IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm trees dying?

Kobach

@Kobach

Not entirely sure what happened, but they look DOA.  Judging by the spear that was pulled, some kind of infection in the crown... too much irrigation?  You can attempt a save by pouring hydrogen peroxide in the crown, but I think they are too far gone personally.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

For the peroxide: Check the palms for spear pull.  It looks like you already did this with one judging by the photographs.  If it pulls, you can just dump peroxide into the gaping hole it leaves when you yank it out.  If it doesn't, you'll have to maneuver  the spear and peroxide bottle around to ensure that you get some peroxide 360o around the spear.  The peroxide should foam up to the point that some may come out of the hole in the crown.  At that point, you can shave the trunk if you wish.

Cutting the trunk:  This is an area where you have to be careful.  You can see an example of successful trunk cutting on this post in another forum: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2089915/old-windmill-palm-spear-pull-deep-cut

My attempt at trunk cutting an Archontophoenix alexandrae was a failure because I didn't notice the symptoms of infection too long.  For as common a palm as Phoenix roebelenii, I would personally just get rid of the dead/damaged ones and get new ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Unfortunately those are DOA.

Did you ever confirm that the plants were getting watered and how much?

The good news is that these are easily replaced.

• Like 2

Welcome to PalmTalk.

Those palms are crispy dead. Have you tested your irrigation lately?

Pygmy dates are cheap as dirt and twice as common. Replace them and make sure to water them regularly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

No. I had my concrete power washed and sealed with acryl. But nothing should have touched the palm. 

Edited by Kobach

If you are so inclined, you can cut the dead trunks and leave the green ones.

In the past, I have done this with no issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kobach said:

No. I had my concrete power washed and sealed with acryl. But nothing should have touched the palm. 

My guess would be there's your answer. I've seen similar damage on Roebelenii after power wash jobs. Our barrel tile roofs here are made with concrete and some companies use a chemical that causes the issue you've experienced. That's why I asked about the roof. It doesn't take a lot of whatever the chemical is to cause it because I've seen it where gutters catch the runoff and really only the mist lands on the plant. One plant can die while a similar age plant only a few feet away remains perfectly healthy.

Here's a perfect example. I know the only variable was a concrete barrel tile roof power wash job. Note, gutters and healthy Roebelinii foliage in the left foreground only a few feet away. There are several thriving 3-5 trunk Roebelinii clumps to the left of the walk which have all been there 15+ years, planted the same time the dead ones were. The dead one was a double and I'd removed the first trunk that completely died a couple weeks prior to this pic because the homeowner was hoping for a miracle survival of this one which still showed a little life at the time. 

20181214_145301_zpsjiojzwyr.jpg

• Like 1

They look badly underwatered. Pygmy Date palms are native to humid Southeast Asia with high rainfall. They like lots of water especially in the dry air of Southern CA. It’s almost impossible to overwater them. Your’s look water starved. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

How can I find out if they are underwatered or not? We have clay soil so the drip Irrigation is like 3 hours every 3 days controlled by Racchio. 

The soil feels slightly moist. 

I never had palms before,so no huge experience. 

On August 23, 2019 at 9:36 AM, Kobach said:

How can I find out if they are underwatered or not? We have clay soil so the drip Irrigation is like 3 hours every 3 days controlled by Racchio. 

The soil feels slightly moist. 

I never had palms before,so no huge experience. 

They're exibiting the typical symptoms of under watering. Leaves are short and yellowing/browning. Water should be hitting entire root zone, not just a small drip area. Lots of the roots on these are shallow and spread out so emitters that emit a spray pattern covering the entire drip line would be very beneficial. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Phoenix Roebellenii is native to southeast Asia in regions that experience strong tropical, monsoonal climates and 75+ inches of rain per year. The water table in it's natural habitat would be quite high and it is adapted to deal with prolonged wet, stormy, humid, overcast weather. That probably includes sitting in wet, boggy ground. Southern California on the other hand only gets 10-15 inches of rain and has a very low water table. It is much sunnier, drier and less humid there.

In hot Mediterranean or arid/desert climates, you need to be heavily watering Phoenix Roebellenii, or any Phoenix type for that matter. But especially Roebelleinii. Or they need to be planted on the edge of a water source. In fact it grows along the banks of rivers in its native Vietnam range.

I myself have seen a number of dried out, dead Roebellenii's in the hot, dry summer regions of Spain and Greece. Lots of dead ones in and around Seville, Spain which is very hot and dry during the summer. They seem to do very well in hot, wet, tropical places such as Florida, Texas gulf and east coast of Australia, though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

39 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Phoenix Roebellenii is native to southeast Asia in regions that experience strong tropical, monsoonal climates and 75+ inches of rain per year. The water table in it's natural habitat would be quite high and it is adapted to deal with prolonged wet, stormy, humid, overcast weather. That probably includes sitting in wet, boggy ground. Southern California on the other hand only gets 10-15 inches of rain and has a very low water table. It is much sunnier, drier and less humid there.

Good point.

I must add I believe P. roebellinii are the second most prolific and common palm in California right after the Washingtonias.  They thrive and excel in the State. However, since they are small, folks do not notice them from afar.  

But yes, they do love water and just as Washies, Roebellinii seeds germinate wherever they land:

15668667320793544736774545242801.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought two new pygmae palms for 350 usd each. 

Problems again. This picture is from last week. Nursery said please use anti fungal spray. 

20190903_102048.jpg

Now after 3 days after application, palm looks like this. Does not look healthy. 

I increased crop coefficient in Rachio by 50percent, soil is moist. 

Still underwatered? 

20190907_162212.thumb.jpg.ec0148de1ff801efe88f82ee89f6f3c8.jpg

That looks like a serious scale infestation, not a fungus.  Check some of the small white dots on the stems, if they are hard shelled little bumps that pop off with your fingernail then you need to treat for the scale insects.  The normal recommendation is to spray down with high hose pressure (not a pressure washer) to wash off the adults, do a soil drench with a systemic insecticide (Imadicloprid or Dinotefuran) and biweekly foliar sprays with a surface insecticide like Malathion, Acephate or similar.

• Like 1