• Similar Content

• Pablo Palma
      By Pablo Palma
      Hello everyone, recently joined new member. Very nice to meet you all!!
      Could you help me with an ID for this palm? My first guess was Adonidia merrillii but somehow just looks different to me. What do you think? I can add details of trunk, fruits, inflorescences and leaves if required. Thanks.

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      Now that our temps have finally settled into the lower 100'sF in the Arizona desert, Caribbean species are starting to flower,en masse! First up is Pseudophoenix sargentii. (all pics taken just now)

aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Our first day of fall ushered in some drier if not cooler air. That drier air was heralded by a wind and rain storm that managed to do more damage and knock over more things than TS Sally a couple of weeks ago. Among the things blown over were two enormous pots of Areca catechu dwarf and semi-dwarf. We couldn't help but notice that both pots were rootbound. Having no larger pots to move these palms to we decided to bite the bullet and plant them in our back yard jungle. So, yesterday and today we did. We also had to sacrifice two nice plastic pots to free them. I have several other large pots of dwarf Arecas and have made plans to put them in the ground this fall. But planting a very large rootbound palm every few days is all we can manage at our age. We will spend the whole winter trying to catch up to everything that got away from us this past growing season.
      Naturally, I took photos.
      Areca catechu, Semi-Dwarf - While not the coveted fully dwarf version of this species, this is quite a special palm in its own right. It is about 7-8' tall and has nicely scrunched leaves.
      Note: I took closeups of the scuffed/abraded crownshaft and trunk. That occurred when the storm pushed over the pot into a Beccariophoenix. I treated the wounds with hydrogen peroxide. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do to prevent infection?

Notice scrapes on crownshaft and trunk

Areca catechu Dwarf - Dwarf Arecas occur along a spectrum from extreme to semi. This palm is quite dwarf, although it has distinct 1-2" petioles. We planted it in place of a fading Satakentia

Petioles approx 1-2" long

Areca catechu Normal - This typical Areca catechu is planted close to the dwarf and semi-dwarf in the jungle. It is going into its 2nd winter in the ground and took down to 37F with little damage last winter.

• Teegurr
      By Teegurr
      I saw this palm on my walk today. I'm thinking it's a butia? Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate the help!

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I don't even remember now, at which So Cal Palm Society meeting auction I bought this Dypsis.  I do recall it was solitary and probably no more than a 1 gallon when purchased.  I dropped it in a shaded spot under a Burretiokentia hapala, probably anticipating it would be a smaller gauge trunk and continue taking advantage of the Burretiokentia's shade.  It has since produced one new subterranean offset from the main trunk.  Any thoughts on which fine leafed Dypsis this is?  Markings on the trunk should be a clue.