IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Cocos nucifera" Subforum?

palmsOrl

Another forum member, Kinzyjr (Jeremy) and I were discussing our favorite palm-related topic, coconuts of course and it came up just how much interest there is in Cocos nucifera on Palmtalk.  In-fact, there is a disproportionately high level of interest on the forums in Cocos nucifera, versus any other palm species or even genus of palms.  I noticed for example, that on the first page of the main forum right now that 4 of 24, or 1/6 of the threads are coconut specific.   Due to the unique presence of Cocos within the palm family (and its importance and ubiquity worldwide in the tropics) versus other genera, its beauty and its status as a symbol for paradise, leisure, vacation and the tropics, Cocos nucifera is the subject of frequent discussions on Palmtalk.   Jeremy and I agree that there is more than enough forum content for Cocos discussions to get their own dedicated space.  As a result, Jeremy and I decided to propose a "Cocos nucifera" Palmtalk subforum.  To initiate the discussion, Jeremy drafted a proposal detailing the merits and a few potential downsides to doing so as follows:

Coconut Palm Subforum Proposal

Reasons to do it:

1) There are currently 580 threads containing “Coconut” in the title.  Separating these threads into their own forum will create a new subforum with 24 pages.   This is immediately larger than the forums for:

a. Palms in Pots

b. Our Community of Palm People

c. Palmas Y Palmeras En Espanol

d. IPS Biennials

e. Freeze Damage Data

f. Affilate News and Meeting Dates

g. PALM EXCHANGE - PLANTS, SEEDS, & "PALMY" ITEMS FOR SALE / SWAP (For Trade, Freebies, Palm Grower/Buyer Ratings sections)

h. OHANA NUI (Birthdays section)

i. Memorials

j. Administration

k. Forum Basics for Beginners

2) The genus Cocos is currently monotypic and garners an inordinate amount of interest.  The scope of the forum will be very narrow as a result and allow for easier and faster searching.

3) Some forum members dread seeing another Coconut thread given the number that already exist.  Placing the threads specifically dedicated to this genus removes the need to peruse through more coconut threads that will invariably be posted.

Potential reasons not to:

1) Slippery Slope: How many other genus/species will get their own forum?

My response to this first point; As alluded to above, Cocos nucifera and all of its related topics garners far more interest on the forums than any other individual palm species or even genus of palms, enough so, that by the numbers, topics related specifically to Cocos nucifera should be given dedicated space within the Palmtalk forums.  Additionally, even if the creation of the "Cocos nucifera" subforum does prompt requests for other species/genera to get their own subforums, this could be beneficial.  Subforums for such genera as Phoenix, Sabal and Washingtonia, for example, would allow palm collectors to skip the plethora of threads on these commonly grown genera.  But even if only one exception is allowed, surely it should be made for Cocos nucifera, for the reasons mentioned above.

2) You can just use the search feature now.

3) What if a thread doesn’t have "coconut" in the title but devolves into a coconut thread?

My response to this third point; I don't think the thread title needs to contain the word "coconut(s)", "Cocos" or "nucifera" for it to be included in the Cocos subforum.  Rather, the topic should be focused mainly (or solely) on a topic related to Cocos.  If it is a thread's topic is about multiple species/topics, one of which is Cocos, then it should stay in the main forum.  If the thread "devolves" into a coconut discussion, it should probably be left in the main forum since the original topic is not coconut-related (or at least about multiple species/topics). 

In conclusion, there is clearly more than enough interest from Palmtalk members for a "Cocos nucifera" specific subforum and with the new subforum, those not interested in Cocos would not even see the threads.  All Palmtalk members, please share your reactions, thoughts and criticisms regarding the creation of the "Cocos nucifera" Palmtalk subforum.  Thank you.

Regards,

Michael

Edited by palmsOrl
  • Like 2

It will be interesting to see the feedback from this proposal.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I first found this forum through a link on the Palm Beach Palm and Cycad society website. The primary focus of my research that lead me here was Cocos nucifera and where they could be grown outdoor in ground without winter protection. When I started searching here I found the Newport and Corona threads and followed them as a lurker while also exploring around this forum and the IPS website. Eventually, I signed up as a forum member. Recently I became a IPS member. I started a thread on Coconut experiments so I'm one of those who started threads with Coconut in the title. So all of my involvement here started because of Coconuts, and now I have threads with other palms in the titles. The IPS is looking for ways to increase membership and IPS notoriety, I'd suggest, drain the coconut for every drop!

I hadn't considered it but I think a Cocos sub forum might be a good idea.

In "reasons not to" #3 above. I think if a thread devolved into a Cocos discussion someone would suggest starting a new thread in the Cocos sub forum if there was one.

Thank you both for discussing, researching, writing, revising, and posting your suggestion. Whether a sub forum is created or not your actions show your interest and willingness to spend time on something you feel might benefit the forum (and therefore the IPS).

• Like 2

NOT A TA, I am so glad you found this site and find your contributions interesting and helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for sharing your feelings on creating this new subforum.  Jeremy and I agree that this would benefit Palmtalk and the IPS.

I feel like you presented a well thought out argument, with good pro's and con's. I'd be happy to see a coconut sub-forum :greenthumb:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Three years ago I happened upon Palmtalk because I was looking for information about Cocos nucifera since my very first one at the time was in transit.

Thanks to all the contributing palmtalkers regarding the subject, I now have 4 coconuts in ground and waiting on another to arrive (today actually).

I would love to see a Cocos nucifera subforum.

The proposed subforum from Michael and Jeremy would be of great importance and value.

I'm all for it!

20190811_150538.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Alex, your experience growing coconut palms in such a challenging climate has been fascinating to follow.  I am looking forward to seeing your new red Tahiti dwarf sprout and start growing.  Thank you for your post of support.

