IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Redneck Contraption

Butch

As I said in this post...

I had an ailing palm, with no way to treat... It was too tall (25' or so) for me to reach with a ladder, and I needed to pour some peroxide on the crown... I could just put a bottle on a pole ( I have a 16' window washing pole with attachments), but I could not tip it to pour... So this is what I did... I had every ting I needed, except for the 6" strap hinge, that I got from Home Depot, for $3.97... I still used a 8' ladder to reach and to get the pole in a vertical position, before removing the lid off the bottle of peroxide (that I got from 99 Cents Store, per Dave's suggestion... $.79 per 16 oz bottle)... I used the hand line to hold the bottle in e vertical position until it was over the crown of the palm.. Then with a little shake the bottle tipped over and poured were I needed it to... It worked pretty  good... Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem... Any questions, fire away... But please no giggling :floor: at my redneckness...

fMEK4F3.jpg

$.79

TujOFpk.jpg

xZlAmL7.jpg

cgEDh24.jpg

L1uvPtq.jpg

F59V2PX.jpg

Butch

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, waykoolplantz said:

Did the palm burp and say ‘more’

It did, and I did... Give it more... Two more bottles. ... By then it needed a designated driver :wacko:... I have no idea how much I should have used... Would drenching it do any harm?

Butch

That's what I call a worthy contribution to the forum. Necessity = Inspiration = Invention

Rednecks don't get the credit they deserve

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Creative improvisation has been the salvation of many projects for many people, and not just for those who call themselves "rednecks".

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Love the hinge idea! It's only a redneck thing if you wore a MAGA hat.

I was thinking of mounting the bottle tipped downward on a pole with a cork or foam plug on a pull cord.

But either way it takes dexterity at that height to get the bottle where it needs to go with fronds in the way though the fronds probably act as a guide once you're there.

3 hours ago, HiwaKika said:

I was thinking of mounting the bottle tipped downward on a pole with a cork or foam plug on a pull cord.

But either way it takes dexterity at that height to get the bottle where it needs to go with fronds in the way though the fronds probably act as a guide once you're there.

Not sure redneck = maga , maybe we should stick to palms not politics. 

• Like 3

T J 

7 hours ago, Butch said:

It did, and I did... Give it more... Two more bottles. ... By then it needed a designated driver :wacko:... I have no idea how much I should have used... Would drenching it do any harm?

Butch

No not with being that rotten.  just hope it stays dry now and grows.  I put this on my trachy's almost every year since fungus issues in my zone is a given

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

No not with being that rotten.  just hope it stays dry now and grows.  I put this on my trachy's almost every year since fungus issues in my zone is a given

Should I reapply?  Or let it dry? If I reapply, how often? 

Butch

7 hours ago, HiwaKika said:

Thank you meine Freund, i just booked a trip to Mar-a-lago.

And no, I am not a "redneck"...

gute Nacht

:greenthumb:

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

7 hours ago, Butch said:

Butch

So next contraption is to attach a mirror so you can see the fizzling. As long as it fizzles be dilligent 

T J 

20 hours ago, Butch said:

As I said in this post...

I had an ailing palm, with no way to treat... It was too tall (25' or so) for me to reach with a ladder, and I needed to pour some peroxide on the crown... I could just put a bottle on a pole ( I have a 16' window washing pole with attachments), but I could not tip it to pour... So this is what I did... I had every ting I needed, except for the 6" strap hinge, that I got from Home Depot, for $3.97... I still used a 8' ladder to reach and to get the pole in a vertical position, before removing the lid off the bottle of peroxide (that I got from 99 Cents Store, per Dave's suggestion... $.79 per 16 oz bottle)... I used the hand line to hold the bottle in e vertical position until it was over the crown of the palm.. Then with a little shake the bottle tipped over and poured were I needed it to... It worked pretty  good... Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem... Any questions, fire away... But please no giggling :floor: at my redneckness...

fMEK4F3.jpg

$.79

TujOFpk.jpg

xZlAmL7.jpg

cgEDh24.jpg

L1uvPtq.jpg

F59V2PX.jpg

Butch

I dont think a redneck is this smart :floor:

48 minutes ago, yabazid said:

You would be surprised of Redeneck ingenuity B) 

T J 

2 hours ago, yabazid said:

I don't believe anyone has ever accused me of being smart before.:rolleyes::D...

Butch

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Not sure redneck = maga , maybe we should stick to palms not politics. 

My bad, I shouldn't categorize all rednecks.

You could've taken your own advice and commented on the other part of my post but you had to stick to politics!

Fine.

TULSI 2020 

10 minutes ago, HiwaKika said:

My bad, I shouldn't categorize all rednecks.

You could've taken your own advice and commented on the other part of my post but you had to stick to politics!

Fine.

TULSI 2020 

This is a palm community, politics need not apply. We all are here to learn and grow maybe meet other cool palm enthusiasts. Making a ignorant statement like yours brings nothing to grow this community. 

T J 

No political comment or derogatory context meant... I was just trying for a little self-depreciating humor... Bad choice of words in these political volatile times.... I agree that this forum should be non-political.... Enough of that elsewhere... Lets just call it a "Unsophisticated Contraption".:rolleyes:...

Butch

• Upvote 1

@Butch

I'm agog.

"Yew' may be a redneck if . . . "

"Yew' solve a knotty problem with readily available materials!"

Jeff_Foxworthy.jpg.548e8eb807b60c1a4cab6c4643624d4a.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And, I'd give the palm a ree-peet, or two, or three. Can't hurt.

And, do keep us apprised!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, Butch said:

Butch

Good question.

At least two or three more times. If there's some way to get a look at if the new spear's reappearing, that will help.

As mentioned in another post, you can't really overdo something like that.

Hmm.

Maybe you could help come up with a serviceable way to harvest high seeds.

15 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

Maybe you could help come up with a serviceable way to harvest high seeds.

Dave, I think you should train Zika to harvest seeds for you!  :floor:

Jon Sunder

21 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

If there's some way to get a look at if the new spear's reappearing, that will help.

Maybe a reallllly long selfie stick..:hmm:...

Thanks Dave... Maybe time for another trip to the $.99 Store...

I would like to find a way to harvest the seeds from this plant... They seem to ripen 1-2 at a time... So no, just cutting off the whole bunch, like I do with the queens...

Butch