IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Deformed growth Bismarckia nobilis new spear

Tracy

I was just noticing the new spear that has pushed out on my Bismarckia nobilis was attacked by something and is quite deformed.  It appears that using a treatment (hydrogen peroxide or an antifungal) at this point is a bit late in that the petiole below is clean so I think whatever caused the problem was transient.  There is some browning on parts of the prior leaves and petiole that were adjacent to it before they all emerged.  I'm still curious as to what caused this.  Ironically, I also saw it's first flower stalk emerging.

20190821-104A4569-2.jpg

20190821-104A4569.jpg

20190821-104A4568.jpg

20190726-104A4353.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Fungus attack, cleaning with h2o2 is not too late...

• Like 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I'd be concerned about insects chewing away at the interior of the palm. Maybe treat with a systemic -- but remove any flowers first to prevent harming bees. (I guess not what you want to hear, but...)

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Tracy,

It looks like fungal damage to me. The good news is that the palm has pushed through it & is likely on it's way. I just had this happen with a Syagrus amara. One frond unfurled completely brown & eventually broke off at the base where the infection (or critter) was. But the next spear looks perfect so hopefully all is well. Very cool to see yours flowering.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

20 minutes ago, Kim said:

I'd be concerned about insects chewing away at the interior of the palm. Maybe treat with a systemic -- but remove any flowers first to prevent harming bees. (I guess not what you want to hear, but...)

Probably a good idea Kim.

11 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

The good news is that the palm has pushed through it & is likely on it's way.

That is what it appears to me, but on rethinking I like Kim's idea.  I have been going over to the house a lot this last month, because we were between tenants and doing some renovations.  I first noticed that the emerging spear was brown but didn't think much of it because it didn't appear deformed initially.  It wasn't until yesterday as the spear was at the stage that it should be opening that I could see the damage.  I have a new tenant moving in today so won't be monitoring it very closely which is why I like Kim's idea of trimming off the emerging flower stalk and using a systemic.  The growth point is above what I can reach standing on a conventional ladder, so I would have to rig something on a pole to try pouring anything down inside the crown at this point.  I had my camera over my head as far as I could reach to get the photos, just aim and shoot, no seeing through the view finder.

5 hours ago, Tracy said:

I was just noticing the new spear that has pushed out on my Bismarckia nobilis was attacked by something and is quite deformed.  It appears that using a treatment (hydrogen peroxide or an antifungal) at this point is a bit late in that the petiole below is clean so I think whatever caused the problem was transient.  There is some browning on parts of the prior leaves and petiole that were adjacent to it before they all emerged.  I'm still curious as to what caused this.  Ironically, I also saw it's first flower stalk emerging.

20190821-104A4569-2.jpg

20190821-104A4569.jpg

20190821-104A4568.jpg

20190726-104A4353.jpg

Tracy - Is your Bismarkia the green version?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

56 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Is your Bismarkia the green version?

I would say no, it is not the green form.  Here it is in more daylight below and you can see the color compared to the adjacent palms.  Look at the top of the leaves on the right side of the photo which are in the sun and they are a silvery blue while the leaf undersides have more of a silver green tint.  I don't think it is a silvery as it used to be due to fewer hours of full sun as all the plants to it's west and east have grown bigger.   It only gets full sun from mid-morning to mid afternoon at this point.  I don't know that it will ever catch up to the plants to the west which are up the slope with the ground there being about 14' higher than at the base of the Bismarckia.

20190609-104A3784.jpg