IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating travelers palm seeds

Newpalmguy2769

In the hunt for travelers palm but before I get them I need to know best way to germinate them. Any help is really appreciated. 

I think that the plant that you are looking for is called a travellers palm as a 'common name'.

It is not actually a palm but is more closely related to the banana.   (per wikipedia)

Good luck in finding your seeds.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

They need HEAT!

I had tried to germinate some indoors one winter (and we keep in warm inside), no luck.

I tossed the soil and the seeds into the compost pile outside and in the hot August sun, found them germinating and sprouting leaves.

This is not an easy tropical though in the North for overwintering. Both Strelitzia nicolae  (Giant White Bird of Paradise) and S. reginae (Orange Bird) are MUCH easier.

Have given up on Traveler's though..., at least for the time being.

I have tried them a couple of times and they are resistant and slow.  The last batch I put in baggies and moss and on the heat pad like the palm seeds around  85-90 F.

They took 6-8 months even with nicking the seed and then about only 2 of 5 germinated.  I would assume that oasis371 was successful due to the warmth of his compost pile, and I due to the warmth of the heating pad.  I had one for about 5 years in North central texas indoors that did well.  It grew to about 12 ft tall. It was kept indoors in a large bay window and got bright indirect light.  If I had my choices I would by small plants as the seeds are challenging.......

Wow... the challenge of getting these to germinate excites me lol. Well I can do the warmth August compost pile and heat pad so Hopefully I have some luck. Thanks for the all the reply’s. 

Happy growing.