IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plant ID help

-2 brian

I’ve had these plants (palms?) for a long time, cant remember where they came from but never had a real ID on them. They spread by underground and get to 24” - 36” tall & form a flower inflorescence with little yellow flower at the base. Never form any sort of a trunk. I originally thought it was some sort of ground palm (trunckless) but now I think it’s probably not a palm at all? I’ve seen what I believe to be the exact same plants down in Costa Rica around the Arenal Volcano area. Any help with their ID would be appreciated 223E1C02-8AA8-42DE-B2BD-05CCE6B6B426.thumb.jpeg.79d39105f6b9e9b11a2a96033756e9b0.jpegE31546DD-26DF-4E34-B750-B82C45FC962D.thumb.jpeg.1ed6245c33f4266f7e6dbd63d9e49ec3.jpeg44FB584A-E620-4608-A366-0FD0C83A658C.thumb.jpeg.f192cff22d021b897e3af32ffde32203.jpeg

21 minutes ago, -2 brian said:

I’ve had these plants (palms?) for a long time, cant remember where they came from but never had a real ID on them. They spread by underground and get to 24” - 36” tall & form a flower inflorescence with little yellow flower at the base. Never form any sort of a trunk. I originally thought it was some sort of ground palm (trunckless) but now I think it’s probably not a palm at all? I’ve seen what I believe to be the exact same plants down in Costa Rica around the Arenal Volcano area. Any help with their ID would be appreciated 223E1C02-8AA8-42DE-B2BD-05CCE6B6B426.thumb.jpeg.79d39105f6b9e9b11a2a96033756e9b0.jpegE31546DD-26DF-4E34-B750-B82C45FC962D.thumb.jpeg.1ed6245c33f4266f7e6dbd63d9e49ec3.jpeg44FB584A-E620-4608-A366-0FD0C83A658C.thumb.jpeg.f192cff22d021b897e3af32ffde32203.jpeg

Looks like Curculigo capitulata.  Edit: Genus was changed to Molineria, Curculigo is an older  name.  Great plant, need to find more myself.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Looks like Curculigo capitulata.  Edit: Genus was changed to Molineria, Curculigo is an older  name.  Great plant, need to find more myself.

Thanks so much for the ID! I’ve had this plant for years now & it has done well and spreads  readily for me, not even sure how it made it to the back yard! It’s nice to finally know what it is. The common name of palm grass really suits it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -2 brian said:

Thanks so much for the ID! I’ve had this plant for years now & it has done well and spreads  readily for me, not even sure how it made it to the back yard! It’s nice to finally know what it is. The common name of palm grass really suits it. 

:greenthumb:  Its interesting since, at the same time, i also had a couple 1gals of Setaria palmifolia, which is also called " Palm Grass ".  Both look quite similar from afar and both make great understory compliment plants in shady spots below Palms and other bigger leaved tropicals. Was surprised the first time these flowered since i'd assumed any " flowers " wouldn't be much to look at, kind of like the flowers on Setaria p. which look like any typical grass. Quite the opposite.  Flowers might have had a scent if i remember right but its been awhile. Think i lost them to snails / cutworms while in Florida. Stinks since the one place i remember getting them from ( San Marcos Growers ) apparently isn't stocking them.