IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PALM SOCIETY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - NEXT MEETING IN ENCINITAS, CA - THREE GARDENS, SEPTEMBER 21, 2019

Phil

PSSC SEPTEMBER MEETING
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2019
THREE GARDENS CLOSE BY IN ENCINITAS, CA
TWO GARDENS ACROSS THE STREET FROM EACH OTHER
POTLUCK LUNCH AND PLANT AUCTION - BRING A DISH

Our next meeting of the PSSC will be Saturday, 21 September, 2019.  All three gardens are in Encinitas, a coastal community about 25 minutes north of San Diego off Freeway 5.  All three are fantastic gardens with lots to see.  The first two gardens are across the street from each other. 

The first garden is at the Home of Dorian Ouer.  Many of you may know Dean Ouer, Dorian’s father and the present moderator of Palm Talk.  Dean started his garden almost three decades ago.  His son, Dorian, who grew up at this home and garden, promptly increased his interest and passion for the garden.  Since his acquiring the garden in 2005, Dorian has made many improvements and added a lot of new and different plants.  Some his favorite palms include towering Ceroxylons with white trunk way overhead, a majestic Dypsis species Black Stem, old Ravenea glauca and the super rare “Ravenea monticola”.  You’ll also see many mature Dypsis species, mature Rhopalostylis, Schizolobium and Enterolobium trees side by side, cycads and a vast assortment of tropical plants.  This is a “don’t miss” garden!  He will have a bathroom available and the Board of Directors meeting will meet early at Dorian’s home. 

The second garden is directly across the street from the Ouer Garden at the home and garden of Scott and Trina Leonard.  This is a good sized garden and you’ll even see an area dedicated to his “tropical fruit orchard”.  But, Scott’s main interest is with his palms.  Some of his favorites in the garden include beautiful blue Bismarckia nobilis, an assortment of unusual Dypsis, Chambeyronia, Rhopalostylis, Pritchardia species and a vast assortment of other nice palms and trees.  I can vouch that you’ll love the variety and beauty of this garden.  Others have mentioned the unbelievable speed of growth that Scott has achieved with everything he’s planted.  You may want to ask him how he does it.  There are definitely a ton of botanic gems to see.

The third garden is just across Freeway 5, just about a half of mile going east, at the home and garden of Matt and Grace Beltran.  This is a somewhat newer garden with a vast array of planting and hardscape improvements.   Of note you can only park on the south side of Spart street as the other side is closed for parking.  Matt’s garden has a definite tropical theme.  You can see his enthusiasm in planting desirable palm species.  His favorites include Dypsis leptocheilos, assorted Pritchardia including a nice hildebrantii as well as P. remota, affinis and martii.  He also loves his Chambeyronia, Cyphophoenix, Kentiopsis, Ravenea glauca, Dypsis species and lots of assorted tropical plants.  Bathroom is available.  This is the garden where we’ll have our potluck and auction. 

ITINERARY:
  9:15 AM   Board of Directors Meeting
10:30 AM  Begin Tours of both the Ouer and Leonard Gardens (across the street from each other)
12:15 PM  Depart for the Beltran Garden
12:30 PM  Arrive and Begin Tour at to the Beltran Garden - Park on the south side only of the street
  1:00 PM  Potluck lunch (please bring a dish) – Chicken, water, soda and utensils provided by PSSC - Donations welcome.
  1:30 PM  Continue touring the garden
  2:15 PM  Begin Formal Meeting, Announcements
  2:30 PM  Plant Auction and Raffle
  3:30 PM   Adjourn Meeting – Clean Up Help Requested

ADDRESSES:
OUER GARDEN: 
445 NAIAD ST. ENCINITAS, CA, 92024
LEONARD GARDEN:  460 NAIAD ST., ENCINITAS, CA 92024
BELTRAN GARDEN:  72 SPARTA DR., ENCINITAS, CA 92024

DIRECTIONS:

OUER AND LEONARD GARDENS:  Find your way on Freeway 5 to the city of Encinitas (ten minutes south of Oceanside and 25 minutes north of San Diego).  Exit the Freeway at Leucadia Blvd. going west (toward the ocean).  Continue for about an eighth of a mile to Hymettus Ave and turn right.  Go several blocks and turn right on Naiad St.   Gardens across the street from each other.

BELTRAN GARDEN:  Re-track your route to Leucadia Blvd. turning left (east) and cross the freeway.  Immediately after crossing Freeway 5, make a sharp left onto the frontage road - Piraeus St.  Be careful to stay to the right after turning and not enter onto the freeway on ramp.  Continue north on Piraeus for about a quarter mile and turn right onto Sparta Dr.  When approaching the Beltran Garden, park on south (right hand) side of Sparta Drive. 

REMEMBER:

Thank our hosts at these wonderful gardens
Wear appropriate shoes – No heels!
Bring hot or cold dish for the Potluck
Bring plant donations for Auction and Raffle

For Questions:  Contact Phil Bergman, Area Chairman, 619 291 4605

• Like 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

IMPORTANT CORRECTION:

ADDRESS FOR BELTRAN GARDEN IS 782 SPARTA, NOT 72!

Phil

• Like 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

• 2 weeks later...

So, who's coming?

The Ouer garden alone is worth the trip.

Come visit and see if I'm wrong. @Dypsisdean used to have that one! Need I say more?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm coming.  Saw Dean's Hawaii garden a couple of months ago.  So, only makes sense to see his former SoCal garden.  

• Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Booh yah!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I plan on being there. Looking forward to seeing some old friends (people and palms).

• Like 3

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

It should be a great meeting - lots of friends, beautiful gardens and a fun plant auction.

Phil

• Like 1

Bring your hardy palm seeds to the PSSC meeting.

I can give them to others who want them, you'll know they're making someone happy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Padraic said:

Can anyone come?

HELL EXPLETIVE YES!

I sent you a PM, we'll be DEE-LIGHTED TO SEE YOU!

• Like 1

Auction mobile all crammed full 

BEE65E7F-6075-4577-A3B4-5E74B238EC62.thumb.jpeg.e9660b121d17c212343aa9a46bd67262.jpeg

• Like 2

come and get it!

Enjoy Peeps! Sadly, My Dad passed a little while back and I am attending to his matters or I would be there. Great yards I bet!

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Im Teaching till 11 but I will be at the Beltran Garden in the Afternoon!  Cant wait! Fried CHicken and Watching Dave sweat thru another Auction! 

Cheers and see you all there.

brian 

Took me 10 years, but I managed to see both of Dean’s garden gardens this summer.  Neither of them disappointed.  Dorian has “picked up the torch” and added his own touch.  

Standing in the middle of the garden. With all that canopy from the palms and Schizolobium parahyba made me feel like I was in a jungle and not Encinitas.  

327CA424-BC98-4D4A-8437-EC3AA4700E03.jpeg

EC9FC37E-A2E4-43C2-9167-17FB6761361D.jpeg

• Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I’m bummed that I missed this. I was busy prepping my Fallbrook house to put on the market this coming week and just couldn’t get away. 

31 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

I’m bummed that I missed this. I was busy prepping my Fallbrook house to put on the market this coming week and just couldn’t get away. 

Was hoping to run into you.  There was a strong Palmtalk presence today.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24