Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Will This Straighten Out?

PalmTreeDude

One of my Washingtonia robusta seedlings leaned sideways a bit when it was in the community pot and started to grow that way. I potted it up with the base of the small trunk pointing up. Will this seedling straighten out? 

15671127339586046416208736810287.jpg

1567112797879757662990410828987.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

realarch

Don't worry, it will straighten out. 

Tim

• Like 1

aztropic

Not to worry.It will straighten out.I have seedlings that pop sideways and they always figure out which way is up without touching them.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15671110765127980181060279632578.jpg

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude
On 8/29/2019 at 5:39 PM, realarch said:

Don't worry, it will straighten out. 

Tim

On 8/29/2019 at 5:40 PM, aztropic said:

Not to worry.It will straighten out.I have seedlings that pop sideways and they always figure out which way is up without touching them.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15671110765127980181060279632578.jpg

Thank you for letting me know! 

GottmitAlex

Generally, if the palm does not have a formed trunk, but has a lean,  it will usually correct itself.

Plants do the same thing. Heliotropism.

There are videos about this. 

They afix a seedling plant horizontally which is spinning very slowly like a wheel of fortune and turns out the stem of the plant will always try to position itself vertically towards the light source (even though its base is horizontal).

Of course, some palms, such as certain varieties of cocos nucifera (as an example)  will lean, bend, twist after they have formed a trunk, but not before.

Edited by GottmitAlex

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• The7thLegend
      By The7thLegend
      I'm trying to figure out what I have here, 2 young palms but maybe enough features now to narrow it down.  Any ideas?

Seedling #1 - Very lush green, aggressive root system, fast grower, looking like a Phoenix (maybe Canary or long shot rupicola) or I could be way off.

Seedling #2 - Green with blue hue, moderate grower that seems to be getting a little faster, originally thought blue minor but it's been growing an above grown trunk.

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all! Just wanted to get opinios on how fast it takes a cycad in the seedling stage to develop a caudex? 
      I know there are many types of cycads that grow and different rates. 
      My personal favorite cyads right now are encephalartos. 
      What is the typical rate from seedling to developing a small caudex for encephalartos? 
      Is it better to pay for something that has a caudex developed or stick with seedlings and watch them grow?
      Also what is the typical amount of time for germination?
    • IVO
      By IVO
      Hello! I have 3 washingtonia robustas growing from seeds in 1.5 gallon pots. This spring I'm going to repot them into bigger ones. So my question is. How important to them is root damage, because some of roots are sticking out from drain holes and there is no way rather that clip them off? 
      My 6 moths old palms and me on the picture.

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      I have two Washingtonia Palms in the back yard, I'm wondering what type I have. I have a 5 gal, which I'm pretty sure its a Robusta but on some days I think its a Filbusta. I also have a little seedling that I posted a while back, but its put out some new leafs. Filifera, Robusta, or Filbusta? 
      First 5 pics are the 5 gal
      Last 3 is the seedling

• McClell.Col829
      By McClell.Col829
      Hello my Fellow Palm Talkers, I purchased a Washy (labeled as a Filifera, imo its a Filibusta) about a month ago from HD, I normally don't get my palms from big name corporations, however this palm was priced very low for its size and for the area I live in, St. George, Utah. It's been in the ground for a month, I've been good about watering it,  and I use fish emulsion fertilizer during planting, in my experience it usually helps reduce transplant shock. Anyways, I'm concerned about a couple of things, however the speckling on the petioles is my main concern. I'm wondering what it may be, and what I can do to treat it or remedy it. Any input, recommendations, thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. I hope everybody is doing as well as they can during these stressful and challenging times! I hope you all stay safe and healthy! God Bless,

Thanks

Colby