IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What type of Phoenix palm?

Lou-StAugFL

Anyone know what type of phoenix palm this is. I really like the narrow trunk. It is seeding now, do you think the seeds will reproduce the same thin trunk. Can I harvest the seeds when they are still orange or do I need to wait until the flesh turns brown.  They are falling on the ground now and both are available on the sidewalk. Those houses in St. Augustine FL were built in the late 1970s so I guess that is how old it is. It is pretty tall.

IMG_8179.jpg

IMG_8180.jpg

Lou St. Aug, FL

My guess based on the solitary trunk and the arching fronds: Potentially a rupicola or a hybrid with rupicola? 

You should be able to harvest and sprout the seeds now.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

looks like rupicola in leaves (and trunk thickness) of first pic.  Fruit in the second pic is the wrong color for rupicola.  In florida, phoenix hybridize so readily and are self propagating so its tough to find a pure rupicola.  In phoenix sp, only rupicolas also have flexible thorns in the petiole, the bend at the base.

• Like 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Looks like it has both canariensis and rupicola in it. Being Florida it is probably a hybrid of a hybrid.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

the reason I, and probably others can see CIDP blood is the tapering of the leaflets from longer to shorter near the leaf tip.  This is not a rupicola feature or a feature of any other phoenix sp I have grown, but I have seen it in CIDP.  Rupicolas have bright red fruit as I recall, no orange.  I have a rupicola triple that hasnt seeded yet.  They have the flexible thorns trim trunk, slow growth, nonrigid leaflets etc, but until I see the fruit, I don't know what they are.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Any Phoenix palm not from habitat seed source must be suspect for hybrid pollination.   :crying: 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California