IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Juania and Jubaea in habitat!

Darren Michael

Hello, I'm planning a trip to Chile this November and am interested in seeing Juania australis and/or Jubaea chilensis in habitat. On Juania I haven't been able to find out if the remaining wild specimens are still visible by regular visitors to Robinson Crusoe, and if so, exactly where (though there don't seem to be many hiking options to begin with). For Jubaea, it seems Parque Nacional La Campana is the best spot, at least as far as large protected areas, but I wanted to make sure that there aren't any better but more obscure/still accessible locations.

Thanks!

Darren

• Like 1

I have not actually been but I have researched the Jubaea locations for a future visit one day, aside from La Campana the other places to see large numbers of them are in Cocalan National Park, and right outside the city of Valparaiso on Highway 60.

• Like 2

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Thanks for the info! Seems that particular park isn't open to the general public though (unless that's changed). 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Parque Nacional La Campana is probably THE best area for Jubaea in habitat. I was there in January 2019 and it was an amazing experience.  Here are just a few of my photos. And yes, all those palms up on the mountain are Jubaea chilensis! :)

DSC_0506.JPG

DSC_0517.JPG

DSC_0527.JPG

• Like 9

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks for the info and the great images! Definitely enticing. Is there are particular trail you'd recommend, and did you just go for the day?

Edited by Darren Michael

If I recall correctly, not that many choices. You park the car, head off on the only trail that leads into the park. Once inside you will have choices, but I don't believe the various trails have names. Just head in whatever direction looks most promising. It worked for us! And we probably did a three hour hike or so. :)

EDIT - and yes, just a day trip. I was staying in Valparaiso for a week and good friends picked me up at the Airbnb where I was staying. I believe Valparaiso is closer to La Campana than Santiago but you will need independent transportation to get to La Campana

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what has caused all of them to neck down from their original diameter. Changing climate? Harvested Leaves?

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 5 months later...

The neck effect is standard for jubaea, it appears, both in habitat and cultivation. It happens when plants reach a certain mature height, but seems to vary among individuals.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C