IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis canaliculata

Kim

Dypsis canaliculata shed a frond overnight, and begged to have a selfie taken. What a show-off!

(Photos have not been enhanced.)

F2D54D98-DB97-4D5D-9D9F-87C15B38EEB6.thumb.jpeg.7a2a47af60e21f640ad8519091c2f9c3.jpeg

Estimated length of frond, 16 ft.

07565A0C-794E-4E16-88B7-E55AB7B619A6.thumb.jpeg.c2bc26b8283db9589b15cd496325292c.jpeg

6B3C65AA-5E09-4B1F-ACC1-2F4FBDE7C30D.thumb.jpeg.bc8726c082907fd8bfe494be380bdfcc.jpeg

7ABA1DAE-52B3-473F-BF3A-B9DB78F2F666.thumb.jpeg.07f9c0a34b95f6d3a0645f52d72762cb.jpeg

F5A7C9A6-5024-45ED-85F2-FF95A323E86B.thumb.jpeg.dc81b4d3661a27d9728149484f636f85.jpeg

D. canaliculata has elbowed aside D. prestoniana in my “favorite Dypsis” category, though both are impressive.

A85D9A5D-7336-451D-80A1-EF4CF9918073.thumb.jpeg.32c189accd1dd5f554c771da919dfddf.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Geeze, that thing looks fantastic. It's really taken off in the last year or so. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

So amazing!  I really wish these were still available, I made it to the island just a little too late to get one!  But maybe you will have seed soon?  

Effin Hawaii. Is there any palm that doesn’t grow best in Hawaii? Even the dead part is more beautiful than anything that grows here.

• Like 2

Awesome looking palm Kim! I had a healthy one in my old garden, and it was one of my fastest 'large' Dypsis....can't wait for my two (ex Wal) canaliculatas to get a move-on and look like yours!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Such a beautiful palm. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

2 hours ago, LJG said:

Such a beautiful palm. 

Would love to see an updated pic of yours Len. One of my favorite palms in your garden. Although I have many favorites there!

• Like 1

It's not a palm you hear mentioned often. If anyone is growing it, please post your photos.

This was planted in March 2010 from a large pot. Shown dead center in the photo below, just to the left of the holey boulder.

DYPSISAREA.thumb.jpg.8cbc473d32a039dcc3ad7c648b5e19a2.jpg

• Like 4

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

21 hours ago, LJG said:

Such a beautiful palm. 

Dude. You better post your friggin palm or I will! :rolleyes:

Lens has a ring or two of trunk.

Mine that I thought was killed by a gopher several years back is powering full speed ahead! A thread below with mine near the bottom and I will try to get an updated pic of mine...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think I never started a canaliculata thread... yours looks fantastic Kim!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ok. I'll be the one who asks: What are the dangling vines in the pic? It makes the palm look much more tropical tgan it already is. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Ok. I'll be the one who asks: What are the dangling vines in the pic? It makes the palm look much more tropical tgan it already is. 

I think they're ropes for the Maypole dance Alex.

• Like 1

Wow Kim, hope all is better after the Volcano shared its furry.  Had a friend who commuted to Honolulu airport for work on the weekends and 

wondered it he would have a home to go back to. on sundays ( jhe shared a picture of the lava from his kitchen)

Lucky it spared him.

aloha

Colin 

On 8/14/2019 at 5:58 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Those would be the "reins" -- sort of like zippers along the outer edge of the leaflets that droop down after the fronds are completely open. Many large Dypsis do this. Kinda cool. B)

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

On 8/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, colin Peters said:

Wow Kim, hope all is better after the Volcano shared its furry.  Had a friend who commuted to Honolulu airport for work on the weekends and 

wondered it he would have a home to go back to. on sundays ( jhe shared a picture of the lava from his kitchen)

Lucky it spared him.

aloha

Colin 

I am happy to say that on my street, life has returned to normal with no major changes. It was kind of tense for a few months, but that is all behind us now. Many homes are gone. Many hopes are dashed. I am among the lucky ones, and I feel very very fortunate to be able to say that. Several on this forum have lost their lands.

