IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society - Fall Meeting - Sat. 10/19/2019 + Sun. 10/20/2019

kinzyjr

Please save the dates of October 19th and 20th for the Fall Meeting and plan on it taking place in the Naples/Ft. Myers area.  Last I heard, Naples Botanical garden was to be one of the stops.  If you are  interested in serving on the board or having your garden included at an upcoming event, please feel free to respond to the email you received if you are a current or former member.

Further details and updates will be provided as they are finalized on this thread.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 4 weeks later...

More details will be provided as they are confirmed, but the tentative schedule is provided below.  

An RSVP by Tuesday, October 1, 2019 to the email sent this morning is required for the tour on Saturday as they desire advanced payment.

Saturday, October 19th, 2019

• Meet at 9:45AM outside of Naples Botanical Gardens: 4820 Bayshore Dr, Naples, FL 34112
  • Private tour starts at 10:00am
  • Lunch on your own
  • (Still in planning) - Potential evening event in Ft. Myers

Sunday, October 20th, 2019

• Morning: Begin in the new palm gardens at Edison House.
  • Afternoon: Tour a private palm garden in Cape Coral.

If you are not yet a member, but would like to become one, you can do so here: http://www.cfpacs.com/membership-info/

If you are a member and did not receive an email to RSVP, please PM me.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 2 weeks later...

Just a gentle reminder to RSVP by October 1st for those going to Naples Botanical.

@RedRabbit Regarding @palmsOrl, he's a good guy to meet as he is very knowledgeable in palms and tropicals as well as temperate plants.  Definitely way past where I'll ever be in terms of total botanical knowledge.  Have met him twice in person and paid a visit to his neck of the woods to see his plants, both in pots and in the ground. 

Wish you were able to attend but understand the distance and other things going on.  Don't know if you are going to be around, but both of us might be in Tampa for a brief period for the USF Sale and also head to the Searle sale next weekend.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

30 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Just a gentle reminder to RSVP by October 1st for those going to Naples Botanical.

@RedRabbit Regarding @palmsOrl, he's a good guy to meet as he is very knowledgeable in palms and tropicals as well as temperate plants.  Definitely way past where I'll ever be in terms of total botanical knowledge.  Have met him twice in person and paid a visit to his neck of the woods to see his plants, both in pots and in the ground. 

Wish you were able to attend but understand the distance and other things going on.  Don't know if you are going to be around, but both of us might be in Tampa for a brief period for the USF Sale and also head to the Searle sale next weekend.

I know I'd like to meet the guy who's probably given me more rep on here than anyone else. lol

In all seriousness though, it would be good to meet up again. Was definitely fun meeting you and @Chatta at USF. Maybe the St. Pete plant sale in the spring would be good and a trip to Kopsick afterwards. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I'll mark you down for GreenThumb then ;)

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

I'd like to come to this, and hope to meet up with @RedRabbit again :)

• Like 2

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

44 minutes ago, Chatta said:

I'd like to come to this, and hope to meet up with @RedRabbit again :)

:greenthumb:

My new house is just a few miles down the road from you now, around Linebaugh & Countryway. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

On 9/20/2019 at 9:44 AM, kinzyjr said:

More details will be provided as they are confirmed, but the tentative schedule is provided below.  

An RSVP by Tuesday, October 1, 2019 to the email sent this morning is required for the tour on Saturday as they desire advanced payment.

• Meet at 9:45AM outside of Naples Botanical Gardens: 4820 Bayshore Dr, Naples, FL 34112
  • Private tour starts at 10:00am
  • Lunch on your own
  • (Still in planning) - Potential evening event in Ft. Myers

Sunday, October 20th, 2019

• Morning: Begin in the new palm gardens at Edison House.
  • Afternoon: Tour a private palm garden in Cape Coral.

If you are not yet a member, but would like to become one, you can do so here: http://www.cfpacs.com/membership-info/

If you are a member and did not receive an email to RSVP, please PM me.

One correction per CFPACS FB: Please ensure that you also RSVP for Sunday if you plan on attending those tours.

201909301845_CFPACS_fall_mtg.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

The planning for the event looks amazing I hope you get a great turnout.

I know you have the itinerary all set, but if anyone has extra time in the Naples area, you should check out the Naples Zoo. They have a great palm & plant collection that increases all the time. They also have a wonderful botanical history that is worth exploring, as it was the site of the second Nehrling estate. Darryl Windham, the Zoo's horticulture manager, was at the 'Ganza this past weekend and we talked about any possible impromptu visits during the CFP&CS meeting. He mentioned any visit during Zoo hours would be great and a tour could be possible, depending on the time. He can be contacted through the Zoo, or if you need more info send me a PM.

Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens

1590 Goodlette Rd. Naples, FL 34102

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

CFPACS Fall Meeting - Updated Itinerary

Sunday, October 20th 2019

• 8:45 PM: Edison House Palm Gardens Private Tour.  Meet near the cafe.  They are hoping for a few unusual palms as donations.  If you are able to bring something, please respond to the email sent earlier this morning to make your plans known. 
  • Cape Coral Private Garden: Address and time will be given at Edison.

Lakeland, FL

On 9/20/2019 at 9:42 PM, RedRabbit said:

I almost want to go just to meet @palmsOrl. lol

This one is too far for me unfortunately. Have fun guys!

Would love to meet you RedRabbit!

• Like 2

Hmm I guess my psychic powers have been improving...

I could think of other possible Palm-rich stops in the Naples area I saw on my whirlwind tour earlier in the year, but I cannot remember how to get to them. It is still a blur of leaves, crownshafts and leaf bases. I would recommend both Drew Rathburn's dental office (mentioned above as the "rare palm garden at a commercial building") and the veteran collection of John Henning's yard. Even just the part viewable from the street is worth a visit, if you can find it. And of course, it would be awesome to visit the legendary old Carpoxylon 'Sasquatch' growing along the shops of 5th Avenue. Her unique habitat can only be found by those who have been there before, so directions are always tricky, not to mention the lack of parking in the area (might be impossible on Saturday).

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

When we have meetings and tours spread over two days, I can usually only make one of them.  I should be able to make both days this time.

@Palmarum My plan is to stay in the area so I'll check out a few of the sites you mentioned.  Thank you for suggesting them!

@Chatta @palmsOrl Hope to see you all there!

@RedRabbit We'll miss you man... but spring isn't too far away! :) 

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Would like to make this but cannot this time. Hope you all have a great time!

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

@Palmaceae Will miss you but glad to have you back in Central FL.

For those planning on attending, I'd recommend bringing an umbrella or two.  

201910190000_NaplesWeather.png

201910200000_FtMyersWeather.png

Lakeland, FL

For those that want a glimpse into the fun times had at the Fall Meeting, I broke the pictures up into three section in the Travel Logs forum.  They can be accessed via these links for easy reference:

CFPACS - 10/19/2019 - Part I - Naples Botanical Gardens - Naples, FL

CFPACS - 10/20/2019 - Part II - Edison and Ford Winter Estates - Fort Myers, FL

CFPACS - 10/20/2019 - Part III - Private Garden in SW FL

Lakeland, FL

Lakeland, FL