Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Will This Straighten Out?

PalmTreeDude

One of my Washingtonia robusta seedlings leaned sideways a bit when it was in the community pot and started to grow that way. I potted it up with the base of the small trunk pointing up. Will this seedling straighten out? 

15671127339586046416208736810287.jpg

1567112797879757662990410828987.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

realarch

Don't worry, it will straighten out. 

Tim

• Like 1

aztropic

Not to worry.It will straighten out.I have seedlings that pop sideways and they always figure out which way is up without touching them.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15671110765127980181060279632578.jpg

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude
On 8/29/2019 at 5:39 PM, realarch said:

Don't worry, it will straighten out. 

Tim

On 8/29/2019 at 5:40 PM, aztropic said:

Not to worry.It will straighten out.I have seedlings that pop sideways and they always figure out which way is up without touching them.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15671110765127980181060279632578.jpg

Thank you for letting me know! 

GottmitAlex

Generally, if the palm does not have a formed trunk, but has a lean,  it will usually correct itself.

Plants do the same thing. Heliotropism.

There are videos about this. 

They afix a seedling plant horizontally which is spinning very slowly like a wheel of fortune and turns out the stem of the plant will always try to position itself vertically towards the light source (even though its base is horizontal).

Of course, some palms, such as certain varieties of cocos nucifera (as an example)  will lean, bend, twist after they have formed a trunk, but not before.

Edited by GottmitAlex

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      This is a really nice looking league on my Ravenea rivularis. This palm won't survive the winter here, but I stuck it in the ground (in shade) because it was in one of those pots that have like twenty in them from Lowes and they were all dying. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      My Needle Palm went from smaller fronds to big fronds over the summer, look at the size of them, and they'll get much bigger! I had to hold the camera way up to get the whole frond in the picture! 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I collected some Sabal palmetto seeds from Virginia Beach off of an older palmetto there in July, I just now removed the dry fruits from some of the seeds, and they look kind of light. Could this just be because they were still in the fruit? They all sank in water. I am just used to the seeds being a bit darker. 

• SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      I literally just screenshot this off of my buddy's Instagram story just now (please ignore the silly shark lol). I couldn't help but notice what looked like Washingtonias, but he is in SC near Myrtle Beach. Do Washies actually manage to get this big in Myrtle? I do see the dead trunk on the left, however...

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I was looking at Johnathan Dickinson State Park on Google Streetview because I wanted to know what a silver saw palmettos habitat was like (I have a bunch of seedlings). Then I noticed that there were green saw palmetto literally right next to silver saw palmetto. Why are there silver saw palmetto in the first place, was it a mutation? I know a lot of silver colored palms tend to come from drier areas (this looks like one), but why does this happen? Also, would the silver and green ones hybridize naturally, since they are the same species?