Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Will This Straighten Out?

PalmTreeDude

One of my Washingtonia robusta seedlings leaned sideways a bit when it was in the community pot and started to grow that way. I potted it up with the base of the small trunk pointing up. Will this seedling straighten out? 

15671127339586046416208736810287.jpg

1567112797879757662990410828987.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

realarch

Don't worry, it will straighten out. 

Tim

• Like 1

aztropic

Not to worry.It will straighten out.I have seedlings that pop sideways and they always figure out which way is up without touching them.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15671110765127980181060279632578.jpg

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude
On 8/29/2019 at 5:39 PM, realarch said:

Don't worry, it will straighten out. 

Tim

On 8/29/2019 at 5:40 PM, aztropic said:

Not to worry.It will straighten out.I have seedlings that pop sideways and they always figure out which way is up without touching them.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15671110765127980181060279632578.jpg

Thank you for letting me know! 

GottmitAlex

Generally, if the palm does not have a formed trunk, but has a lean,  it will usually correct itself.

Plants do the same thing. Heliotropism.

There are videos about this. 

They afix a seedling plant horizontally which is spinning very slowly like a wheel of fortune and turns out the stem of the plant will always try to position itself vertically towards the light source (even though its base is horizontal).

Of course, some palms, such as certain varieties of cocos nucifera (as an example)  will lean, bend, twist after they have formed a trunk, but not before.

Edited by GottmitAlex

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      A few from Weymouth on the south coast of England...

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      So I am currently on the Isle of Wight, just off the south coast of England. You can cross over from Portsmouth on the ferry, which takes about 30 minutes. The island is a palm paradise in general, but the southeastern portion is almost like a mini Califronia. I will let the photos do the talking. All these CIDP and Washingtonia were planted tiny about 10-15 years ago now.

I'll start with the Trachycarpus Fortunei...

Phoenix Canariensis...

Brahea Edulus...

Brahea Armata...

Going in heavy with the Washingtonia now. Excuse the sun in my eyes...

There were several Jubaea Chilensis planted out...

Butia Odorata...

Chamaerops Humilis...

Musa Basjoo...

Cycas Revoluta...

About a mile down the road we sat down to have lunch, as dolphin pods jumped out of the water while we ate...

Off the coast of Niton, right next to the spot we ate at, I spotted a Washingtonia in a back yard. Unfortunately the garden was not really accessible to get photos, so I unlawfully hopped the fence to get some shots. Not really being one to follow rules, I am certainly glad I went over, since it turns out there were two Washies in that back yard...

Massive palm updates from the Isle of Wight coming. I have barely scratched the surface here...

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      Good afternoon! 
      Today I saw a Variegated Washingtonia in Tempe Arizona, in front of someone’s business. First one I’ve seen in person randomly around. Enjoy.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For sale are seedlings of some of my mother palms
      Cost for each seedling = $0.25 each for all 5 species. Mix & match.              Minimum Purchase = $10.00
      Shipping = $10.00 for up to 400 plants via Priority Mail.       No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI.

Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seedlings you want and I will respond with a quote. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Species available with Photos
      1. Archonotophoenix maxima:    http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_maxima

2. Archonotophoenix tuckeri:  http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_tuckeri

3. Dypsis pembana:     http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_pembana

4. Ptychosperma elegans (limited #):    http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Ptychosperma_elegans

5. Ptychosperma robusta (limited #):   I could find no info on this palm

• subsonicdrone
      By subsonicdrone
      just thought i would share the difference between the archontophoenix which i slammed directly into the sun in the spring vs the one which ended up in a shady spot