IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Old butia

Tropicdoc

Hope the city doesnt cut that bad boy down. Noone figured it would get that tall is my guess haha. I need to take a pic of a huge butia in someones backyard here , that is as tall as the 2 story house. The house may only be 20yrs old too,  very impressive, largest one i have ever seen in person. 

T J 

Im not a huge Butia fan, but I wouldn't kick that palm out of my landscape. I hope my Butia x Para hybrids look something like that in 10 years.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve seen that Butia.

We have a few down here just as big.

We’ve also got quite a few sabals that have to be well above 75’ tall. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, Jcalvin said:

I’ve seen that Butia.

We have a few down here just as big.

We’ve also got quite a few sabals that have to be well above 75’ tall. 

Pics please :yay:

T J 

On 9/3/2019 at 3:55 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Yes, Please post pics.  I've never seen a butia that large in the US before.

I’ll try to remember next time in downtown Brunswick or Waycross. 

I go by some huge sabals almost daily, though. 

file.php?id=66529file.php?id=66528Here is a picture of a house in South Houston, within 2-3 miles of Nasa’s Johnson Space Center . This neighborhood is from the 60-70’s heyday of the Apollo missions to help indicate possible age range. Unfortunately the picture was taken at dawn and doesn’t show their color. During the winter they are an emerald steel, during the summer more of the silver comes out while still maintaining the emerald.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

They really are. 

I love the look of mature Butia's. They may take a while, but they have such nice proportions and are a seemingly sturdy palm.

"I love the look of mature Butia's. They may take a while, but they have such nice proportions and are a seemingly sturdy palm."

I still don't understand why people think they are SLOW..., I live in NJ and they are my FASTEST palms bar no others.

I have mine in large, plastic tubs (my biggest containers), they get protected in a very large garage that is minimally heated (just to prevent hard frost).

No other palm maxes out in the largest containers so fast for me.

Wanted to post this lovely Butia I saw today in Pensacola. While not as old as the other ones pictured in this thread, it’s probably one of the most perfect looking specimens I’ve seen. It has this nice fat base with just the right amount of curve in its trunk. And the crown is not looking too shabby either. 

BFD75A0F-6205-49EC-96FA-880C7787FE71.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, oasis371 said:

"I love the look of mature Butia's. They may take a while, but they have such nice proportions and are a seemingly sturdy palm."

I still don't understand why people think they are SLOW..., I live in NJ and they are my FASTEST palms bar no others.

I have mine in large, plastic tubs (my biggest containers), they get protected in a very large garage that is minimally heated (just to prevent hard frost).

@oasis371 well lets here what your doing! lol 

Everything Ive read suggests they are slow growing palms. 

I currently have 9 Butia odorata seeds I am attempting to germinate for the first time. 

If successful Id like to know what you're doing as far as husbandry goes so I can grow these quickly. 

@Estlander that one is nice! 

19 hours ago, oasis371 said:

They arent slow, they just arent fast.  Growing outside in texas is signicantly different than a New Jersey garage. 

20 hours ago, Estlander said:

Wanted to post this lovely Butia I saw today in Pensacola. While not as old as the other ones pictured in this thread, it’s probably one of the most perfect looking specimens I’ve seen. It has this nice fat base with just the right amount of curve in its trunk. And the crown is not looking too shabby either. 

That's really impressive!  Once mine get a few years in the ground I plan on doing a dig on one side and push them over a little bit...maybe I'll get lucky and they'll develop a curve like that over time!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 3:55 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Yes, Please post pics.  I've never seen a butia that large in the US before.

These are a couple Butia’s a FB friend of mine posted in his FB page. I believe he’s originally from Jacksonville, lives in Virginia Beach. He took a tour of a garden in Brunswick and took a couple shots in Brunswick as well. 

F8DA45C0-C311-4EC9-9309-FC6074BDDD9D.jpeg

10811D74-5AAF-4FB3-83D1-5B7705FE4522.jpeg

6596D205-A1D7-466E-ACFA-C097202A142D.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 2:50 PM, hbernstein said:

Holy crapola, that's a tall Butia!

Here's a very tall Butia here in Jacksonville, Fl. I discovered while out driving one day back in May 2015. Biggest I've seen, though we have many nearly as tall here. This one has since been removed for some unknown reason.  I posted this on another thread asking for photos of nice butias a while back./ Howfam

Butia Odorata May 2015 West Rd.- Jax Fl.- Since removed.JPG

• Like 3

On 9/9/2019 at 12:53 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

They arent slow, they just arent fast.  Growing outside in texas is signicantly different than a New Jersey garage. 

I find that they’re very robust growers in terms of the number of fronds they put out, but as far as gaining height/mass I can’t say, I believe everyone else’s accounts that say they’re slow-ish in that regard. I’ve never seen a tall Butia, they’re always short and wide.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:51 PM, Meangreen94z said:

I love how they bend their trunks looking for more light/space.

You can’t really see how dramatic the curve in the trunk is in this picture because the palm and ferns cover the bottom of the trunk. But, this one has been trained by the Live Oak that over shadows it within its canopy. 

F0D92057-D40C-48EB-B747-A007A45C46DA.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, howfam said:

Another tall old curved 1775382831_CurvedButiaAtMemorialPark-JacksonvilleFl_2014.thumb.JPG.767654669a16ba0099c1c0d42df047c4.JPGButia in Jacksonville, Fl. in Memorial Park Riverside Avenue.

See, I consider this to be an attractive palm.

The ones I see in the Orlando area rarely look completely healthy (or as large) as this specimen, with its clean, shapely, unscarred trunk and full crown of healthy leaves (even the older leaves look perfect).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

See, I consider this to be an attractive palm.

The ones I see in the Orlando area rarely look completely healthy (or as large) as this specimen, with its clean, shapely, unscarred trunk and full crown of healthy leaves (even the older leaves look perfect).

Yes palmsOrl, this a very beautiful specimen, one of many here in J'ville like it.  I like the smooth curve and flare of the leaves out from the trunk instead of a sharp curve back into the trunk like some of them have.