• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• WestCoastGal
      By WestCoastGal
      Hope you don't mind the double forum post. I originally posted a link to this Vimeo film on biochar under the Ohana section's Leilani thread because one of the main people in the film, Josiah Hunt, is from Puna, Hawaii. Josiah did a number of videos during the eruption on the BI. But upon watching it felt it would be beneficial to others here who might not visit that section of the forum. The film is available to watch for free through 10/12 at the link below. It will be shown Tuesday, June 23, at Stanford University if you're in the area and want to talk to Josiah after the film presentation (tickets being sold). The film is titled "Dirt Rich: Power Beneath Our Feet". The film will also be available for purchase. The film takes you from Hawaii to Sonoma, California where the production and practice of using biochar was being implemented even in drought stricken rice fields in California.

Link to limited time free viewing: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/10/06/carbon-sequestration-biochar-for-soil-health.aspx

• beliz1985
      By beliz1985
      Hi,
      There are not that many potting soils to choose from in this city, even store bought very well draining soil for succulents and cactus seems to cause some problems.
      The soil I buy contains pine bark chips, some coco fiber and peat moss. I add perlite to that mix. It seems the water drains quite fast but the main concern is that the mix absorbs a lot of water which is squeezable. I've just recently repotted Arch. Alexandrea I had bought 2weeks ago and 2 of its leaves lost the green, withered with pale green. Could it be due to the soil or something else?
      What would be your best well draining potting soil mix?
      Stuff I could get here: vermiculite, perlite, lava rock, rock, pine mulch and I guess that's it lol
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      What do you think is the best universal palm fertilizer? I have two Pindo Palms, 1 Mediterranean Fan Palm, one Needle Palm, one Windmill Palm, and soon some Sabal minor. Does anyone know of a palm fertilizer that will affect each one of these palms in a positive way? At the time I can not afford separate fertilizers for each palm species. Thank you for any help! If I can order it, can you please include the link to it as well? 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Does anyone know of a good draining soil for all palms? Please tell me the name of it, if you can! Thank you!
    • Moose
      By Moose
      Surprisingly there are an array of soils found around the state as referenced by this figure.

I’ve heard that Florida’s soils are pretty much all sand. Is that true? If so, how can sand be soil?
      Fig. 1. The soils of Florida
      A: Many folks have the impression that Florida and its soils are nothing but sand. This is only partially true. Florida actually has a rich range of soils. Each color in Fig. 1 represents a unique soil type in the state.
      True, many of Florida’s soils are dominated by sand. These sandy soils are represented by the blues, greens, and purples seen in the Florida peninsula in Fig. 1. More specifically, these soils are dominated by the mineral, quartz, which gives Florida its white sand beaches.
      But not all of Florida soils are dominated by sand. The Everglades area in south Florida (Fig. 2), which covers approximately 734 square miles, is dominated by organic soils. These soils are depicted by the maroon color at the southern end of the Florida peninsula in Fig. 1.
      And the orange color in the panhandle of Florida indicates soils that have a considerable amount of sand at the surface but also contain a significant amount of clay. Here you will find the red clays commonly associated with Georgia.
      Fig. 2. The Florida Everglades are dominated by organic soils. Photo: Kim Seng, flickr.com
      Now for the second part of the question: How can sand be a soil? Well, all soils are made up of mineral materials (sand, silt, and clay), organic material (decomposing plant parts), water, and air. In other words, while sand is an important component of soils, it is not the only component that makes a soil.
      The white sand you see on Florida beaches is material that was laid down by the ocean over millennia and it’s the canvas upon which Florida soils have been painted. Another question could be: Where did all that sand come from? As the mountains of the southeastern U.S. weathered, rivers carried the minerals (sand, silt, and clay) to the ocean. Ocean currents then deposited these materials under water, where the ocean worked and reworked them.
      Eventually, the water of the earth was tied up in snow and ice and sea levels lowered, allowing Florida to become dry land. That is why you can often find shark’s teeth in many Florida surface deposits.
      –Answered by Nick Comerford, University of Florida