Kim

Dypsis canaliculata

Kim

Dypsis canaliculata shed a frond overnight, and begged to have a selfie taken. What a show-off!

(Photos have not been enhanced.)

F2D54D98-DB97-4D5D-9D9F-87C15B38EEB6.thumb.jpeg.7a2a47af60e21f640ad8519091c2f9c3.jpeg

Estimated length of frond, 16 ft.

07565A0C-794E-4E16-88B7-E55AB7B619A6.thumb.jpeg.c2bc26b8283db9589b15cd496325292c.jpeg

6B3C65AA-5E09-4B1F-ACC1-2F4FBDE7C30D.thumb.jpeg.bc8726c082907fd8bfe494be380bdfcc.jpeg

7ABA1DAE-52B3-473F-BF3A-B9DB78F2F666.thumb.jpeg.07f9c0a34b95f6d3a0645f52d72762cb.jpeg

F5A7C9A6-5024-45ED-85F2-FF95A323E86B.thumb.jpeg.dc81b4d3661a27d9728149484f636f85.jpeg

D. canaliculata has elbowed aside D. prestoniana in my “favorite Dypsis” category, though both are impressive.

A85D9A5D-7336-451D-80A1-EF4CF9918073.thumb.jpeg.32c189accd1dd5f554c771da919dfddf.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

realarch

Geeze, that thing looks fantastic. It's really taken off in the last year or so. 

Tim

Hilo Jason

So amazing!  I really wish these were still available, I made it to the island just a little too late to get one!  But maybe you will have seed soon?  

HiwaKika

Effin Hawaii. Is there any palm that doesn’t grow best in Hawaii? Even the dead part is more beautiful than anything that grows here.

• Like 1

The Gerg

Very nice. I too am quite jealous of our Hawaii friends. <_<

John hovancsek

That is a looker for sure 

Daryl

Awesome looking palm Kim! I had a healthy one in my old garden, and it was one of my fastest 'large' Dypsis....can't wait for my two (ex Wal) canaliculatas to get a move-on and look like yours!

LJG

Such a beautiful palm. 

Hilo Jason
2 hours ago, LJG said:

Such a beautiful palm. 

Would love to see an updated pic of yours Len. One of my favorite palms in your garden. Although I have many favorites there!

• Like 1

HtownPalms

DAYUM!! That palm is a beast! What a great looking tree. 

OC2Texaspalmlvr

I so wish i could grow any Dypsis =( in the ground 

Kim

It's not a palm you hear mentioned often. If anyone is growing it, please post your photos.

This was planted in March 2010 from a large pot. Shown dead center in the photo below, just to the left of the holey boulder.

DYPSISAREA.thumb.jpg.8cbc473d32a039dcc3ad7c648b5e19a2.jpg

• Like 2

BS Man about Palms
21 hours ago, LJG said:

Such a beautiful palm. 

Dude. You better post your friggin palm or I will! :rolleyes:

Lens has a ring or two of trunk.

Mine that I thought was killed by a gopher several years back is powering full speed ahead! A thread below with mine near the bottom and I will try to get an updated pic of mine...

BS Man about Palms

I think I never started a canaliculata thread... yours looks fantastic Kim!!

GottmitAlex

Ok. I'll be the one who asks: What are the dangling vines in the pic? It makes the palm look much more tropical tgan it already is. 

NOT A TA
2 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Ok. I'll be the one who asks: What are the dangling vines in the pic? It makes the palm look much more tropical tgan it already is. 

I think they're ropes for the Maypole dance Alex.

• Like 1

colin Peters

Wow Kim, hope all is better after the Volcano shared its furry.  Had a friend who commuted to Honolulu airport for work on the weekends and 

wondered it he would have a home to go back to. on sundays ( jhe shared a picture of the lava from his kitchen)

Lucky it spared him.

aloha

Colin 

Kim
On 8/14/2019 at 5:58 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Those would be the "reins" -- sort of like zippers along the outer edge of the leaflets that droop down after the fronds are completely open. Many large Dypsis do this. Kinda cool. B)

• Like 1

Kim
On 8/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, colin Peters said:

Wow Kim, hope all is better after the Volcano shared its furry.  Had a friend who commuted to Honolulu airport for work on the weekends and 

wondered it he would have a home to go back to. on sundays ( jhe shared a picture of the lava from his kitchen)

Lucky it spared him.

aloha

Colin 

I am happy to say that on my street, life has returned to normal with no major changes. It was kind of tense for a few months, but that is all behind us now. Many homes are gone. Many hopes are dashed. I am among the lucky ones, and I feel very very fortunate to be able to say that. Several on this forum have lost their lands.

• Like 3