IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is my Washingtonia dying?

SRJbb99

I purchased this a year ago from a field dug source from south Texas as a W. filifera (it’s prob a filibusta) I’m in the Dallas area (8b).  We had the wettest August on record when I planted it then normal rain since.  It receives twice weekly waterings that are very minimal (10 minutes from a rotary sprinkler at a distance) and hasn’t had much rain.  I’ll hand water occasionally for only a few minutes.  Over the last two months all of the old started dying, and then some of the new.  It’s pushed several Spears since planting, but it seems the growth has stopped.  Even the new growth fails to open and one today is bent over.  Spears are tight (all 3).

Any thoughts?  Is it wilt?  Too little water?  Too much water?  Is it a goner?

BF238BED-9C46-4649-90B6-B1C276BCCBFE.jpeg

9A16B0C8-2DE9-4598-B126-F43A8FF5A21C.jpeg

Edited by SRJbb99

Definitely not a goner but you definitely need to get what looks like possible fungus of some sort. Hydrogen peroxide in the crown is a start. These palms are bullet proof here and our seen growing in the most neglected areas of town. 

T J 

Any thoughts on my watering habits?  A year in the ground from field dug and not much rain.  Leave it?  Hand water?  Sprinklers enough?  

If the leaves were drying out at the tips then you were under watering them since were down to 1 leaf very hard to determine. During the growing season these palms love water. Honestly these palms do very well with neglect. Can we get a pick of the bottom of the trunk (how its palnted) hows your soil there ? 

T J 

It’s not letting me upload the soil pic due to size limitations but it’s just grass around the base.  Clay soil for the most part.

Yeah it looks like it could use water afterall of course after a year in the ground i wouldnt think watering was the issue since your grass is green haha. Here in our gumbo clay soil i have learned to plant my palms a lil higher then usual. Cause of wet feet issues from our wet winter season. These literally grow like weeds out here tho. Sorry i cant give a positive diagnosis on cause =/ 

T J 

Looking from your last pick is all your palms not looking great ? I do see some over pruning. I try not to cut off old fronds till there atleast horizontal or lower and if there still really green even later. How was the soil ammended when planted? Type of soil used and such ? 

T J 

The other palms are field dug Texas sabals planted at the same time that had all the fronds cut off for root regeneration.  

No soil amendments. 

Gotcha then those look like there pulling thru fine then. The collapse fronds are the big concern. What kinda fertilization have you done ? 

T J 

I put Carl’s palm food on it in spring.  Nothing else.

cant figure out why it’s not growing since these typically grow like weeds, and why the fronds didn’t open all the way. 

10 hours ago, SRJbb99 said:

I put Carl’s palm food on it in spring.  Nothing else.

cant figure out why it’s not growing since these typically grow like weeds, and why the fronds didn’t open all the way. 

Im kinda puzzled too i also use the same fertilizer 

T J 

I don't have any experience with Washingtonia, but if the tips on any of my palms looked like that I'd be concerned with either under- or over-watering.  Over-watering can cause fronds to droop and leaflets to turn yellow & lose color.  Under-watering tends to cause brown tips followed by yellowing of the whole leaf.  Over-watering can cause root rot, especially if it's planted in a "bowl" of sandy soil with a whole lot of hard clay around it.  Then the roots don't pick up water, and it looks like you need to give it more water...even though it's actually drowning in water and rot.

Regarding Fusarium, I can't tell if it has the characteristic "one sided death" of fronds.  See photos here:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp278

Edited by Merlyn2220

Based on the watering habits above, and considering the two Texas sabals planted at the same time next to it are fine with the same amount of water - maybe it’s not underwatering?  But then again I wouldn’t think overwatering either.

It could’ve gotten root rot when it rained every day when it was planted for over a month a year ago with record rains?  If it’s pure filifera could that be the case?  

Im at a loss and really don’t want to lose it.

For reference - I watered it heavily yesterday and now today it has another wilted frond.  Could just be a coincidence but I don't know.  

I suppose it could be record rains causing root rot.  Here in FL the Washingtonia Robusta are fine, but Filifera die quickly from the huge amount of rain and high humidity.  Butia will die from overwatering too.  A couple of items:

• Hopefully you are not watering the crown of the palm.  That can easily cause crown rot and quick death.  Overhead sprinkling is a big no-no.
  • Have you checked your soil?  For indoor palms the "finger test" works well, basically the top 1-2" should be dry before you think about adding more water.  Dig a little hole a foot from the trunk and see if the soil is wet/dry/mucky.  If it's really wet and mucky then root rot is a good guess.

Here's a reference for watering:  https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1376

It looks to me like not enough water to the roots  There could be ample water at the surface (to keep grass green), but not enough getting down to the root ball where the root stubs are.  If you have gumbo clay- it can be hard as a rock when it dries out and not easily absorbing water down to the roots- I’ve experienced that.  

I’ll try to water more for a few days.  It’s just strange that all of the others I have getting the same amount of water planted at the same time (or later) aren’t having any issues at all.  

• 2 weeks later...

All of the knowledge here, does anyone have any other ideas?

The Palm is dying.  In June it had 7-10 green fronds and they’ve died off one at a time and now its hitting one of the 3 Spears and will continue.  I’ve watered more, watered less, used daconil, hydrogen peroxide, etc. 

How can I save it?

39D5711C-0FDB-48F6-925B-918AF534F9B2.jpeg

6 minutes ago, SRJbb99 said:

It’s not.  No growth 

Palms are either growing or dead.  Looks like it's dead I'm afraid.   You could try chainsawing off the last foot of trunk to expose a cross section. Growth will be evident overnight and you will be left wondering no more!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1