9B291209-890E-4F26-8298-1702EB1C6D84.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr

@Matt N- Dallas You have some nice Mules growing. What kind of protection do you give them ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

Thank you OC2.  I don’t protect them.  They are on their own as far as temps go.  The yatay mule has not been any more cold hardy than the regular mules.  The butia x lytocaryum is more tender than the other mules.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr

@Matt N- Dallas Your mules are in excellent shape, how bad were they hit from the Jan 2018 cold snap. You must have a pretty nice micro climate there. Your lyto mule is spectacular =) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

The mules were about 35% burned and the lyto mule was about 90% burned from the early Jan 2018 cold snap.  These are growing in San Marcos, TX 8b so there is no urban heat island, but I have a heavy stand of live oak and juniper to the N & W that help blunt the wind during cold events.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      As I posted earlier this week, I lost my large, mature Sabal palmetto Lisa to lingering damage from Hurricane Irma. But I still have two juvenile Sabal Lisas that I grew from seeds collected from a Ft. Myers city park. I have high hopes they will someday flower and set seeds like my first one. Here they are today.
      Sabal Lisa the larger

      Sabal Lisa the smaller

    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Please join me in mourning the passing of my oldest and largest Sabal palmetto Lisa, which has provided many seeds and seedlings over the past 5 years. I received it as a 2-leaf seedling in May 2008 from a generous local PTer. It started flowering and setting seeds around 2014. I believe but can't prove that it suffered some kind of damage from Hurricane Irma in 2017. It aborted its seeds in 2018 and never flowered at all in 2019. By then it stopped growing and fronds died, starting with the newest. Today we gave up hope for it and cut it down. First photo is of what's left of its trunk. Second photo was taken 11 months ago when it still looked its best. I have two juvenile Sabal Lisas left on my garden lot.
      Sabal Lisa RIP, Cape Coral, FL  3/16/20

      Sabal Lisa, Cape Coral, FL 4/30/19

    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I collect rare specimens of the variable Sabal minor, esp. those that are dwarfs or uber dwarfs. I got many of those from Plant Delights Nursery, which offers Sabal palms sporadically, sometimes as one-off sales. When they have one I want, I know to order quickly because it may never be offered again. Such is the case for two different Sabal minors I pounced upon nearly two years ago and haven't seen since. I have them in my garden lot where they have gone pinnate. Today I took photos of them. They are quite distinct.
      Sabal minor 'Welfare', Texas aka the "Poor Scrub" palmetto
      This palm occurs as a population in grasslands near the ghost town of Welfare in Kendall County, TX. Some plants will grow trunks up to 8' tall. The juvenile I have is approx. 2' tall x 2' wide. Check out the link to PDN below:
      https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-welfare

       
      Sabal minor 'High Springs', FL
      This dwarf Sabal minor comes from the town of High Springs in Alachua County, FL. It is distinctive for being very short, 2' tall, and wide, 4' wide. Leaf pinnae are notably narrow. Flower stalks reach 7' tall.
      See link to PDN catalog below:
      https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-high-springs

    • newtopalmsMD
      By newtopalmsMD
      I have several Musa Basjoo banana plants (along with several of the cold hardier palm tree varieties) already planted around my pool.  I am looking for some other ornamental banana plans that I could overwinter in the ground with just large leaf pile coverage in zone 7a (north of Wash DC).  I have seen more and less optimistic claims on line about several Musa varieties with M. Sikkimensis and M. Mekong Giant seeming to be the more hardy, and very conflicting claims about ensete glaucum (snow banana).  Has anyone grown bananas other than M. Basjoo in this (or colder) region with overwintering in the ground?  (I'm also looking for other large leaf tropical looking plants that can overwinter in the ground.  I am trying for the first time Colocasia, Pink China.) 
      Thanks
    • The Steve
      By The Steve
      I’ve been growing these up for a few years now, and I was wondering how much longer before I can start to spot the true lisas.  I’m thinking that I’ll need to pot them up to one gallons.  Thoughts?
×
×
  • Create New...