Jump to content
Rickybobby

Up north late summer temps

Recommended Posts

Rickybobby

Well we had a disappointing spring cool and wet. Summer was here for about 1.5 months and. Now late August all we have is low to kid 70s temps. Which is not normal.  Very unusual. Global warming my but only thing we have that’s warmer is our winter up and downs. So I’m looking into bringing my container ranch in early this fall because my seedlings are slower in these temps. I’m in southern Ontario anyone else up this way pjssed with our cool late summer?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper

Bloody 28c here today Rob and it's still winter. Everything should return back to winter from tomorrow,  we have some cooler temperatures and rain coming in. (I haven't forgotten your seeds mate, didn't get to the post office on the weekend but I will get there this one coming)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

Well not so good in the Pacific Northwest either.  This spring and summer was much cooler than the last two and a little more rain.  I think we only had 5 days over 90F compared to almost 40 last year.  Last Friday was 85F and sunny which is pretty much what we've had for a solid couple months.  Saturday morning the switch was flipped and we've been around 65F cloudy and rainy.  It looks like winter has come early this year.  Normally we'd be in the mid to high 70's with lots of sun, and it isn't until the end of October or November that we transition to the rainy season.   I've noticed that the heat loving plants are anywhere from 2-4 weeks behind this year.  The crepe myrtles just started flowering around here and my Sabal minor bloom stalks have started opening their flowers this week! 

Edited by Chester B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon

Still scorching hot in Houston...no nights below 70F in the forecast yet. Days in the mid to high 90s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff985
35 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Still scorching hot in Houston...no nights below 70F in the forecast yet. Days in the mid to high 90s

On the east side of town close to the bay we’ve only had a couple nights below 80. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon
56 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

On the east side of town close to the bay we’ve only had a couple nights below 80. 

Galveston hasn't dropped below 78F since late July, 70F since mid June :o

Edited by Xenon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude

Still hot here in the Richmond, Virginia area. Tomorrow has a high of 97°F. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff985

Any predictions for this winter? NOAA’s prediction looks promising, but it usually changes a few times between October and January. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
1 hour ago, Jeff985 said:

Any predictions for this winter? NOAA’s prediction looks promising, but it usually changes a few times between October and January. 

My best advise for the comming winter,

Keep an eye on updates here: CPC NMME 1 month models.. Latest update for the 8 or so models were updated last week, and extends thru April. Updated on or around the 8th of each month. There is also the 3 month average plots to eyeball as well.. Like the 1 month maps more myself. 

Also, follow this guy:  Judah Cohen. Posts almost daily on twitter, and once weekly over on another site ( AER ) where he discusses weekly thoughts surrounding what the Polar Vortex, etc factors taht influence winter weather may or may not do.

One, perhaps two things to watch closely in the months ahead:  large area of wayy above SSTs off the West Coast ( possible return of the Ridiculously  Resilliant Ridge  = warm / dry winter CA and AZ )  2, ENSO values... Leaning neutral atm,  but lots of noise going forward. Might try to rebound to + 0.01-0.05 over the comming months/ toward spring ( Stormsurf Pacific Forecast, long range discussion ) 

More later..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rickybobby

We’ve had some hot weather once again but it is middle of September. Palm room is setup. Temps and humidity is good. Just for the heck of it I brought all my seedlings inside and the big palms will be out by the pool until end of September when I close the pool. Wasn’t a great season but what can you do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Love them palms
On 9/11/2019 at 8:49 AM, Chester B said:

Well not so good in the Pacific Northwest either.  This spring and summer was much cooler than the last two and a little more rain.  I think we only had 5 days over 90F compared to almost 40 last year.  Last Friday was 85F and sunny which is pretty much what we've had for a solid couple months.  Saturday morning the switch was flipped and we've been around 65F cloudy and rainy.  It looks like winter has come early this year.  Normally we'd be in the mid to high 70's with lots of sun, and it isn't until the end of October or November that we transition to the rainy season.   I've noticed that the heat loving plants are anywhere from 2-4 weeks behind this year.  The crepe myrtles just started flowering around here and my Sabal minor bloom stalks have started opening their flowers this week! 

