IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adios Homo Sapiens

Ed in Houston

Anthropologists tell the story that as little as 50,000 years ago there were 5 or more species of humans including Sapiens, Neanderthals, Erectus, Denisovans and others. Sapiens who originated in Africa and migrated to the rest of the old world eliminated the other versions of humanity by either out screwing or out gunning the rest of humanity until there were only Sapiens left by 30,000 years ago.

Now it is the Sapiens that will be eliminated at the hands of themselves.

image.thumb.png.a44efd907cd0e8c5ea2c0a8484d899f1.png

Excerpts:

Homo sapiens could vanish from Earth entirely.

The understanders of the future will not be humans.

Tomorrow’s cyborgs will easily become a million times smarter than we are.

It’s entirely possible they would have no form at all,” existing mostly as virtual forms inside computers.

The cyborgs will be so far beyond us in intellect that they may dismiss us as part of the planet's background landscape.

Once we get used to being treated like houseplants........

Just as we do not mourn the passing of our ancestor species, neither, I imagine, will the cyborgs be grief-stricken by the passing of humans.”

We are now preparing to hand the gift of knowing on to new forms of intelligent beings.

Ed in Houston

• Like 3

How about the ridiculous chatter about colonizing Mars??  If we screw up Earth we deserve to die out !

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

And for more 'cheery' newsAmazon fires: Angola and DR Congo 'have more blazes': https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-49471644

TheTweetOfGod.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

How about the ridiculous chatter about colonizing Mars??  If we screw up Earth we deserve to die out !

Most higher life forms understand the wisdom of not soiling one's own nest.  Elon Musk's approach to humans lack of wisdom is to leave the nest by becoming an interplanetary species.

It appears that the engineering challenges of colonizing Mars can be mastered soon. Medical problems of a months long space trip due to radiation exposure have not been resolved.  Musk is at risk of creating the world's first interplanetary hospice facility.

It should also be noted that most died within the first year of the establishment of the Jamestown colony in the new world.

Ed in Houston

• Like 2

I was reading a few years back that the hominid species Homo floresiensis, which inhabited the island of Flores in Indonesia (the Ebu gogo), may have existed as recently as the first half of the 19th century AD.  This is controversial though and is based on accounts by the Nage people stating that the Ebu gogo (speculated to be Homo floresiensis) still existed on Flores when the Portuguese arrived in the 17th century, but that they were killed off by the 20th century.

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmm.

What are "species" anyway? (We argue about that all the time in the palm context.)

Humanity has nearly died out at least once, according to genetic evidence. I recall reading that there was a time, thousands of years ago, when food ran very short, and people fell in numbers to about 50,000 worldwide. Things have clearly gotten better since.

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:43 AM, Ed in Houston said:

Most higher life forms understand the wisdom of not soiling one's own nest.  Elon Musk's approach to humans lack of wisdom is to leave the nest by becoming an interplanetary species.

It appears that the engineering challenges of colonizing Mars can be mastered soon. Medical problems of a months long space trip due to radiation exposure have not been resolved.  Musk is at risk of creating the world's first interplanetary hospice facility.

It should also be noted that most died within the first year of the establishment of the Jamestown colony in the new world.

Ed in Houston

Based on what I've heard about interplanetary space travel, we have an enormously long way to go. Star Trek this ain't.

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:38 AM, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

What are "species" anyway? (We argue about that all the time in the palm context.)

Humanity has nearly died out at least once, according to genetic evidence. I recall reading that there was a time, thousands of years ago, when food ran very short, and people fell in numbers to about 50,000 worldwide. Things have clearly gotten better since.

That genetic bottleneck in the human population might have been due to the supervolcanic eruption of Mount Toba 75,000 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

That genetic bottleneck in the human population might have been due to the supervolcanic eruption of Mount Toba 75,000 years ago.

Yep, just found it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

Imagine the horrors of something like that happening now. Powerless to do anything about it.

"HOW WAS YOUR DAY, DEAR?"

"Dear???"

On the other hand, there's some evidence that it wasn't the cause of the bottleneck in population. If not, then what?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Once the cell phone was invented mankind was doomed.

Yes it is known in future history books as the Zombie Apocalypse.

image.png.224a20cc3d37bffb475694d092ac9e70.png

Ed in Houston

• Like 2

There was another bottleneck of sorts 5000 - 7000 years ago when almost all the men disappeared.

" Modern men's genes suggest that something peculiar happened 5,000 to 7,000 years ago: Most of the male population across Asia, Europe and Africa seems to have died off, leaving behind just one man for every 17 women. "

"The assumption that [the cause of the bottleneck] was warfare is a reasonable one," especially given the time period, he added."

Why Do Genes Suggest Most Men Died Off 7,000 Years Ago?

It appears that once the Sapiens had eliminated all other forms of humans by 30,000 years ago, they began to eliminate most of the men of their own species!!!

image.thumb.png.7e583b809d13614cbe7a6914c5822c6f.png

Most European Men are Descended from just Three Bronze Age Warlords, New Study Reveals

The Prolific Legacies of Ancient Conquerors, 11 Men Shaped Asian Genetics

Ed in Houston

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow, Can you imagine... 17 women for every guy? As long as the guy had his own house... HAMMER TIME!

• Like 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

On 8/27/2019 at 6:39 AM, Ed in Houston said:

Anthropologists tell the story that as little as 50,000 years ago there were 5 or more species of humans including Sapiens, Neanderthals, Erectus, Denisovans and others. Sapiens who originated in Africa and migrated to the rest of the old world eliminated the other versions of humanity by either out screwing or out gunning the rest of humanity until there were only Sapiens left by 30,000 years ago. 

Well of course the science is not settled and new DNA findings and analysis show that the Denisovans  species of humans survived until only 15,000 years ago. Remember that Jericho is 10,000 years old so that is not so long ago as it sounds. The new DNA discoveries show that Denisovans coexisted with Sapiens until about 15,000 years ago and interbred with the Sapiens. Such recent interbreeding between Sapiens and Denisovans has resulted in a relatively high concentration of Denisovans DNA in present day indigenous Sapiens in New Guinea, about 6%.

Present day Sapien and Deniovans hybrids in New Guinea.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/a5/ee/4d/a5ee4d2f7a19b43c1e11f758a2ed5a28--ethnic-diversity-painted-skulls.jpg

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

Evidence found of Denisovans interbreeding with humans in Southeast Asia more recently than thought

Ed in Houston

• Like 1

Ed; interesting picture number four. Wonder how they knew how to paint their face like a Mandrill. That can't be a coincidence. 

• Like 1

Ever notice how everything is more colorful closer to the equator ?  plants, birds, fish, and H. sapiens !  Compare this to the grey tones of higher latitudes!

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Very interesting material and the main articles take you additional places where you can go on and on and on...

What you look for is what is looking

• Like 2

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

On 11/18/2019 at 9:28 AM, Darold Petty said:

Thanks for posting these great articles,  :greenthumb:

No problem. For as much as I love palms and plants, animals and particularly invertebrates are equally fascinating to me. It is almost uncanny how intelligent some cephalopods are.

Edited by SilverDragon

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

Why not just read the Bible then you won't have to worry about any speculation about what was, what is, and what is about to come.

You don't have to. But it helps.

• Like 1