IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your Caryota photos!

Daryl

What a great genus, and often unappreciated. I know they can be a pain to remove once they flower, but they always add great interest to  a palm garden and deserve a place in our gardens. I had seven species growing in my last garden, and all did really well, mostly being fast growing and trouble free.

Anyway, I have a few for the new garden, but here are some photos from recent times, of plants growing in this area. Please feel free to add photos of your plants or those in your local area...

Here is FM  Walter John sizing up a nice fat trunk

DSC_3897.thumb.jpg.cb07d6010709fce03a3da99900d8471c.jpg

Great markings on C.zebrina

DSC_3507.thumb.jpg.ee80b3bfe069079330e4683759730096.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Saw this beauty yesterday...the photo is deceiving as it is a lot larger than it appears...check out the steel star pickets for scale...

IMG_2945.thumb.jpg.2c11ff3941f958a37d300f988008503f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I also have a No in the back but it's so tall you really can't get a picture of the beast.

IMG_5782.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Please share your garden pics please , what a great genus. C.Gigas is hard to be beat with its beautiful leaf shape and size =) 

T J 

Here is a pic of the C. Gigas I had before I allowed the power company to remove it. Also had a large (65' tall) Caryota (sold as Ochlandra, but could have been Urens) that came down on my house one fall "santa ana wind" night.  It was flowering and I was planning on having it cut down next spring, didn't make it that long! Don't have a pic of the Och/Urens other then it laying across my roof after I had removed the the top end to lessen the load on the roof. DSC_0006.thumb.jpg.4f27ffa388b543ad605c83c5f01ad210.jpgDSC_0012.thumb.jpg.5149272cd952370fdbd8598c99e2a553.jpgDSC_0063.thumb.JPG.384a725a41adff941576ed51f422f5e8.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Great topic Daryl. They are indeed beautiful, like giant tree ferns. I wish we could grow ones like zebrina around here; fantastic looking palms.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I was recently reading about palms in Los Angeles and the author mentioned that "they" don't provide any shade.  Clearly the author knew one and only one palm in LA, and that was Washingtonia robusta.  This Caryota gigas is the primary source of shade in my Carlsbad house's backyard.  As mentioned before, it will be a bear to remove when the time comes being on that slope.

20190821-104A4575.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Wow, Daryl, that is a fattie in the first photo! :o These are beautiful palms, for sure -- as shown by all the photos shared above. Nice specimens! Kind of jealous of those big C. obtusa/gigas fronds. :wub:

I have not focused much on this genus, but do have a single representative in the garden:

Czebrina082620193.thumb.jpg.52eb0c9a219e7c8741322cba637dcc73.jpg

Czebrina0826201902.thumb.jpg.307fa7fe45835ca598cc69e15f16a84d.jpg

Czebrina08262019.thumb.jpg.05486357671c98ae16003b8581292f09.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Focus on the newest leaf on my potted variegated Caryota mitis. Always looks awesome... until the dry air in my sunroom crisps the thinner edges of the whitest leaflets (visibly brown in this image). :bummed:

VariegatedCaryotaMitis.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

They are wonderful! Beautiful, fast, and, well, be careful about the big single trunk ones. (If you want specific info as to why PM me.)

C. mitis rocks, and if you can get the stripers to grow (some can in So-Cal) so much the better.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just now, colin Peters said:

IMG_3946.thumb.jpg.e17a9dc5f9d864cde2ce34be71ee7832.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

:drool::yay::drool::yay:

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

First two C. oreo. last one zebrina.  Which is starting to loose the markings as it gets older. Fruiting watermelons in background

aloha

@colin Peters, your garden is starting to look like mine. Just barely enough Chambeyroneas for a nice canopy!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, colin Peters said:

First two C. oreo. last one zebrina.  Which is starting to loose the markings as it gets older. Fruiting watermelons in background

aloha

Really nice Colin!  I was just going to ask if those were Zebrina or Ophiopellis, so thanks for saying which was which.  Have the Zebrina been faster growers?  Looks like they are bigger in the pics, but not sure if they were planted around the same time and from what size.  

I planted an Ophiopellis because I read they were slower and I was actually hoping for a slower growing Caryota since they can become huge quickly here.  

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Wow, Daryl, that is a fattie in the first photo! :o These are beautiful palms, for sure -- as shown by all the photos shared above. Nice specimens! Kind of jealous of those big C. obtusa/gigas fronds. :wub:

I have not focused much on this genus, but do have a single representative in the garden:

Czebrina082620193.thumb.jpg.52eb0c9a219e7c8741322cba637dcc73.jpg

Czebrina0826201902.thumb.jpg.307fa7fe45835ca598cc69e15f16a84d.jpg

Czebrina08262019.thumb.jpg.05486357671c98ae16003b8581292f09.jpg

Really nice Kim!  Is that Zebrina or Ophiopellis? 

Jason, it is C. zebrina. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

My largest C. Urens came down during monsoonal squalls in 2010. Succumbed to a weekend of 50mph winds and 12" of rain....
25629_109318635751581_4502675_n.jpg.0ef3f75bfda48cd4721c47a07c1e5498.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Not to derail the topic, but for those of you who lost C. urens during winds, where do they break off,  some point in the trunk or at the roots? How old were they? How much damage did you sustain? Trying to decide when I should cut the cord. :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Not to derail the topic, but for those of you who lost C. urens during winds, where do they break off,  some point in the trunk or at the roots? How old were they? How much damage did you sustain? Trying to decide when I should cut the cord. :) 

I had one fall that was about 70 feet tall and 18- 24" thick and it raised holy hell, took out the power in about a quarter of town, demolished my home power hookup, and smashed up a van, plus a bunch of Dypsis and some New Calendonians. :badday: That one broke at the base, after it had been cut soon after planting.

