Darren Michael

Juania and Jubaea in habitat!

Darren Michael

Hello, I'm planning a trip to Chile this November and am interested in seeing Juania australis and/or Jubaea chilensis in habitat. On Juania I haven't been able to find out if the remaining wild specimens are still visible by regular visitors to Robinson Crusoe, and if so, exactly where (though there don't seem to be many hiking options to begin with). For Jubaea, it seems Parque Nacional La Campana is the best spot, at least as far as large protected areas, but I wanted to make sure that there aren't any better but more obscure/still accessible locations.

Thanks!

Darren

GMann

I have not actually been but I have researched the Jubaea locations for a future visit one day, aside from La Campana the other places to see large numbers of them are in Cocalan National Park, and right outside the city of Valparaiso on Highway 60.

• Like 1

Darren Michael

Thanks for the info! Seems that particular park isn't open to the general public though (unless that's changed). 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Fusca
      By Fusca
      I was in Brownsville this past weekend and stopped by the Sabal Palm Sanctuary to see some nice old Sabal mexicanas.  The Sabal Palm Sanctuary is a 557-acre nature reserve and bird sanctuary.

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      Are these rattan palms Daemonorops? And if so which species?

• GMann
      By GMann
      Here is my latest drone video of Brahea armata in habitat in Baja California:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ44dh4SyCE
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Do any Australians (or people who visited Australia) on the forum have any pictures of some Australian palms in habitat? I know there are scattered pictures around the forum but I thought I should make a thread specifically about them. Please post your pictures if you have any. Also, what are the cold hardiest Australian palms? 
    • Josue Diaz
      By Josue Diaz
      Went for a walk this morning, and spent some time under a local jubaea. It's loaded with seed so I'm keeping an eye on it to get to the seeds before the squirrels do.