Sign in to follow this  
-2 brian

Licuala ramsayi vs spinosa so cal experiences

-2 brian

I hoping some California growers can share their experiences with either or both of these palms; location / exposure / growth rate etc? I am in the coastal zone of Orange County & have a protected corner spot that will get filtered light through a tabebuia tree canopy and will receive a little low angle winter sun and would love to put one of these palms there.  For reference I have two large birds nest ferns growing in the ground just in front of the spot I want to plant so wind protection & humidity are great in that part of the yard. All things being equal would love to put a ramsayi there unless the spinosa was a much faster grower? I do have a ramsayi in another part of the yard but has grown pretty slow for me; most likely I believe because it is in to protected of an area that gets complete shade. Which leads to a second ? of anyone’s experiences transplanting a small (18” - 24”) ramsayi? Would ideally rather plant a new one if I could find it locally instead of having the possibility of a couple of years of setback / stagnation. Unless of course the consensus is that they motor along after transplanting. 

joe_OC

Hi Brian,

I have both in my garden.   Both do well for me.  I would say that you should go with ramsayi.  

-2 brian
6 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Hi Brian,

I have both in my garden.   Both do well for me.  I would say that you should go with ramsayi.  

Joe,  what sun exposure does your Ramsayi get and have had any experiences transplanting one?

joe_OC

It's in a pretty protected location.  Overhead cover all day long.  I've seen them in a lot more sun though.  

I don't have experience transplanting them, but my buddy Mike has moved his to a more protected location and his palm had no issues.

• Upvote 1

Dypsisdean

I had a L. ramsayi in Encinitas in shade for 7-8 years and it crawled along. I cut the overhead tree down and it immediately started moving.

• Upvote 1

Matt in OC

My two Ramsayii take some direct sun in the middle of the day and are fine for it. I planted them as small 5 gal. about 5 years ago. 

IMG_2839.JPG

APC_1517-hdr.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Darold Petty

The Lakeside Palmetum was gifted a cast-off potted L. ramsayi.  It was large plant from an indoor swimming pool.  I planted it in a shady area under maple trees.  It died right away !  :( 

• Upvote 1

-2 brian
3 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

My two Ramsayii take some direct sun in the middle of the day and are fine for it. I planted them as small 5 gal. about 5 years ago. 

IMG_2839.JPG

APC_1517-hdr.jpg

Matt your Ramsayi looks great

-2 brian
3 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

I had a L. ramsayi in Encinitas in shade for 7-8 years and it crawled along. I cut the overhead tree down and it immediately started moving.

Good to know the new location will get more sun then the local it’s in now mostly high filtered during summer and a little bit of direct winter into spring. Not gonna get a ton but more then it’s getting now. 

-2 brian
3 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

The Lakeside Palmetum was gifted a cast-off potted L. ramsayi.  It was large plant from an indoor swimming pool.  I planted it in a shady area under maple trees.  It died right away !  :( 

That’s too bad

-2 brian
4 hours ago, joe_OC said:

It's in a pretty protected location.  Overhead cover all day long.  I've seen them in a lot more sun though.  

I don't have experience transplanting them, but my buddy Mike has moved his to a more protected location and his palm had no issues.

I think I gonna go for transplanting the one I have now. Hopefully I can get out enough of a rootball to avoid any setback as it’s right in the middle of a bunch of Schefflera roots.

joe_OC
25 minutes ago, -2 brian said:

I think I gonna go for transplanting the one I have now. Hopefully I can get out enough of a rootball to avoid any setback as it’s right in the middle of a bunch of Schefflera roots.

Schefflera have very aggressive roots.  Your palm will thank you for taking it out.

-2 brian

Transplanted the Ramsayi today & im pretty pretty hopeful / confident it’ll avoid any shock / setback. Here is a pic of it in its new home 9755E1D0-A306-420A-8B1D-8BFB0E8BCAE1.thumb.jpeg.7e5b161c010a00cca3c41f5aa45b938a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

realarch

Good luck!! Such a great palm, robust, fairly fast growing, outstanding in a pot, and when planted out, a specimen palm.

Tim