IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tropical Cyclone Dorian

palmsOrl

Ironically, the power went out here at about 2pm.  Not storm related but just pure coincidence.  Having T-storms here, but nothing any worse than our daily dose of liquid sunshine.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Bad news is that Dorian has been stationary over Grand Bahama island all day which is horrific. 

Good news is that it became stationary farther east than thought which means when it gets it kick NNW it should remain off shore of Florida and hopefully Georgia and the Carolinas. Still not pleasant weather for sure but at least the eye wall should remain off shore, hopefully.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Looks like it's finally making a move North. There probably isn't much left of any buildings or infrastructure on the Bahama island after the storm sat there for so long between the wind pounding and the flooding. They're still in cat 3 conditions after a couple days of enduring even worse conditions. There's probably large areas where nothing's salvageable.

Showers and breezy here today.

It looks like I'm under a Tropical Storm Watch now.  Looks like most of coastal Virginia is included.  My main concern is the potential flooding.  I remember the initial expectation during Matthew was 2-4 inches of rain, and we received between 12-15 inches of rain.  We ended up with a few feet of water in the yard (about 4 ft in the highest part of the yard if I remember correctly).  Not as bad as Floyd though.  I guess we'll see what happens.

212619_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

It is very sad the destruction visited upon the Bahamas and particularly the Abacos (Hope Town, Green Turtle, Marsh Harbour etc...) by this beyond slow moving storm. Reported 185 MPH winds for over two (2) days. Few structures can deal with that kind of ponderously slow moving force. Coupled with the exceedingly slow construction process in the Bahamas, it has been and will continue to be a very bad experience for these people.

Florida has been incredibly lucky. TS winds is the most experienced in the PB area without loss of power. Dorian is finally starting to move N after the noxious painful waiting. Hope this misses everyone else never to be seen again...

What you look for is what is looking

On 9/1/2019 at 8:30 PM, kinzyjr said:

@NC_Palms Stay safe up there! 

Thank you so much! I’m back in North Carolina and even here we’re all in hurricane preparation mode. But at least I’m inland enough here. 

• Like 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Keep turning right Dorian! It is amazing how it is following the coastline as it is, like the US is shaped for it, or that is how the SE US got its shape?

Looks like it is strengthening again, praying it stays further out to sea as there can be hurricane force winds in the Carolinas along the coast and flooding, stay safe!