• Like 3

Kim Cyr

• 3 weeks later...

Hers a few shots of my caniculata. in Encinitas. About 10-12 ft tall.

IMG_6744.thumb.jpg.96e985dea0f86454290e6336c97ae0ab.jpg

IMG_6745.thumb.jpg.62d1831dc131b11145ee9be76ab26cce.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Nick has the magic touch for sure!

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Excellent Bump with your killer palm Nick!

Reminded me to update mine. Considering I thought a gopher killed it 5-6 years ago, its doing exceptionally well!!

70033632_2379429975708372_302516425220685824_n.jpg

69773305_487327692102433_2348478196078346240_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Looking good Bill!

Kim Cyr

On 9/2/2019 at 6:51 AM, Kim said:

Nick has the magic touch for sure!

Nick has the knack. :)

Kim - what a beauty you have grown.

I've had this palm for many years, sourced from collected seeds and never had a name (well never a correct name). As it has gotten bigger I have suspected it is a D. canaliculata. Anybody else wish to concur, or not?

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_4369.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

@Dypsisdean....Well I can’t help you answer that question as I am not fortunate enough to have experience with palms quite this spectacular. But I just want to say wow. What an awesome palm. It truly amazes me at just how large and tall some palms can get before they even start to trunk. I guess that’s how you know you’re gonna have a monster.

9 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

I've had this palm for many years, sourced from collected seeds and never had a name (well never a correct name). As it has gotten bigger I have suspected it is a D. canaliculata. Anybody else wish to concur, or not?

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_4369.jpg

I see what you did there Dean! Well I don't exactly have a great track record giving your palm ID's but in my opinion looks like a dead ringer for caniculata. On a side note I'm headed to he Big Island in October with my family and would love to tour your garden and go to dinner with you guys. I'll PM you the details of our trip.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

11 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Looks right (and great) to me!! Thankfully, I think I ended up with a spare that I will plant in the back yard as I did not realise quite how big these get and the one out front may have an argument with the power company!! :( 

6 hours ago, ellidro said:

I see what you did there Dean! Well I don't exactly have a great track record giving your palm ID's but in my opinion looks like a dead ringer for caniculata. On a side note I'm headed to he Big Island in October with my family and would love to tour your garden and go to dinner with you guys. I'll PM you the details of our trip.

Let's change your UserName to Knick Knack. :)

I will be in Leucadia for Dorian's PSSC Palm Tour in a couple of weeks. Hope to see you and any other PSSC palm guys there. Maybe a Sushi Session (and visit to your garden) if you have time. We will be spending some time in Tahiti in Oct. Hopefully it won't be when you are here. Expect a PM.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

16 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Sure looks like Canaliculata to me.  Really nice palm Dean!  I wish there were still a few around here on the big island so I could add one to my garden.  I'll be patiently waiting for seed from your plant or Kims. 

See you in California at the PSSC meeting, I'll be in town as well, getting my Fallbrook house ready to go on the market.  I'm glad the PSSC tour ended up being when I was out there.  It's been many years since I've seen your old Encinitas garden.  

• 3 weeks later...

I had an opportunity to stop by at my old garden here in Leilani Estates a little while ago and wanted to check out the Dypsis canaliculata there. A bit of background: on April 12, 2002 I made one of many shopping trips up to Floribunda Palms and among many other palm acquisitions that day I bought three little D. canaliculata in 4 inch pots. Tiny little things. Jeff gave me a special price: $5.00 for the three of them. One of them unfortunately died early on so I had two survivors and I gradually potted them up into bigger pots. One of them went into the ground (from a 15G pot) on July 28, 2008 in my old garden, and this is what it looks like today, September 19, 2019. The sibling plant is the one that Kim has in her garden and it was planted in March 2010. (First several photos in this thread). I'd say they are both doing extremely well! :)

DSC_0103.JPG

• Like 4

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And I just can't resist to post this photo, which I believe has been posted before but that was a long time ago. This was in March 2010, and here is Kim with her Dypsis canaliculata - JUST PLANTED! :) Check out the growth, 9.5 years worth - first several photos in this thread.

2010-03-12_010.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm