IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your Caryota photos!

Daryl

On 8/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, DoomsDave said:

image.png.158188dfdab7940575658d4d3e75e051.png

image.png.777dd121c25ea3f8f3c2b0f32e33fd34.png

OMG. How soon after it produced seed did this unfortunate event take place?

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, palmfriend said:

Merlyn,

my Caryota is indeed endlessly pushing out new stems - but I don't want a clustering palm on this spot, so I trim them back all the time. It was labeled as a mitis when

I bought it and I think it is one. (...as far as I can say with my limited knowledge) May be I will "allow" a second or third stem to develop one day but not at the moment.

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Good effort there Lars! You could keep one small sucker spare so that when the main stem starts flowering it will replace it and you will have a perpetual single stemmed Fishtail Palm!

• Like 2

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

11 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

OMG. How soon after it produced seed did this unfortunate event take place?

Right around that time 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

27 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Right around that time 

Bummer. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

11 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

When they are a few feet taller they look just like a miniature Gigas, that's really neat!  

Merlyn,

Thank you very much! I think that was the idea somehow. Caryotas are kind of special and to keep their uniqueness among my other palms I thought it would be better to keep it single-stemed.

11 hours ago, Daryl said:

You could keep one small sucker spare so that when the main stem starts flowering it will replace it and you will have a perpetual single stemmed Fishtail Palm!

Daryl,

Wow! But to be honest I didn't looked at it that way but now I will. That is a h... of an advice and I will gladly take it into consideration. 

Thank you very much!

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

oh the caryota i grew in the late 90s and the caryota no and pinnata in early 2000's and left in pots for too long. got the caryota seeds out of Chang Mai Thailand and the others out of east java indonesia

6 minutes ago, JStraz said:

oh the caryota i grew in the late 90s and the caryota no and pinnata in early 2000's and left in pots for too long. got the caryota seeds out of Chang Mai Thailand and the others out of east java indonesia

Very cool so not only grown from seed but harvested in habitat :drool:

T J 

Here are some more pics the i grew about 500 gigas in Samoa, and a boat load of Socratea exhoriza. the Ravenala i got seed from Lou Thomas in Belize and the Bismarkia seeds i got from Gunter Gottlebe from Madagascar 

caryota_gigas_landgrant.jpg

landgrant_pics.jpg

59044261011__2BC597F5-B17A-4443-87D4-AE883922706B.jpg

59044285567__B07B3A45-D4D3-45D9-8EA8-F1B15E0443F4.jpg

• Like 1

Due to palm snobbery I will be chopping this down as soon as I get motivation. 

15 years in the ground in direct, full Vista sun. Great performer. 

Caryota Mitis

DSCF0208 (Large) (3).jpeg

DSCF0209 (Large) (3).jpeg

• Like 1