IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adonidia merrillii Christmas palm seed for sale

NOT A TA

Cursed things have a 101% strike rate in Darwin....on the shed roof leaf litter, cracks in the concrete, in the lawn, the guttering.....they're nearly as messy and prolific as the local native Carpentaria.
I shovelled some up and chucked 'em in this tub around the new year. The other tub is Queen palm seeds, which also germinate at 101%

155505706_340255907350029_1358890760445298997_n.jpg

Edited by greysrigging
addition to post.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

The only thing I can think of is I got mine in the summer and placed them in the Texas heat by the pool. Not sure if the extra heat helped. I want to think all of the seeds that germinated did so in about 6 weeks. If you haven't had any start growing in 2 months I would be a bit concerned. These sprouted very fast for me but I wouldn't give up on yours yet. I have had seeds that I thought were for sure duds then finally sprouted many months after I got them. 

About the same time(within a week) I had some other Christmas palm seeds sent to me from a palmtalk member hobbyist and fruit was still on the seeds. After cleaning, they germinated within two weeks hence my concern about the others.

5 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

About the same time(within a week) I had some other Christmas palm seeds sent to me from a palmtalk member hobbyist and fruit was still on the seeds. After cleaning, they germinated within two weeks hence my concern about the others.

You said that you received them in early January and your profile shows that you live in Omaha. Was it cold around the time you received them? If they were in a cold warehouse, truck, or mailbox they might have been zapped. Even if the other seeds arrived a few days off from these if the weather was different that could have been the difference I'm good seeds versus bad. 

7 hours ago, HtownPalms said:

You said that you received them in early January and your profile shows that you live in Omaha. Was it cold around the time you received them? If they were in a cold warehouse, truck, or mailbox they might have been zapped. Even if the other seeds arrived a few days off from these if the weather was different that could have been the difference I'm good seeds versus bad. 

I received other Christmas palm seeds from a Palmtalk member that were still in fruit and they sprouted in two weeks. So freshness of the others is in question.

1 hour ago, sashaeffer said:

I received other Christmas palm seeds from a Palmtalk member that were still in fruit and they sprouted in two weeks. So freshness of the others is in question.

I got you. I have gotten duds a few times on here. Good luck going forward. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 7:16 PM, sashaeffer said:

Dunno why but I didn't see this thread pop up a couple weeks ago.

The seeds I sent you were fresh. It was the end of December so maybe they got too cold in transit? I'll send a replacement tomorrow and you can try them again. I toss out previous seed every time I collect new seed for the cleaned Adonidia seeds I sell in lots up to 100.  I replace them about every two weeks from Sept. till March. Sun dried ones in large quantities for commercial growers I keep longer. They're viable for many months. A lot of PTers would cringe if they saw the amounts of seed I toss out regularly when I get fresher seed.

20210303_135835.jpg?width=1920&height=10

How much for all your tossed seeds. Lol! 

The seeds I bought from you were the most viable I have ever received. I'm planning on buying more once my current seedlings get big enough to sell at my local farmers market. These little beauties are rare exotics around here! Any local Instagramers "must have" for pictures.