IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ebayer beware/ptps-outlet

Mostapha

s-l1601.thumb.jpg.2ed24c71f26df4a2b4f41358afe23ac6.jpgThese are Bismarkia germinated seeds were(is) listed on ebay by a seller from Lakeland, /florida. His asking price was 19.95 plus 12.70 shipping. When I asked about these seeds he said they were very healthy, when I asked him about the root condition appearing to be cut or broken, the scissors are a nice touch, which Im sure many if not all will agree means certain death. I have germinated many Bismarkia as well as other seeds, but he insisted that I must not know what I am looking at or how to continue germination.  Afterwhich he cancelled my order with him of other plant materials, then sent  me message through ebay that my items had shipped. His ad for the bismarkias has since been removed, but lists only one seller, myself. I contacted ebay and let them know, and being as they are able to read all messages, I asked being as he is one of their top sellers, how many times has this person done this without people contacting ebay? 

If you look closely at the included pic you will be able to notice that yes, the roots have been either broken or cut if not both. There are some great sellers on ebay, just unfortunate we have to put up with a few bad apples as well. Myself if something interterests me I always make contact with the seller to reassure then that (1) I know what I am looking at and am aware of having to go the extra mile if needed, and (2)that they are aware of what they are selling as well. Thanks Mark

So, buyer beware. Maybe these are the 5 germinated seeds I would have received. Including another pic of a box of germinated seeds, again if you look closely you can see that most of these are just as damaged. and to think that I was using 16" stewie pots for these and according to these pics I could have used solo cups.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mostapha

@Mostapha

Did the shipment come with a return address?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

shipment never came, seller doesn't respond to messages, and has removed the bismarkias from site, and no longer ships other plant materials I ordered, now they are pick up only.  ebay told me to write to seller. Seller cancelled my order, said he would cancel bismarkias but cancelled everything. In my notifications the order states shipped with no tracking as of 08/10/2018, though I purchased on 08/01/2019. tried contacting seller to no avail, so I have let him know that I had contacted  ebay as well as was going to let other potential palm growers know to be aware. After all of the aggravation I feel as I should still get my ordered plants.  Ebay also agreed that the actions of this seller are not "kosher". If you look closely at the pictures you will see why I questioned the Bismarkias, wanting to know if that was a sample of how they are sent out, his response was that they are very healthy and must be kept warm(90 and above) they would continue to go on completing germination. The tube root is clearly cut, meaning that no matter how warm or any special care they received they would not survive. I explained that I knew that Bismarkias require going that extra mile to get them to grow, even explaining other difficult palms that I do grow, so patience is not my problem. Thanks for asking, just please be aware. 19.95 plus 12.70 shipping is a lot of money for something that will not survive, even though he offered to ship them with another item.  Being as I have germinated Bismarkias before, I thought this would save me time. I can purchase a great deal more fresh Bismarkia seeds for that price from reputable sellers.  Thanks Mark

P.S. the pictures I posted were the pictures used to sell the seeds not what I had received, as I have received nothing, including no response from the seller. 

Edited by Mostapha

Interesting.  This is obviously not my eBay ID (I use the same name as on here), but there are several nurseries in the area and thought this ID might be one of them.  I did see your complaint on their eBay profile but it only marked it as neutral.  If I happen to find some Bismarckia seed that are available for the "right price" I'll PM you.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thank you, I have a guy in Orlando that I have used before, for both queen palm seeds as well as Bismarks. He told me that he has some right now that are growing in tall pots that he will send me 2 per box for a very reasonable price. We have actually gotten to know each other as much as ebay will allow.  I tried telling him to join here but he hasn't had the chance to do so. I have found that if he says he will send 25 he usually sends as many will fit into the box that he is sending, sometimes as much as twice as many  seeds. I just thought that buying them germinated would save me some time. The queen palm I had ordered because it has already gone palmate and wanted it to replace the one that I have just donated to someplace where it can live and grow for many years to come. This year it would have become to large to come into my house for the winter, it had gotten to be 12-14 ft this would begin to spread onto my ceilings. Not good for the palm, so she is where she can grow and spread to her spender. Obviously to this sellers dismay I am pretty much aware of what I am doing. (not to blow my own horn). much of what I have learned here from the many people willing to share their knowledge and experiences. thanks Mark

HI, Just an update, in case anyone is following this.  Ebay has moved ahead with this case and it has been moved into their investigative dept, for violation of ebay policy. Lucking out I guess, the gentleman on the phone from ebay is from southern California and was well aware of what a Bismarkia Nobils is and after looking at the pictures that the seller had posted, agreed that the roots of the germinated seeds had been broken or cut and said that he was glad that I had contacted the seller to asked those questions, because someone who didn't know may have looked at them and thought that they were in fact a very good deal, only to think that they had done something wrong at their demise.  The violation against e-bay rules was being as I had paid through my debit card through ebay, he attempted tp refund my money through paypal for the other items ordered, which to ebay means that the items are no longer available, but being continued to be offered listed on the ebay site and showing only myself and another as a buyer, that they are still available, even though he has changed his ad to pick up only. I told him that I had written about this ordeal where other palm growers read and contribute, without divulging the name of course, He only said that he was glad that I did that and perhaps it would protect others from falling into the same trappings. Thanks Mark

• 1 year later...