IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Minor "Louisiana" in Zone 7

NCFM

I just potted some sabal minor "Louisiana" seedlings I purchased online from a palm nursery in Florida. I've done some research on this variety and my plan is to overwinter them inside and then plant them in the ground next May. If any of you have had any experience with this specific palm in I would appreciate some advice/tips. Thanks

Here's a picture of them:

sabal louisiana.jpg

Edited by NC_Palm_Enthusiast
  • Like 1

You can leave them outside in pots as long as you don't get hard freezes. They will be much happier outdoors overall than in a dark, dry house. You may not have to keep them indoors except for coldest part of winter.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

You can leave them outside in pots as long as you don't get hard freezes. They will be much happier outdoors overall than in a dark, dry house. You may not have to keep them indoors except for coldest part of winter.

Freezes aren't all that common here but they do happen. I was going to keep them in my basement under a lamp during this winter just to grow them a little bit before I plant them in the ground permanently. I've heard the bigger/more mature the palm is, the hardier it will be. Do you think they'll be ok if they get constant light from the lamp during the day? My basement is typically pretty humid, as well. I just want to make sure I don't kill them somehow over the winter.

Edited by NC_Palm_Enthusiast

They will appreciate the light and any extra heat indoors.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

This variety is my favorite of the Sabal minors, as they show robust growth.  I would NOT overwinter them in containers outside in your zone, as the pots would freeze..., the ground is much warmer and less prone to wild temperature fluctuations.  I overwinter my containerized Louisianas in a relatively cold (but largely frost free garage) without any problems.  Temps probably average 40-55 in the Winter but can drop to 30 F..  You can then transplant them into the ground the Spring. Not sure how they would respond though, if your only option was an overly warm area of you house. (I have a few Louisianas, and Sabal mexicana, and bermudana--my favorite Sabal).

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 2

They could probably be planted now and just mulched with a pile of leaves if it gets cold if you want to do that.  Better is wait till next April.  When they are small they stay much closer to the warm ground and should have few problems unless temps go under 5F

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

On 8/25/2019 at 4:52 PM, oasis371 said:

This variety is my favorite of the Sabal minors, as they show robust growth.  I would NOT overwinter them in containers outside in your zone, as the pots would freeze..., the ground is much warmer and less prone to wild temperature fluctuations.  I overwinter my containerized Louisianas in a relatively cold (but largely frost free garage) without any problems.  Temps probably average 40-55 in the Winter but can drop to 30 F..  You can then transplant them into the ground the Spring. Not sure how they would respond though, if your only option was an overly warm area of you house. (I have a few Louisianas, and Sabal mexicana, and bermudana--my favorite Sabal).

Interesting, I was thinking about storing them in the basement with a lamp over them. The only thing I worry about down there is a lack of humidity. 

Low relative humidity in the air does not seem to be a problem for them, as long as they are well watered.  How much light will they get? I've grown them indoors over winter under high-output t5 lamps, and it gives them quite a boost, relative to those in the ground (which do not grow over winter). But if you cannot give them a decent amount of light, you might not get much benefit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RaleighNC said:

Low relative humidity in the air does not seem to be a problem for them, as long as they are well watered.  How much light will they get? I've grown them indoors over winter under high-output t5 lamps, and it gives them quite a boost, relative to those in the ground (which do not grow over winter). But if you cannot give them a decent amount of light, you might not get much benefit.

I see, I'll have to look into getting a couple of those t5 bulbs/tubes to put over them.

How cold can they reliably take once mature?

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 8/27/2019 at 6:10 PM, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

I see, I'll have to look into getting a couple of those t5 bulbs/tubes to put over them.

If you do, try to get the high-output types. There is a "normal" t5 type as well, but are not nearly as bright. And generally you cannot put the T5HO bulbs into a normal t5 fixture because they need different ballasts.

16 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

How cold can they reliably take once mature?

I don't think anyone knows answers to stuff like this for sure.  Reliably they can take 32F  LOL .  Anyway these sabals are probably all different in some ways and have different characteristics.  For the ones I have under 5F I'd worry about Louisiana or Birmingham.  But The hardier sabals may take dips below 0F and be fine.   I expect my Minors to take 0F or below to -5F.  But they are all different even different minor varieties.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I really like the idea of sabal Louisiana but I don't want to have to protect one every year after the establishment period seeing as the past 7 or 8 winters have had some pretty bellow average temps. Lowest I have seen was 3F, so Im thinking I should scrap the idea and just go with rhapidophyllum and regular sabal minor.  The former survived unprotected as a strap leaf its first winter (out in the open on the north side of the property) that was planted in early to mid July last year.  I will have 2 palms Ill have to protect almost every year and the trachycarpus most likely for a few years at least maybe forever. I want trouble free in my garden too lol. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

My minors took 0F in 2018 and those stupid cold days here so they are pretty tough but even those have different varieties that are hardier or at least supposed to be.  All I know is I'm impressed that mine just had some cold spotting on the fronds after 2018.  They were about 4' tall.  I just planted 2 more Sabal Minor (Baker County) from Steve this year that were great size and I ordered 2 dwarf minors from Plant Delight just the other day.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, mdsonofthesouth said:

I really like the idea of sabal Louisiana but I don't want to have to protect one every year after the establishment period seeing as the past 7 or 8 winters have had some pretty bellow average temps. Lowest I have seen was 3F, so Im thinking I should scrap the idea and just go with rhapidophyllum and regular sabal minor.  The former survived unprotected as a strap leaf its first winter (out in the open on the north side of the property) that was planted in early to mid July last year.  I will have 2 palms Ill have to protect almost every year and the trachycarpus most likely for a few years at least maybe forever. I want trouble free in my garden too lol. 

Sabal "louisiana" is supposed to be very cold hardy. According to the grower I purchased them from, they are good down to 5F. Where I live it's very rare for it to ever get below 15 and we don't get a whole lot of freezes so I don't think I'll have to worry about it as much as you might.

I planted Sabal minor 'Dallas' this Spring. They come from an area that regularly sees freezes (just not super intense freezes, for the most part) and can be pretty cold in the winter. I think they will be alright here, maybe you should check them out? 

PalmTreeDude

I don’t know much about their cold tolerance, although I remember someone on here shared photos of Sabal Louisiana in Wichita, KS that looked undamaged after below zero temperatures.

I just know that once established they’re faster than regular minor. My Louisiana is a frond or two ahead of all of my other minors so far this year.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, tlow said:

Any updates on these?

When I got these I was just starting out on what would become a passion for palms,  so I really had no idea what I was doing.  I made the mistake of potting them up in standard potting soil,  and then attempted to overwinter them in my garage.  Two of the three specimens died from overwatering-induced root rot,  but I somehow managed to keep the third one alive.  I planted it in the ground the following spring.  Since then it's put out a few new fronds and seems to be very healthy.  I expect the growth rate will speed up a bit this summer when the temps are hotter and because it's now had a full year to establish its root system. 

13 hours ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

When I got these I was just starting out on what would become a passion for palms,  so I really had no idea what I was doing.  I made the mistake of potting them up in standard potting soil,  and then attempted to overwinter them in my garage.  Two of the three specimens died from overwatering-induced root rot,  but I somehow managed to keep the third one alive.  I planted it in the ground the following spring.  Since then it's put out a few new fronds and seems to be very healthy.  I expect the growth rate will speed up a bit this summer when the temps are hotter and because it's now had a full year to establish its root system. 

So the one living is still in a pot getting ready to go into the ground?  I have two that were purchased together and one went into the ground, while one is the still in a large pot.  The one in ground has thrown up a big new spear, the one in the pot is just now starting a tiny spear so it's obvious that being in ground it's much happier.  They have both gotten a monumental amount of water with our rainy last couple of weeks here in north Texas and seem to love it.  Can't wait to see progress on these.. so much so that I just picked up another one.  If their hardiness is what we think, the growth rate is fantastic!

I have six S. Birminghams that I wish were growing as quickly as these, but hey, variety is the spice of life!  Plant them all.  Would love to see some pics of yours so I can compare.

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

2 hours ago, tlow said:

So the one living is still in a pot getting ready to go into the ground?

No, I planted it in the ground last April.  Like you said, they’re definitely much happier in the ground - which seems to be the case with all sabals. 

