IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attalea cohune, dubia, pharaleta, geraenesis

necturus

Hello,

I have been trying to get a hold of any of these Attalea for some time without luck. I am in Houston. I would especially like to get a cohune or two.

Thanks, Daniel

• Like 1

4 hours ago, necturus said:

Hello,

I have been trying to get a hold of any of these Attalea for some time without luck. I am in Houston. I would especially like to get a cohune or two.

Thanks, Daniel

Good call let me know if you find any they might be worth a try for us. Doesnt sound like they wouldve survived our 2018 winter tho =/ 

T J 

I bought a bunch of seedlings from www.palmseeds.net a while back, most of them survived in my little nursery area.  I had the misfortune of ordering in December, and they imported through NY in the middle of the worst cold front of the year.  So some were probably doomed from the start.  I bought Attalea Phalerata, Arenga Pinnata, Caryota Gigas and Livistona Speciosa.  The website is incredibly slow but eventually loads.

You could also try contacting a fleaBay seller mr.palms12.  He's a local guy that (I think) used to own MB Palms.  He still grows a lot of palms and seedlings, a while back he had a 1 gallon Attalea Cohune for $50.  I think he's also a "stealth member" here, but I'm not sure.

• 2 months later...

How cold hardy is attalea cohune?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

My notes have Phalerata being slightly tougher than Cohune, capable of several weeks of frost in Sarasota with minimal damage, and 24-25F with no canopy and minor damage.  Cohune, Speciosa and Butyracea survived 1989 lows here in FL, some totally defoliated at 19F.  Minor to moderate damage in middle 20s and minor damage in the upper 20s for those 3 species.

10 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

My notes have Phalerata being slightly tougher than Cohune, capable of several weeks of frost in Sarasota with minimal damage, and 24-25F with no canopy and minor damage.  Cohune, Speciosa and Butyracea survived 1989 lows here in FL, some totally defoliated at 19F.  Minor to moderate damage in middle 20s and minor damage in the upper 20s for those 3 species.

Thanks Merlyn, unfortunately they are very difficult to find, at least in Europe...

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

8 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@meteorologistpalmguy has A.Cohune growing in North Houston and I believe survived both 2017 and 2018 winters. Not sure what kind of protection it got tho 

No protection, but completely defoliates below the mid 20s.   Growth point is still below ground so it is able to recover, and did so even after two 15 degree lows.   Never will look very grand/pretty here I am afraid.

11 minutes ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

No protection, but completely defoliates below the mid 20s.   Growth point is still below ground so it is able to recover, and did so even after two 15 degree lows.   Never will look very grand/pretty here I am afraid.

Is the problem more that they don't grow fast enough to recover even after a mild winter like last year ? Would love to see any progress pics of it cause I'm definitely gonna try one down my way. @Jeff985 if he has enough room might really be able to get it to prosper. 

16 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

My notes have Phalerata being slightly tougher than Cohune, capable of several weeks of frost in Sarasota

Where can one get one of theses or even seeds ? Haven't see on RPS 

T J 

24 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Is the problem more that they don't grow fast enough to recover even after a mild winter like last year ? Would love to see any progress pics of it cause I'm definitely gonna try one down my way. @Jeff985 if he has enough room might really be able to get it to prosper. 

I’ve never seen one of those around here. I’d make room for one of those. My neighbor has to work tomorrow and I’m off. Maybe I can move the fence over about eight feet without him noticing. Bring it over. 

39 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

82E77B19-8AEB-44E7-9D82-277FE1508584.thumb.jpeg.186cc37afe50576f243555f7f22d8cd0.jpeg
C8B19712-54C5-4A4C-AF4C-9D1DFBC38432.thumb.jpeg.bdb5eda80fcd7beb1d8e683ba78d9333.jpeg

Above is shortly after I got mine, early 2016 and then a month ago.  Not much change.  Leaves maybe about twice as high now.  Mine seems to throw out about 2-3 leaves per year after being burnt to the ground.   I picked mine up from Redland Nursery on a road trip from Florida to Texas, so I got it in person instead of mail order.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Above is shortly after I got mine, early 2016 and then a month ago.  Not much change.  Leaves maybe about twice as high now.  Mine seems to throw out about 2-3 leaves per year after being burnt to the ground.   I picked mine up from Redland Nursery on a road trip from Florida to Texas, so I got it in person instead of mail order.  

Whatever happens with it, I can’t blame you for trying. They are attractive palms. One of these days I’m going to have to make a road trip to Florida to do some palm shopping. 

I have two Cohune in the ground, one from PT member carver and the other mailorder from GardenOfEarthlyDelights in the Miami area.  Both were planted this summer, so hopefully we'll have a mild winter this year!  I have seen Cohune and Phalerata seeds for sale at RPS, they have Cohune in stock right now.  I bought seedlings of both from Thailand last December from palmseeds.net.  Some died over the winter, so I'm down to two Phalerata seedlings which are very slow but still moving.

I think Redlands will do mailorder, and you might try D'Asign Source too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

What size was it when you bought it. Redland has a 5 gallon for $50. I’m sure shipping would probably double it though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

What size was it when you bought it. Redland has a 5 gallon for $50. I’m sure shipping would probably double it though. 

We need to just call them and make an order @necturusis in on it too sure we can find others who would want some palms shipped to our area =) 

T J 

30 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

We need to just call them and make an order @necturusis in on it too sure we can find others who would want some palms shipped to our area =) 

Works for me. 

20 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I believe it was a 5 gallon when I got it.  No recollection at all of how much it costed. 

• 5 months later...

JungleMusic advertised Attalea Cohune this month on their discounted plant blog. Still $80 + shipping I believe. My small Cohune randomly died in March,  but my Butyraceae is flourishing in all the recent sun we’ve had.

I got a A.Cohune shipped from Redlands nursery. It survived there horrible packaging and outrageous shipping cost. I can say I have one now haha leaves aren't pinnate yet tho 

T J