I had others that I had taken out anyway.

I'd think about chopping them when they hit about 30 feet or so. They're massively heavy, and when they go to seed the wood gets hard, and the roots can go kerfluey, causing them to tip over.

You can make purty bowls from the wood, though. B)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Mine was no more then 14 yrs old from being planted as a 15gal at maybe 6’ to the top of the tallest frond. Mine snapped right at the base. Mine had been through many windy Santa Ana’s with no problem, my theory is that when they get to the point of flowering and they start using up all the nutrients to produce the bid long inflorescence the tree starts starts dying from the bottom up and the trunk that before was more “green” inside is slowly dying and getting harder less flexible; then you add some wind and down they come. I had approx $2500 in roof, gutter repair & and another $800 in palm removal. Insurance did cover the repairs. 

36F8E458-87A3-4768-9214-BEAE9455BD45.thumb.jpeg.f18366921556e46faf9cae14c1056fff.jpeg764D156E-BEC2-40DE-A71F-60AF2D34351F.thumb.jpeg.96f51ae3abcab63c019770b1a485b291.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

Mine came down largely due to my poor choice of position....planted very close to my house and concrete slab, which didn't allow for 360* root expansion. And the tree grew at an angle away from the house.... so when the wind blew from that quarter, well down she came, uprooted out of the ground.

• Upvote 2

Well this thread became a downer =/ lets get those pics of your specimen Caryota spp going again. 

T J 

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

My Caryota Urens snapped off at the roots during a 2017 winter storm. I did not realize it until after if fell, but it had just started flowering (somewhat prematurely as it was only several years old). I was lucky as it did not crush anything:

Fallen_Caryota_1.thumb.jpg.e75bcb95ec23da1fbdfcfbc9f055f00e.jpg

Fallen_Caryota_2.thumb.jpg.4049d0175a32dc3c4b8c7b45d0f96a1d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Here's my one and only at the moment. 

Purposefully keeping it small and slow - they DO very well as house plants. 

CaryotaRumphiana.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I'd think about chopping them when they hit about 30 feet or so. They're massively heavy, and when they go to seed the wood gets hard, and the roots can go kerfluey, causing them to tip over.  You can make purty bowls from the wood, though. B)

That's a pretty good idea, really.  I have a seedling Gigas now that I'm planning to put in the front yard next spring.  I've seen enough of the 70-80 foot tall water oaks crashing down in hurricanes, and am planting it about 50' from the house.  Supposedly they only grow to 30-40' tall here in Central FL, I guess due to the rate of growth they flower young.  Either way, cutting it down before it can threaten the house is a good idea!

Keep the photos coming people! Great photos so far, but I prefer the vertical ones to the horizontals...:D 

Here's a couple more local ones growing in suburban front yards

DSC_8663.thumb.jpg.5aa887bb8f87f51637d5983363cca3fa.jpg

DSC_8668.thumb.jpg.a10b84b2c35630e1f5684035c33d1062.jpg

• Like 2

Here's some leaf shots of my C.gigas (obtusa?) in the old garden

DSC_0048.thumb.jpg.687f2faf610af68c0a68b5f939f02e89.jpg

DSC_1253.thumb.jpg.f2246e8a966b8cda11cf5649f6362058.jpg

• Like 4

Caryota ophiopellis markings

DSC_3747.thumb.jpg.97ffd3ad0ee5017e1dfd16f3f52aff7c.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

This is my C. No that came down during Hurricane Irma, we did not get the brunt of the storm but it was enough to take her down, snapped right at the base. Tree was very large, about 10 years in the ground. The wood is really hard to cut up even with a good chain saw and the logs are incredibly heavy, so I planted broms on them and wait for nature to take them away. Unlike most palms these don't decay very fast.  I was lucky that the path this pam took on the way down nothing was killed, shocking actually.

IMG_5849.jpg

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5852.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

My two baby Gigas / Obtusa seedlings were a couple of 1 leafers in December 2018, with just the somewhat ratty leaf taped to the bamboo stake on the left.  They just opened up their first 6-leaf fronds a few weeks ago.  They are certainly one of the faster growing seedlings, the only faster one at this age are a few Dictyosperma Rubrum.  I'll transfer them to tall treepots in a few weeks and hope to plant them next spring!

P1050330.thumb.JPG.8e2a3d32fdd30b364492746deaffa621.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

My Caryota Urens snapped off at the roots during a 2017 winter storm. I did not realize it until after if fell, but it had just started flowering (somewhat prematurely as it was only several years old). I was lucky as it did not crush anything: 

So Matt & Brett you got me thinking I should look more closely at my Caryota (appears to be urens but purchased as a Caryota no).  Sure enough I went out this morning and saw the telltale sign of flowers or fruit hanging down but pretty well disguised.  I won't wait for a winter storm as its too close to the house to invite a problem like that.  There is a little bit of petiole exposed which is why I'm going with C urens versus C mitis and it's pretty small.  See last photo for petiole base.

I have another small Caryota purchased as Caryota no but I'm doubting it actually is.  It is still only about 5' tall from base to tip of newest leaf.  I put it in a spot that I'm now not happy with.  I seem to recall that Caryota's don't like to be dug if I wanted to relocate the little one once I pull out the flowering one.  Any thoughts on trying to transplant the little one?

20190827-104A4635.jpg

20190827-104A4637.jpg

20190827-104A4633.jpg

20190827-104A4633-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation