IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala ramsayi vs spinosa so cal experiences

-2 brian

I hoping some California growers can share their experiences with either or both of these palms; location / exposure / growth rate etc? I am in the coastal zone of Orange County & have a protected corner spot that will get filtered light through a tabebuia tree canopy and will receive a little low angle winter sun and would love to put one of these palms there.  For reference I have two large birds nest ferns growing in the ground just in front of the spot I want to plant so wind protection & humidity are great in that part of the yard. All things being equal would love to put a ramsayi there unless the spinosa was a much faster grower? I do have a ramsayi in another part of the yard but has grown pretty slow for me; most likely I believe because it is in to protected of an area that gets complete shade. Which leads to a second ? of anyone’s experiences transplanting a small (18” - 24”) ramsayi? Would ideally rather plant a new one if I could find it locally instead of having the possibility of a couple of years of setback / stagnation. Unless of course the consensus is that they motor along after transplanting. 

Hi Brian,

I have both in my garden.   Both do well for me.  I would say that you should go with ramsayi.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

6 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Hi Brian,

I have both in my garden.   Both do well for me.  I would say that you should go with ramsayi.  

Joe,  what sun exposure does your Ramsayi get and have had any experiences transplanting one?

It's in a pretty protected location.  Overhead cover all day long.  I've seen them in a lot more sun though.  

I don't have experience transplanting them, but my buddy Mike has moved his to a more protected location and his palm had no issues.

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I had a L. ramsayi in Encinitas in shade for 7-8 years and it crawled along. I cut the overhead tree down and it immediately started moving.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

My two Ramsayii take some direct sun in the middle of the day and are fine for it. I planted them as small 5 gal. about 5 years ago. 

IMG_2839.JPG

APC_1517-hdr.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The Lakeside Palmetum was gifted a cast-off potted L. ramsayi.  It was large plant from an indoor swimming pool.  I planted it in a shady area under maple trees.  It died right away !  :( 

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

3 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

My two Ramsayii take some direct sun in the middle of the day and are fine for it. I planted them as small 5 gal. about 5 years ago. 

IMG_2839.JPG

APC_1517-hdr.jpg

Matt your Ramsayi looks great

3 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

I had a L. ramsayi in Encinitas in shade for 7-8 years and it crawled along. I cut the overhead tree down and it immediately started moving.

Good to know the new location will get more sun then the local it’s in now mostly high filtered during summer and a little bit of direct winter into spring. Not gonna get a ton but more then it’s getting now. 

3 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

The Lakeside Palmetum was gifted a cast-off potted L. ramsayi.  It was large plant from an indoor swimming pool.  I planted it in a shady area under maple trees.  It died right away !  :( 

That’s too bad

4 hours ago, joe_OC said:

It's in a pretty protected location.  Overhead cover all day long.  I've seen them in a lot more sun though.  

I don't have experience transplanting them, but my buddy Mike has moved his to a more protected location and his palm had no issues.

I think I gonna go for transplanting the one I have now. Hopefully I can get out enough of a rootball to avoid any setback as it’s right in the middle of a bunch of Schefflera roots.

25 minutes ago, -2 brian said:

I think I gonna go for transplanting the one I have now. Hopefully I can get out enough of a rootball to avoid any setback as it’s right in the middle of a bunch of Schefflera roots.

Schefflera have very aggressive roots.  Your palm will thank you for taking it out.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Transplanted the Ramsayi today & im pretty pretty hopeful / confident it’ll avoid any shock / setback. Here is a pic of it in its new home 9755E1D0-A306-420A-8B1D-8BFB0E8BCAE1.thumb.jpeg.7e5b161c010a00cca3c41f5aa45b938a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Good luck!! Such a great palm, robust, fairly fast growing, outstanding in a pot, and when planted out, a specimen palm.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like I spoke too soon.  All of the existing fronds have dried out and shriveled up so I've trimmed them all of leaving only the new spear that was trying to open and another just emerging. Emerging fronds are very loose in the trunk and as such im certain this palm will be a goner. Too bad it was a nice looking Ramsayi, guess I should have left it where it was and just searched for a new one to put in the location. Looks like ill be in market for a Ramsayi!

Give it time to adjust.  I have a few licuala that went threw a crazy shock and have recovered . The pic is one that had lost all the leafs but now is recovered 

20190731_130006.jpg

• Upvote 1

I’m gonna leave it n the ground and c what happens with it. I’m assuming if it goes all the way it will happen in the near future 

Great info about this beautiful species - I am glad about this thread!

@-2 brian All the best for your palm, I hope it will recover!

Here is my still young only one, grown from seed...

003.thumb.jpg.fafb2231ada95be27e7f7e9b0619fc50.jpg

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Give it time to adjust.  I have a few licuala that went threw a crazy shock and have recovered . The pic is one that had lost all the leafs but now is recovered 

20190731_130006.jpg

Looks like L. distans John, not as robust or prominent as L. ramsayii, but beautiful non the less..

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

8 hours ago, realarch said:

Looks like L. distans John, not as robust or prominent as L. ramsayii, but beautiful non the less..

Tim

15667497662442228373302545031905.jpg

I just posted my ramsii grown in full sun the licuala I had problems with was l. Kemamamensis.  Here is it today

20190825_061845.jpg

Awesome John, never heard of this one, looked like L. distans at first glance. New leaf looks nice.

Tim

Edited by realarch
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii