IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Droopy Trachy Fronds

Rightstuff15

I have three Trachycarpus fortunei windmills.  The one in the picture has fronds that are not as stiff or thick as my other two.  I bought it from Fast Growing Trees a few years ago.  It puts out new fronds each year and seems very healthy. Just wondering if anyone would know what variety this may be or why the fronds are thin and droopy?

20190602_113240s600.jpg

Is it very windy there? I have a similar sized one that tends to fold like that during a wind storm.  I can’t tell from the photo but if it is crossed with a nova for example it may be more flimsy.

In all day sun new fronds will be a little smaller and more wind resistant.  Otherwise genetics.  Fertilize with osmocote or similar.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I have one that looks even worse than that.  They tend to grow out of it over time and start producing stiffer fronds, but will almost always have some leave of "droop".

I find that the fronds put off once in the ground are ALOT stiffer and nicer overall. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 1 month later...

i would also test the soil pH because i have had palms start to yellow and create weak fronds due to the pH being too high. once i corrected the pH the palm recovered rapidly.

if the pH is too high, it isnt going to matter how much you fertilize because the palm will not be able to absorb the nutrients. there may be plenty of nutrients available in the soil but the pH level may inhibit their uptake

• 2 weeks later...