Here is its first year of growth. It put out three new fronds which is not much,  but that’s because most of the growth is going on below the surface for the first year or two: 

April 2020:

635169AF-055A-416B-A172-CC5289C7318E.thumb.jpeg.102f17e506641aea4770fc75170c0ae6.jpeg

May 2021:

99D3176E-2094-4C39-9127-E6FCDA54AB65.thumb.jpeg.117bd3f3bb8a058ab68f50357e36977b.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Wownits looking amazing! Any Update pictures? :lol:

I also just got a small one and also gonna wait till April. Which usda 7 are you and did you protect it?

IMG-20211002-WA0006.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 6:56 PM, Will said:

Wownits looking amazing! Any Update pictures? :lol:

I also just got a small one and also gonna wait till April. Which usda 7 are you and did you protect it?

IMG-20211002-WA0006.jpg

Thanks! I’m in USDA zone 7b and here is an update picture from a few weeks ago:

C85C0EB3-059F-44F4-B25E-23E713AA71DC.thumb.jpeg.3f848f98e3e6db3119a992212131d04a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, NCFM said:

Thanks! I’m in USDA zone 7b and here is an update picture from a few weeks ago:

C85C0EB3-059F-44F4-B25E-23E713AA71DC.thumb.jpeg.3f848f98e3e6db3119a992212131d04a.jpeg

Update on this guy?  Love seeing Sabal Louisianas.. a very much under appreciated species.

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

Looking good...one of my favorite Sabal to grow along with McCurtain and Brazoria, all are super

hardy esp after they put out some good sized fans and yours should be in business big time this year

with plenty of heat and water....sadly both my McCuratin and Lou pulled this spring, they were covered

with rose cones but no heat, they only have strap leaves and may or may not come back.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 8:28 AM, tlow said:

Update on this guy?  Love seeing Sabal Louisianas.. a very much under appreciated species.

Here it is today.  I just fertilized it with PalmGain about a week ago so I’m hoping for some big growth this summer 

A5B28C41-899E-4566-9103-AC8C8B04922D.thumb.jpeg.d0a2f34c65832337fa7b6505720f0995.jpeg

5AF6F2E8-4626-43EB-B817-976F8006C86E.thumb.jpeg.d3aceeaab0d9d734a738ec59803d3514.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good. My Louisiana seems to be about as leaf hardy as my numerous other minors. But, in my climate, when the bud starts to grow above ground (trunking), it seems to be more prone to spear pull/rot. I've started to preventively apply copper based fungicide in early spring.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

How.do you decide when to apply the fungicide?

For a preventative when daytime temps hit 60's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EwU4F-Gotw

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 8:44 PM, RJ said:

I still need to get some of these :crying:

How do you still not have any ? That still cant be the case right ? I'm sure @Sabal King has plenty ready to ship. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

18 months growth in the ground ! These are rockets compared to regular minors and I don't believe you give up much hardiness. 

T J 

20220429_195018.jpg

20231105_124556.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

T J 

I have a lot of S.minor that pops up in the yard. Some I try to integrate into the landscape. I find it very slow to develop characteristic leaves in sitio. I wonder if Sabals grow faster (initially) in a pot where they can get root-bound.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SeanK said:

I have a lot of S.minor that pops up in the yard. Some I try to integrate into the landscape. I find it very slow to develop characteristic leaves in sitio. I wonder if Sabals grow faster (initially) in a pot where they can get root-bound.

A year-round warmer root zone helps, so a potted specimen can provide that option in the early going.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

How do you still not have any ? That still cant be the case right ? I'm sure @Sabal King has plenty ready to ship. 

T J 

LOL I've got some seed in the works, hoping they pop here shortly. Just too many projects I guess.  Along with my palm fetish I also have a tree fetish, and have actually been focusing on that most recently. Now that the house is in, long term landscaping plans need to come together, but as always it's all in the prep work. I have been running underground irrigation lines all over the place, low voltage and high voltage as well. All while still trying to make accommodations for growth down the road.  I've got a clean slate to work with so I want to get it right. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 11:35 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

18 months growth in the ground ! These are rockets compared to regular minors and I don't believe you give up much hardiness. 

T J 

20220429_195018.jpg

20231105_124556.jpgThat is crazy how fast they grow Beautiful  🌴