• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      Not a Lodoicea, but only two L weddellianum potted together, today 6 years old:

And 2 years ago:

And when they were still younger:

And 4 months after birth, er, germination:

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      My 10 Lytocaryum weddellianum grown up from seed in 2013 were more and more getting too tall  for my desktop, except one (N°1306c) which I had kept quite small by very brutal  root pruning. (But even the other pruned palm N°1306a is growing too tall …)
      Now I am intending to keep my 3 one year young L batavum as small bonsai palms. First, I will keep them as long as possible in their tiny Ø8xH9cm clay pots. Second, I will expose them also to direct sunlight, but watching that they don’t get burned. 
      @Jamesasb , you have mentioned (and posted a pic) one year ago that you are making one of your L weddellianum to a bonsai. Are there already visible and positive results? 
      Here the desktop-sized N°1306c:

And here the 3 new bonsai candidates:

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      This is the story of the weakest of ten Lytocaryum weddellianum seedlings.
      In 2013 all other seeds germinated between April 01 and 26, only one small seed germinated much later on May 8 after 49 days (cf. pic #1).  And this seedling N°1308 would not grow like its siblings and stayed small though it was the only single seedling which was planted since the beginning in a large Ø12xH12 cm clay pot (cf. pic #2).  (The other five singles N°1301 to N°1305 had only tiny Ø8xH9cm clay pots.) So I checked the roots and was very worried (pic #3).  The soil mix could not be the the reason because the other Lyto weddells were planted in the same mix.  So I guessed it might be that the draining hole of the pot was closed by something too tight. I placed another piece of a clay pot over the hole and repotted the palm with the same soil into the same pot.  And it became looking happier (pic #4)  and is a happy little bonsai palm until now, pushing its 18th leaf (pic #5), with very strong and healthy roots (pic #6). 
      So we can see that even an ideal soil mix may cause problems when the pot is too large or the drainage not optimal.

• Laaz
      By Laaz
      So how do we get these to the US?     http://www.e-jardim.com/produto_completo.asp?IDProduto=344#

I've been trying to locate some of these for a while...
    • User00
      By User00
      anyone from tropical climate  growing lytocaryum weddellianum  in outdoor. i heard they don't like much water