Guess it was a bad year for my decision to plant palms this spring and summer,even though all off them snapped out of shock and got a little growth, I'm sure they would of took off better if it was sunny and warmer this summer, here's to hoping for a warmer than normal fall and winter with little or no snow and a early spring with a hot 2020 summer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

Really the sooner you get them in the ground in the year the better.  I think March/April is ideal.  Hopefully nothing too cold this winter, I planted two palms kinda late so plan on covering them if we get any really cold nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Love them palms
6 hours ago, Chester B said:

Really the sooner you get them in the ground in the year the better.  I think March/April is ideal.  Hopefully nothing too cold this winter, I planted two palms kinda late so plan on covering them if we get any really cold nights.

Me too ,put in a sabal palmetto in July that is blocked from the north east winds and 4 needle palms and a Bulgarian windmill  in August. Not to worried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mdsonofthesouth

Yeah we are still in the 90s here in Maryland, but should be dropping to 80s and scratching the 90s here and there. Hoping to stay warmish to hopefully November but time will tell...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms

A late season warm spell here with highs of 81F today. We should hit 85F tomorrow as well. Although the longer nights are getting quite cool now, especially when it is clear conditions, like last night. It fell down to 47F last night, before rising into the 80s. Cold enough at night that the cucumbers and melons are dying back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

A late season warm spell here with highs of 81F today. We should hit 85F tomorrow as well. Although the longer nights are getting quite cool now, especially when it is clear conditions, like last night. It fell down to 47F last night, before rising into the 80s. Cold enough at night that the cucumbers and melons are dying back.

While not as cool here during the day ( yet, sub 55f lows is more mid/ late October at the earliest here ) longer nights are starting to finally put an end to 80-82+F ( 26.6-27.7c ) overnight lows.  Mainly in the mid/ upper 70s since last week. 

While there are still at least another 10-15 days of 100-105F highs forecast thru the rest of the month, looks like 29 days will be it for 110-110F+ highs for the year.. still too close to the record of 33 days set back in 2011 though. 

While highly unlikely to move the needle in the right direction much, descent chance for rain later today/ tonight, maybe again early next week. Overall storm set up might be better than the last event which all but skipped over most of the valley before re-forming as the line of storms moved west toward Yuma and the s.e. California deserts. Even if it rains later, we would have to receive at least 2.5 inches over a wide area to get just to average for the year rainfall-wise.  Monsoon season itself is all but a bust this year, likely falling somewhere between 2-5th driest when all is said and done ( closer to 4th or 5th place only if we see good rain totals today / any more before the 30th )

Regardless, at least temps are headed in the right direction..  Hearing talk that everyone's best friend, a' la Polar Vortex is starting to awaken up north.. Getting the area out back I normally cover with winter grass ready, and taking down some of the sumer shade cloth.   'Tis the season.. Hopefully the last one here in the oven. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

Yup. We're in an intense heat wave.

39C with 14% RH.  Super dry. It's been like this for a week now.   I have been watering the south-facing potted palms three times a day and the in-ground palms between two or three times as well.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cm05

70’s/80’s here in New York, it’d be warmer if the heat didn’t stop around the Philadelphia area, that’s been the theme since August. It hasn’t really been cool at all thankfully, just not as hot it could be.

All of my palms are still growing at the same rate as mid-summer, at least for now. There’s typically a big drop off in growth during October, Coconut first and Trachycarpus last. Trachycarpus will actually grow (slowly) in the dead of winter here during mild spells, so while they may not be as cold tolerant as Needles and Minors, they're more cool tolerant than either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mdsonofthesouth
On 9/15/2019 at 7:29 PM, cm05 said:

70’s/80’s here in New York, it’d be warmer if the heat didn’t stop around the Philadelphia area, that’s been the theme since August. It hasn’t really been cool at all thankfully, just not as hot it could be.

All of my palms are still growing at the same rate as mid-summer, at least for now. There’s typically a big drop off in growth during October, Coconut first and Trachycarpus last. Trachycarpus will actually grow (slowly) in the dead of winter here during mild spells, so while they may not be as cold tolerant as Needles and Minors, they're more cool tolerant than either.

 

I noticed that too about trachycarpus in my garden. Mine would grow til we got a COLD event sometime in January. Albeit slow as molasses in winter time! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rickybobby

Lucky again all week here has been 28c. Just beautiful weather for fall. My big palms by the pool are still growing well even with the cooler nights and not as intense sun 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×