IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Killed This Foxtail?

realarch

Friends sent me these photos of a Foxtail along their drive which looked fine until it just fell over. The palm even had a new spear emerging. 

I'm not sure if it's fungal or if the hollowing out is caused by some critter? 

They have others adjacent to this one, and wondered if they will suffer the same fate unless there is a remedy. 

Thanks!

Tim

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

27 minutes ago, realarch said:

Friends sent me these photos of a Foxtail along their drive which looked fine until it just fell over. The palm even had a new spear emerging. 

I'm not sure if it's fungal or if the hollowing out is caused by some critter? 

They have others adjacent to this one, and wondered if they will suffer the same fate unless there is a remedy. 

Thanks!

Tim

IMG_1739.jpg

I can't provide any answers but just to clarify, I assume this is somewhere on the Big Island?  In the photos provided it doesn't appear that there are any insects infesting where the failure occurred.  Did they do a thorough inspection looking for signs of bugs and not find any?  It looks like whatever it was the internal base of the trunk was completely degraded.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Probably bud rot but if they cut it with the weed eater could possibly be it. A lot of times in the winter where the temps are close to freezing or several cool nights along with moisture can cause rot. It is a good idea to treat the crown with some fungicide during those time. 

• Upvote 1

David

My experience is they prefer a bit drier conditions, Looks like a very moist area. I gather this is in HI somewhere. I'm going with just rotted out.

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

2 hours ago, redant said:

My experience is they prefer a bit drier conditions, Looks like a very moist area. I gather this is in HI somewhere. I'm going with just rotted out.

I'm glad you mentioned this, for some reason I had it in my mind that the foxtail was a swampy palm.  In habitat it's a hot full sun palm and tolerates a long dry season.  I have a couple up next to the house and the gutter downspout floods that area daily.  Maybe I ought to divert that downspout...  :D

Thanks for the comments, still a mystery. Foxtails usually thrive here in East Hawaii and seem to love the heavy rainfall. We call them 'fertilizer hogs' as they yellow quickly and require a regular feeding program.

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii