IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Veitchia Arecina or Soledad

HiwaKika

Daylight temps here in SoCal in upper 90s plus. Veitchia fronds generally grow slow but have been picking up the pace lately.

Typically a frond will fully extend like a pole before the green blades unfurl. 

I have one frond that extended halfway with the blades unfurling, some fully open, others trapped by the unextended stem. The blades are green and healthy.

What is happening? Why did the frond extend halfway and stop? There has been no active growth for days ...

Without a picture, it's a bit difficult to diagnose.  But if the leaflets look nice & green I wouldn't stress too much. Mark the spear where it emerges & that will tell you if it's moving. How big is the plant? For what it's worth, Veitchia "Soledad" is actually arecina. Just a trade name for palms sold by the Rancho Soledad nurseries.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

11 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Without a picture, it's a bit difficult to diagnose.  But if the leaflets look nice & green I wouldn't stress too much. Mark the spear where it emerges & that will tell you if it's moving. How big is the plant? For what it's worth, Veitchia "Soledad" is actually arecina. Just a trade name for palms sold by the Rancho Soledad nurseries.

The trunk is a little over 6’ at first frond, approx 12’ overall.

Yeah I know that. Before boring everyone with a new thread I tried a search using Arecina and Soledad and got no results.

I reckon the palm isn’t very popular here so I put both words in the topic to hopefully double my chance of getting a response. 

Also my cibotium happens to be doing the same thing; a perfectly healthy looking frond in a holding pattern after opening 70% or so.

Both were bought at Rancho Soledad.

I’d just like to know what causes a plant’s rhythm to suddenly stop when conditions are consistent.  

Keep us posted. For what it’s worth, Veitchias are a favorite of mine to grow. They’ll never reach the splendor of those grown in the tropics, but I’ll take them nonetheless.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

On 8/13/2019 at 10:41 PM, quaman58 said:

Keep us posted. For what it’s worth, Veitchias are a favorite of mine to grow. They’ll never reach the splendor of those grown in the tropics, but I’ll take them nonetheless.

Still no activity (“/)

I like these very much also ... the size and shape of the fronds and the way they gracefully float in the breeze. Reminds me of the song The Girl From Ipanema. 

Or that George Harrison song While My Frond Gently Sweeps.

My only disappointment is it doesn’t like much sun, otherwise I can use these in many places.  

The slow rate it produces fronds means in direct sun existing fronds will burn before new fronds develop and a new frond can burn before it fully opens.

Translation: if you want five or more perfect green fronds at the same time it needs shade or heavily filtered sun ... in SoCal summer at least.

Mine would sometimes do that.... I thought it was just that they are so temperamental in our area.... It plugged right along sometimes good, sometimes no so good, until this year... I think i got some kind of fungus/mold/ rot going... The spears always seemed to be stronger it the summer, than the winter.... Longer, more robust...Again until just recently.... My post on my problems...

Good luck with yours...

Butch

Pictures would be nice.   I have had palms do that.  As the frond grow, they continue to unfurl.  Now if your frond is not growing, and frozen,  that's a different story.  Have you marked the spear as Bret has suggested?  When they are that size, it's hard to tell if there has been any growth without a visual queue. 

From your average temps,  I deduce that you must be inland SoCal.  This has been one of the milder summers for us in Coastal SoCal.  Temps barely have broken 80 degrees here.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 8/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, joe_OC said:

Pictures would be nice.   I have had palms do that.  As the frond grow, they continue to unfurl.  Now if your frond is not growing, and frozen,  that's a different story.  Have you marked the spear as Bret has suggested?  When they are that size, it's hard to tell if there has been any growth without a visual queue. 

From your average temps,  I deduce that you must be inland SoCal.  This has been one of the milder summers for us in Coastal SoCal.  Temps barely have broken 80 degrees here.

I took a closeup pic and put a dot on its stem and on the stem beside it. It's making progress though it's creeping along extremely slow.

All previous fronds (on my other trees as well) grew fully extended spears that took days - sometimes a week or more - to unfurl.

This is the first case of one skipping the just-a-spear stage and unfurling before extending and I wonder what the explanation is and why the holding pattern.

There is also another spear coming up. Be interesting to see how the next spear behaves. 

I am inland and don't have the coastal conditions you have.

Arecina can sometimes be tricky. I lost a large specimen back in the 2007 winter.

Veitchia has some great palms which can be very rewarding if your able to grow them.

If you can post some pictures, that would help.

Keep us posted.