IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Interesting ground cover option

Tracy

This particular variety of plumeria just wants to crawl along the ground.  This particular plant is growing in the brick planter above.  It's limbs eventually hang over the side and grow down under the weight until they hit the ground and start crawling.  I've removed many sections since I planted it because they eventually get in the way.  It is a hybrid a friend's wife created.  Don't ask me what the parent plants were as I don't recall.  She named it San Diego Sunset, because their home and garden is right above the south end of the San Diego Bay and the various hues of white, pink, orange and yellow reminded them of the sunsets.

20190821-104A4603.jpg

• Like 5

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

16 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Does it root itself as it crawls?

No rooting as it crawls, but it is one of the easiest plumeria to start from cuttings that I have ever grown.  Some years it holds its leaves year round in this climate unlike other varieties growing in my yard, and its flowering season starts early and lasts late (translated it doesn't need as many long days of heat as some other varieties.  The down side is that when grown in a pot its propensity to want to crawl results in the pots often tipping over if its growth isn't balanced in the pot.

• Like 1

Some better shots of the flowers up higher in the planter.

20190823-104A4607.jpg

20190823-104A4609.jpg