IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Possible Phoenix roebelliini hybrid

Rickybobby

Ok everyone I have two 7 gallon roebellinis 

first is a clump of 4 I got last year. Look at the old growth and the crown and the fronds overall height

pic two is a so called roebellini but the crown and dead cuts are still very green the fronds stretching (maybe shade grown? But there’s a yellow line that runs on the sides of the petiole which the first one doesn’t have. Also I cut the spikes off these when I can since there on my patio. The first with the cuts stays green. The second turns yellow  

911DC7B3-434B-4B8E-AAA1-FF0A88EC96EB.jpeg

• Like 1

Agree with Giuseppe. In this context I would like to shed some light on the sexual dimorphism of this sp. Botanists are already aware of this fact according to testimony of Alex Nessanelis. Female specimens are more robust with  longer fronds.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Agree with Giuseppe. In this context I would like to shed some light on the sexual dimorphism of this sp. Botanists are already aware of this fact according to testimony of Alex Nessanelis. Female specimens are more robust with  longer fronds.

Interesting and thank you 

Yes roebelenii clustering form.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

19 hours ago, gilles06 said:

Yes roebelenii clustering form.

It may be clumping form or just several single stem roebelenii planted per pot. Most of the commercially available ones are just that, several palms plated together. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

The first picture make me say that is the clustering form...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Great info here, I appreciate these posts. I did not know that there was a clustering and non-clustering form.

I also did not realize these palms were dimorphic. I planted several in the landscape, and I now wonder which is which? I also find myself trying to guess while we take our walks in the neighborhood, as they are quite ubiquitous in my area.

• Upvote 1

Very interesting, hard to tell for sure, but those look to be over 12FT (3.6 Meters) which is the usual limit on height.

1 hour ago, Hombre de Palmas said:

Great info here, I appreciate these posts. I did not know that there was a clustering and non-clustering form.

I also did not realize these palms were dimorphic. I planted several in the landscape, and I now wonder which is which? I also find myself trying to guess while we take our walks in the neighborhood, as they are quite ubiquitous in my area.

I wish I lived in such a palmy neighborhood...

Edited by Phoenikakias

Pal Meir, I wonder if many of the ones in Central and South Florida will get that type of height to them once they get really old (say 75 plus years).  Those are really attractive.