IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS membership badge

zoli

Hi guys!

So yesterday I decided to become a full-blown IPS member.  I purchased a membership and according to the site, I am now a member. Woohoo! :D

However, my PalmTalk profile did not "auto upgrade" me from plain ol' Forum Member to IPS Member. Will that automatically change with time or is there something I need to do myself, like write someone specific a message?

Thanks for your guidance!

Zoli

6 minutes ago, zoli said:

Hi guys!

So yesterday I decided to become a full-blown IPS member.  I purchased a membership and according to the site, I am now a member. Woohoo! :D

However, my PalmTalk profile did not "auto upgrade" me from plain ol' Forum Member to IPS Member. Will that automatically change with time or is there something I need to do myself, like write someone specific a message?

Zoli

Just notify @PALM MOD and he'll take care of you.  Thank you for joining!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Zoli, don't forget..... You gotta learn the secret handshake!

That's after initiation....

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

5 hours ago, zoli said:

Hi guys!

Zoli

Thanks for joining and Welcome! The PalmTalk database and software are completely separate from the new websites. So like was suggested, you must contact the admin to get the badge.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks, Len! It looks like I just got it worked out with the admin. 

For what it's worth, I can see this type of question come up again in the future. Might be worth stashing it in a FAQ for newbies or something. Just an idea.

@NOT A TA I just hope it doesn't involve getting attacked by a guy throwing coconuts.

• Like 1

Zoli, did you find out about the IPS through PalmTalk? If not, where? Thanks.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, I found out about it through various internet venues while researching palms. However, it was only after joining PalmTalk that I started to appreciate its potential value, which led me to join.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LJG said:

Zoli, did you find out about the IPS through PalmTalk? If not, where? Thanks.

I'll chime in here as I'm a new member also. I stumbled in here through a link on the Palm Beach Palm and Cycad society website while researching various palms & Cycads. I did read in a thread in the Forum basics for beginners section that in order to have the IPS membership "privileges" implemented we needed to contact the Palm Mod, so I did that shortly after joining. 

Okay, so there is a thread like I suggested. I must've missed it. I guess I didn't think to look for a beginner's guide since I have been a forum member for close to a year now.

Thanks for the feedback on where you guys found out about IPS. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

18 hours ago, zoli said:

@NOT A TA I just hope it doesn't involve getting attacked by a guy throwing coconuts.

No Coconut throwing when I signed up but man, my feet still hurt from the walking on hot coals part.

2 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

No Coconut throwing when I signed up but man, my feet still hurt from the walking on hot coals part.

I think we're running a special right now for new pledges... they no longer have to do the pizza and the broomstick part...

Lakeland, FL

22 hours ago, zoli said:

Okay, so there is a thread like I suggested. I must've missed it. I guess I didn't think to look for a beginner's guide since I have been a forum member for close to a year now.

I did the same! :blush:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: