IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any tips on getting Bismarckia nobilis seeds to germinate?

mas_fuego

Hello all,

I have searched the forum, watched numerous Youtube videos and read all I can read, and yet I am still not sure the best way to germinate seeds from a Bismarckia nobilis.

I have about 50 seeds or so. I would rather not work up 50 post and see which seeds take off. So if I do a container, how moist should it be? Is there another way?

Also, these things are like golf balls. Do I soak them? Do I do something before trying to germinate?

I am in south Florida 10b so I think containers outside will get hot enough but should I put them in a warm closet instead?

I just have never had luck germinating them and would like some success.  Thanks!

Deep pot - 16" or more. It is a remote germinator. No special requirements as far as I remember. Pretty easy if the seeds are viable and fresh.

Remember that this one requires a male and female. I have three females with no males in the vicinity. They produce "fruit like" balls, but they are not viable.

46 minutes ago, oliver said:

Remember that this one requires a male and female. I have three females with no males in the vicinity. They produce "fruit like" balls, but they are not viable.

No way to know about my seeds. I harvested them where there are about 6 trees together so hoping that increased my likelihood that they are viable and not crossbred but you never really know.

52 minutes ago, oliver said:

Deep pot - 16" or more. It is a remote germinator. No special requirements as far as I remember. Pretty easy if the seeds are viable and fresh.

I don't wnat to throw 50 seeds ni a deep pot and I don't want to pot up 50 pots to check if any are good.

I bought a batch myself and none germinated. (Almost all of them floated anyway.) It was suggested that some palms float anyway - so I planted them - and then nothing happened. Discarded them - a few months later, I found 3 seedlings growing together. 

I understand not wanting 50 seeds / pots - but that's kind of the name of the game - either you want to have some success, or none. 

Even with seeds that WILL germinate - not all will survive - such is nature. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

@mas_fuego, Bismarckia need very deep pots (14+") and it would be wise to meet their needs. Don't go super cheap or lazy. Some people cut lengths of pvc 4" diameter pipe to use as pots. Bizzies are also extremely root sensitive and can die if their roots are disturbed. So I suggest that you pot each seed separately. If you germinate them in compots you risk killing them when you try to repot them later. Don't take chances if you value your seeds or you risk losing most or all of them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

15 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

@mas_fuego, Bismarckia need very deep pots (14+") and it would be wise to meet their needs. Don't go super cheap or lazy. Some people cut lengths of pvc 4" diameter pipe to use as pots. Bizzies are also extremely root sensitive and can die if their roots are disturbed. So I suggest that you pot each seed separately. If you germinate them in compots you risk killing them when you try to repot them later. Don't take chances if you value your seeds or you risk losing most or all of them.

54 minutes ago, santoury said:

I bought a batch myself and none germinated. (Almost all of them floated anyway.) It was suggested that some palms float anyway - so I planted them - and then nothing happened. Discarded them - a few months later, I found 3 seedlings growing together. 

I understand not wanting 50 seeds / pots - but that's kind of the name of the game - either you want to have some success, or none. 

Even with seeds that WILL germinate - not all will survive - such is nature. 

Good luck! 

But what is the best way to germinate them. I understand that once they germinate they need a deep pot. What do people do to the seeds before sticking them in the ground? What are the best conditions? What is the best soil? That is my real question.

Medium: A standard planting mix should be fine.  Just make sure it is fast draining.  Most folks on here amend potting soil with something (sand, perlite, rocks, etc.) to improve the drainage.

Before planting: For most seeds, cleaning the fruit off and soaking in water are standard operating procedure. 

Best conditions:  You should see solid results anywhere at or above 90F.  They do like it hotI've seen growers have luck with this species by planting it half way into the soil similar to how folks grow coconuts. 

Here is a link where some professional growers share some tips: Bismarckia nobilis germination

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

What @kinzyjr said. Place the pots out in the sun and rain then let Nature have its way. If you had started them 4-5 months ago, they might have all germinated by now. But you still have 2-3 months before the weather cools & dries. This palm truly loves high heat and sun.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Man no matter who I’ve bought Bismarck’s from. Soak In water. Put in some damp coco coir or whatever you have in a baggy. Put on heat around say 92-95 degrees and I always get them to pop within two weeks never had any issues some weren’t even that fresh 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Man no matter who I’ve bought Bismarck’s from. Soak In water. Put in some damp coco coir or whatever you have in a baggy. Put on heat around say 92-95 degrees and I always get them to pop within two weeks never had any issues some weren’t even that fresh 

Do you check them like every day to plant as soon as they pop?

I think that checking every week would do.

i recall a post on here where a bloke in northern Australia I think, was using glyphosate to try to get rid of all of the Bizzy seedlings that were coming up all around his trees.

