IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

St Petersburg Coconuts

Palmaceae

We just moved from Cape Coral to St Petersburg a couple months ago and was quite surprised how much St Pete has changed since the 1980's, not only the culturally but also the landscape. I used to live in St Pete from 1980 to 1989 and that is when I started collecting palms, and was heavily involved at Kopsick during those years. As most people know the 80's was a terrible decade to grow tropicals in Florida due to the numerous freezes. In the 80"s it was extremely hard to find any coconut palms in St Pete, the 2 at Kopsick survived those freezes and a couple others but you would not see any coconuts or any other tender palms in St Pete during that decade. So fast forward to the present there are tender palms are everywhere in the city.  That being said St Pete does not look anything like Cape Coral/ Ft Myers in regards to coconuts but I am surprised how many coconuts you see here. We went to a restaurant today on the St Pete side of the Gandy bridge and several nice coconuts growing there. I asked how long they were there and they were planted 5 years ago. But I have seen more mature coconuts in St Pete that have been here before 2010.  I transplanted a lot of my Cape Coral palms to our house in St Pete and I am not as worried about growing more tender palms here since I have seen what is growing here now. I realize one day that may change but for now I am going for it! Here are the coconuts I found today near the Gandy bridge.

IMG_20190829_122637873.jpg

IMG_20190829_122640480.jpg

• Like 6

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

@Palmaceae Welcome back to Central Florida!  Thank you for sharing these photos!  Hope all goes well over the next week with this storm approaching.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Palmaceae Welcome back to Central Florida!  Thank you for sharing these photos!  Hope all goes well over the next week with this storm approaching.

Thanks Kinzy! I live 2 miles as the crow flies from Kopsick, so nice being back!

• Like 3

Nice views. I am bewildered as why the local palm sellers in St. Pete, do not offer coconut palms.  One in particular "Ken's trees" which I follow on youtube, has everything under the sun except cocos. 

I mean, he sells adonidias (which are two ticks more cold sensitive than cocos), but no coconuts.  I guess business-wise they are not profitable...

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Welcome, I'm glad to have you here! What part of St. Pete are you in?

I've always really liked St. Pete and lived in downtown for about 2 years while I was in college.  Its strange for me to think of it freezing there and killing all the tropical plants like it did back in the 80s. Ever since I've known it it has been this solidly 10a city with tropicals all over the place. 

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

There's even some healthy coconuts in Tampa now south of Kennedy that have been rockin for a few years. They don't look as good compared to St. Pete ones, but even South Tampa is becomming increasingly tropical with Montgomeries, King Palms, and the occasionally rare coconut planting. I share with Zeith anytime I find one down there. Here's one I saw recently that looks great! Probably a recent planting.

1st Photo (South Tampa Coconut)
2nd Photo (Carollwood (North Tampa) Vestichias
3rd Photo (South Tampa Coconut near the other one)

20190819_153550.jpg

20190720_102815.jpg

20190718_135123.jpg

• Like 3

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

I used to take a bunch of pictures of street plantings of coconuts in St. Pete which have been increasing, Central ave 24th St was the last new ones i saw since I switched jobs. St. Pete's so awesome. I want to either move there or Hawaii! hahaha

20180305_120806.jpg

20180305_120821.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

20170816_180629.jpg

20170816_180637.jpg

20170710_131529.jpg

• Like 5

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

4 hours ago, Chatta said:

There's even some healthy coconuts in Tampa now south of Kennedy that have been rockin for a few years. They don't look as good compared to St. Pete ones, but even South Tampa is becomming increasingly tropical with Montgomeries, King Palms, and the occasionally rare coconut planting. I share with Zeith anytime I find one down there. Here's one I saw recently that looks great! Probably a recent planting.

1st Photo (South Tampa Coconut)
2nd Photo (Carollwood (North Tampa) Vestichias
3rd Photo (South Tampa Coconut near the other one)

20190819_153550.jpg

20190720_102815.jpg

20190718_135123.jpg

I’m familiar all of those. The coconuts in 1 and 3 survived 2010. 2 are actually P elegans but good for Carrollwood regardless. They are pre-2018 but not pre-2010. 

I know of some pretty good coconuts in S Tampa with 20+ ft of trunk. I’ll have to share when I get home later. 

Edit: You know what, let’s get a new thread going on palms in Tampa.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 3

Pastor Randy, glad to see you back on the forum. Just looking at your photos I could believe you never left Cape Coral at all. Hope everything goes well for you and family. Praying with you that Hurricane Dorian curves back out to sea.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

19 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Welcome, I'm glad to have you here! What part of St. Pete are you in?

I've always really liked St. Pete and lived in downtown for about 2 years while I was in college.  Its strange for me to think of it freezing there and killing all the tropical plants like it did back in the 80s. Ever since I've known it it has been this solidly 10a city with tropicals all over the place. 

Thanks! I am in the Woodlawn area south of 30 Ave North and east of 275. St Pete does not look as tropical as SW Florida but it is close!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Pastor Randy, glad to see you back on the forum. Just looking at your photos I could believe you never left Cape Coral at all. Hope everything goes well for you and family. Praying with you that Hurricane Dorian curves back out to sea.

Hello Meg, it was a challenging move but we made it. Very busy with the new church, lots of challenges there also! I planted all the palms I took from the Cape and only lost one out of 140, not too bad! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Thanks! I am in the Woodlawn area south of 30 Ave North and east of 275. St Pete does not look as tropical as SW Florida but it is close!

Good choice! I’m a tad jealous, my wife and I were just looking at homes over there but the right one for us simply wasn’t on the market. :(

• Like 1