IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ID on a gift plant

Tracy

I used to know the name of this plant.  It was given to me when I was admiring a garden and the owner of the home gave me a tour as well as a couple of starts from his garden in Pacific Beach CA.  Unfortunately, I have forgotten the name of this plant.  The other plant he gave me was a Heliconia.

20190811_180107.jpg

20190811_180058.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

4 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I used to know the name of this plant.  It was given to me when I was admiring a garden and the owner of the home gave me a tour as well as a couple of starts from his garden in Pacific Beach CA.  Unfortunately, I have forgotten the name of this plant.  The other plant he gave me was a Heliconia.

20190811_180107.jpg

20190811_180058.jpg

Cast Iron Plant, Aspidistra elator.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Cast Iron Plant, Aspidistra elator.

Danke!  I remembered it had iron in the common name but couldn't place it.  I have a problem planter in my Carlsbad home so want to take plugs from this planting in that garden to the other planter.  The clump pictured started from the single plug gifted to me.

15 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Danke!  I remembered it had iron in the common name but couldn't place it.  I have a problem planter in my Carlsbad home so want to take plugs from this planting in that garden to the other planter.  The clump pictured started from the single plug gifted to me.

For as easy going as Cast Iron is, they're tough as nails, can adapt to almost any soil, and even tolerate some drought when established. While hard to see, flowers they produce ( at the base of the plants ) are interesting as well. Theres a couple variegated forms that are nice to have around if you can find 'em. Wonder how it would look mixed with Yerba Mansa.

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

The only two things that'll survive a nuclear holocaust are cockroaches and Aspidistra.

:floor:

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

While hard to see, flowers they produce ( at the base of the plants ) are interesting as well

While I put this in well over 10 years ago, I have never noticed a bloom probably because they are so well hidden.

Anyone have suggestions about which cultivars are fastest growing ?  I would assume that they would be all-green forms.  I have spent a ton of money on these plants from PDN but have been quite disappointed with the growth rate.  Thanks. 

San Francisco, California

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

While I put this in well over 10 years ago, I have never noticed a bloom probably because they are so well hidden.

Until i saw it with my own eyes, wasn't sure how they reproduced. Thought what i were seeing  while repotting a bunch of over grown 1 gal were some sort of Mushroom comming up next to the plants. Pretty obvious what they were once they opened. Attractive  to some sort of small beetle, at least in Florida also. Don't recall ever seeing pods / any sort of fruit develop later on though. 

5 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Until i saw it with my own eyes, wasn't sure how they reproduced. Thought what i were seeing  while repotting a bunch of over grown 1 gal were some sort of Mushroom comming up next to the plants. Pretty obvious what they were once they opened.

My group planting is so dense that the only place one would see the flower is if it were on the edge of the little colony.  That's probably why I haven't seen a bloom yet.  Now I'll be on the look out though :D

• Like 1