Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Light Sabal Palmetto Seed

PalmTreeDude

I collected some Sabal palmetto seeds from Virginia Beach off of an older palmetto there in July, I just now removed the dry fruits from some of the seeds, and they look kind of light. Could this just be because they were still in the fruit? They all sank in water. I am just used to the seeds being a bit darker. 

20190814_193434.jpg

20190814_193326.jpg

kinzyjr

I've seen them both ways; really dark and really light.  It didn't seem to matter when it came germination time.

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude
5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I've seen them both ways; really dark and really light.  It didn't seem to matter when it came germination time.

Glad to hear that, I was worried that I might have gotten premature seed or something. Thank you! 

TexasColdHardyPalms

Premature seed will be lighter in color.

PalmTreeDude
14 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Premature seed will be lighter in color.

Good to hear. I have mine in a bag of moist orchid moss right now, hopefully they pop. I am actually trying out different levels of moisture, this time the moss was soaked and then I squeezed all of the water out of it multiple times. Hopefully it is moist enough. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I remeber hearing someone say in a video that Immokalee does not have a good climate for more tender palms, I looked around on Google Maps on Streetview and saw these coconuts. Some look fine while others look horrible. I am kind of confused about this towns climate. Does it get a freeze every few years from being so far inland? What type of stuff would be the limit of what would survive there long term? 

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I was exploring Southport, NC on google maps when I came across this large sabal palmetto growing among a few smaller ones beside the Southport Baptist Church.  It is certainly one of the larger specimens in the area.

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Well with frosts and freezes finally in the forecast, it’s time to mulch and wrap these palms up. But before I do, a little update on their growth this year. 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I have this artificial light that I bought for pepper plants (which basically didn't respond to it at all), but my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana seedling seems to like it. It has been growing quickly with it, for being indoors. It gives off a small amount of heat too, not much, maybe one or two degrees F, but I believe it helps a bit. I marked the spear with a Sharpe a couple days ago and it has been growing steadily. 

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      I planted a couple of hundred Sabal Mexicanas about 2 years ago. All look like the one on the right, the one on the left is the exception. I've never seen Sabal that small grow above the soil.
      Has anyone seen this before?