• Like 1

I definitely think a coco sub forum is warranted for all the mentioned reasons above. I do believe alot of people have happened upon PT because of coco nucifera either cause of the beauty of the palm , others zone pushing them or pics of the palms in there natural habitat. The pros definitely out weigh the cons :interesting:

• Upvote 1

T J 

Its an interesting idea, but I think I'm slightly opposed to it simply from a webdesign perspective.

1. Members who just want to see the latest threads will have one more place they need to check. You actually slow down content discovery this way. For me, 90% of the time I just look at the general discussion forum so I'd be checking two places now. Sure its one extra click, but over time that's a lot of extra clicks.
  2. The main discussion thread isn't all that active as it is. I see the last thread on page 1 is ~36 hours old. If the average user checks the forum once every 36hrs they can see everything created at one place. If this forum were more active it would be easier for threads to get buried and perhaps justify segregating content more, but that's not really the case right now. 

If anything, condensing the forums would probably be an improvement. If it were up to me I'd probably draw up the forums like this:

• DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE 
     - AFFILIATE NEWS AND  MEETING DATES (subforum)
  • TROPICAL LOOKING PLANTS - Other Than Palms
  • WEATHER / CLIMATE
  • FREEZE DAMAGE DATA
  • PALM EXCHANGE - PLANTS, SEEDS, & "PALMY" ITEMS FOR SALE / SWAP
  • OHANA NUI  -  OFF TOPIC SUB-FORUM
  • ADMINISTRATION
Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

RedRabbit, thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I see what you are saying.  It does seem like the main forum is lagging a tad but my guess is that it is a result of several factors due to the time of year.

• Like 1

I'm on forums for widely varying topics. All of them have been gradually loosing traffic, some have closed and I haven't seen any new forums starting. As the use of the internet has provided people more and more ways to spend their time on it, some things (like forums) don't get the "traffic" they did when there were less options. Niche forums have been hurt the most the past couple years and so I'd expect this forum to see a similar trend.

• Like 2

I tend to discourage starting new forums in order to avoid fragmenting into separate "cliques." And I have considered condensing or combining some forums - reasons given below.

If we had started a new forum every time it was suggested over the last 15 years, we would have 20 more forums - with small groups just visiting their own area of interest. If you have ever visited a forum with 30+ forums, each with a few sub-forums, you would know how confusing (and limiting) that can be.

Perhaps it is because of my duties here, but I tend to treat this site as one big forum. Each time I log in I check "Unread Content." So I end up reading (or at least become aware of) all recently added content, much that I don't have interest in, like indoor palms, cold hardy palms, weather, and even off-topic posts. I often come across fun or informative posts that I probably would have missed if I just checked the forums of interest to me.

If a forum about Coconuts is warranted, why not one devoted to Dypsis, or New Caledonia Palms, or Palms for Small Gardens,  or Hybrid Palms - and I could go on and on.

And there is the additional issue with overlapping categories and keeping things in their "designated" areas. Where would a topic on looking for or growing Cold tolerant Coconuts go or be moved to? Or indoor/pot culture of Coconuts? Or diseases or IDs of Coconuts? Should they be in their own Coconut forum, or in Cold Hardy Palms, Palms in Pots, or Discussing Palms respectively?

Of course we always appreciate and are open to suggestions, and we have added forums when there is a compelling argument and/or ground swell of interest. So additional comments are welcome. 

I might add that there are many tools available to follow (and be notified of) your own targeted interests or members - check your profile for all the options. For example, if someone has an interest, knowledge, and constantly posting about Coconuts - and you don't want to miss any of his/her posts - you can "follow" them and never miss one of their posts again. Same with any particular topic you may have interest in. That way you would be notified whenever something is added to (or bumped) that interest you, even after many months.

But I always encourage people to use the "Unread Content" way of reading the forum - you never know what you may learn, who you may meet, or what new interests you may discover in forums you may never normally check. 

• Like 6

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dean, I appreciate you taking the time to consider the idea and explain your position.  You bring up some excellent points.

Thank you for the tips regarding keeping track of content.

Social media/youtube has certainly impacted forums in general in recent years. I personally don't do social media, nor have much of any interest in it. I stick with what I have known for 30+ years since back in the days of BBS's (Mustang Wildcat anyone). I don't have to be concerned with forum software selling my personal information to whomever, it's a relatively safe nook in the wild world of the internet. It's good to have Palmtalk here and the knowledge that is shared by everyone is fantastic.  The format is just about perfect. Perhaps a little heavy on sub forums IMO but nothing overwhelming that can be found in other forums. I admit, I spend most of my time in the Cold Hardy subforum. Reality dictates that is where I can gain the most direct hands on information in regards to the marginal palm climate I'm in. I do venture into the general forum as there is still lots of "general" palm information that still pertains to me. For example - Growing medium, fertilizers, potential pests, palm ailments and remedies, and just general palm knowledge that the majority of the folks on the forum are willing to share.

The cold hardy forum tends to lump a lot of the butia/jubaea/hybrid information in one place. Sure they're other hybrids but most are out of reach for the Sub 9a crowd. Palms in Pots encompasses just about any palm out there from Coconuts on down to Wedd's.  As with the cold hardy forum, it's narrow but still broad in spectrum in regards to species. Specie specific forums would IMO, as touched upon above make "one click" shopping more common, and perhaps stifle other knowledge being shared. For example" @GottmitAlex is quite focused on cocos nucifera , however I have still learned a great deal from his pots just from a zone pushing perspective. Although I have no interest in growing cocos, I enjoy reading his methods of keeping them warm during cold spells. Techniques that I probably wold of missed if he has been posting in a Cocos sub forum. 

Just my .02 cents.

• Like 2