So if you asked him who had great success sprouting them, he would tell you to throw them on the ground and forget them, so it can't be that hard if you get good seed and heat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Hello,

I did the same as Rickybobby, soaked in water and then into a baggie placed in a warm

spot - that's it. Daily check is not necessary but when popped open they should be put 

into a deep pot quickly.

Good luck!

Lars

• Upvote 1

Hi, I have myself germinated several Bismarkia seeds here in upstate N.Y.  I usually have soaked them first in a peroxide/water mix then placed them in damp Spagnum and sand in a covered container on a heat mat that stays approx. 90 degrees. Some  germinate quicker than others, like any other seed. Then I plant them in deep stewie pots. Just remain patient and you will be rewarded with a beautiful palm.

There is person on "E+++" that was selling bismarkias germinated at 5 for 19.95 plus 12.70 shipping. I asked about how he ships them and was told bareroot. Looking at the pictures he had listed it appears the tube root had been cut, when I asked about his cutting the root as it is detrimental to the palm, he insinuated that I must not have any knowledge of these palms. I assured him that I grow many palms at my home, afterwhich he removed his ad.  So, anyone looking at that site please be aware of the person from Lakeland, Florida. I will try to see if I can post one of the pics of these bismarkias that he advertised. I hope it doesn't violate any rule here, but to me these roots appear to be cut. which is why I questioned. Please do not purchase from this person. Thanks Mark

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

they germinate on the ground in my yard.  they can't be that difficult.   The recent 18 consecutive days of rain in august seems to have killed off some off them.

bizziegerminate.jpg

• Like 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

On 8/18/2019 at 10:51 AM, sonoranfans said:

they germinate on the ground in my yard.  they can't be that difficult.   The recent 18 consecutive days of rain in august seems to have killed off some off them.

The challenge is getting the seeds you want to germinate where you want them to germinate.

And that looks like a whole bunch of seeds for a few to germinate.

That is probably the last 2-3 years of seed that fell under my Biz and I raked up, it was all in the grass.  Most germinated seed die if not planted after germination, but a few will tap down in the soil without any help and grow.  I remove most of them, especially the live ones periodically to prevent the necessity of ripping out palms that have sinker roots.  these seedlings tap down and once they get in the soil they are hard to kill.   Ive mowed them, chopped at them and still most come back.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Heat and humidity is the trick for Bismarckia. Floaters generally are sterile, dried out, or gone mouldy and generally wont germinate. The other thing Ive found is although they need male and female to properly fertilise seed, a female can throw some fertile seed without any male present. I tried this experiment with my sisters Bismarck. Theres no flowering male for about 10km and yet some seed germinated from her female. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I just left mine in the ziplock bag DUNDEE shipped, kept them damp and in a warm place (un-air conditioned closet with a computer in it) and the vast majority germinated.  As long as you check every few days you’ll catch them before the first root is long enough to be an issue.  I moved them into Stuewe tree pots as soon as I saw the root.  It took weeks+ between the root starting and getting the first leaf.

10 minutes ago, CTho said:

I just left mine in the ziplock bag DUNDEE shipped, kept them damp and in a warm place (un-air conditioned closet with a computer in it) and the vast majority germinated.  As long as you check every few days you’ll catch them before the first root is long enough to be an issue.  I moved them into Stuewe tree pots as soon as I saw the root.  It took weeks+ between the root starting and getting the first leaf.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Heat and humidity is the trick for Bismarckia. Floaters generally are sterile, dried out, or gone mouldy and generally wont germinate. The other thing Ive found is although they need male and female to properly fertilise seed, a female can throw some fertile seed without any male present. I tried this experiment with my sisters Bismarck. Theres no flowering male for about 10km and yet some seed germinated from her female. 

A good 2 /3 of my seeds are floaters. Think they were on the ground too long. I will take what I have left and see what I can do. Gonna keep my eye out for more seeds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 6:54 AM, Tyrone said:

Tyrone:  If a female tree produced viable seed on its own, how did they get pollinated? Only the male produces the pollen.

The one key I have found for germinating Bizzy's is patience. They can take up to a year to germinate. Standard methods work well but time is the key.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

16 hours ago, howfam said:

Tyrone:  If a female tree produced viable seed on its own, how did they get pollinated? Only the male produces the pollen.

Exactly. I don’t know. I had a Trachycarpus do the same. I think some female trees and plants can do it themselves in the absence of a male. I know Bunya pines can do it. Only a small percentage of seeds are viable though.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 year later...

I have about 100 red lantania palm seeds that are golf ball size , olive green in color, can I plant them as is on their side half exposed in 17 inch deep stewie pots. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2019 at 9:08 AM, Tyrone said:

Exactly. I don’t know. I had a Trachycarpus do the same. I think some female trees and plants can do it themselves in the absence of a male. I know Bunya pines can do it. Only a small percentage of seeds are viable though.

Bunyas make male and female parts as a regularity