IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Video on Thailand’s coconut farming

Rickybobby

Damn that's an amazing amount of coconuts and trees. I wonder why they cut the head of the coconut to germinate. I'm going to have to try that on a couple.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

8 hours ago, redant said:

Damn that's an amazing amount of coconuts and trees. I wonder why they cut the head of the coconut to germinate. I'm going to have to try that on a couple.

I germinate a lot of coconuts and I find that some varieties tend to get stopped up in that area. The Nawasi tall from Sri Lanka in particular has this problem, but I've experienced it with Panama tall too. 

• Like 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

2 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I germinate a lot of coconuts and I find that some varieties tend to get stopped up in that area. The Nawasi tall from Sri Lanka in particular has this problem, but I've experienced it with Panama tall too. 

Great video Rob!

I tried cutting one as an experiment, not knowing it was a "thing" elsewhere in the world. The one I cut sprouted about a month quicker than other nuts from the same bunch however a few months in the plants grown from nuts without being cut caught right up to the one with the husk notched. I'm sure there's lots of differences with different varieties in various climates.

Keith, if you're over this side of FL I need to bribe you with lunch or something to teach a colorblind guy how to identify the common varieties of Coconuts here.  And ya, unfortunately I have that worse type of colorblind so can't use the glasses they came out with a few years ago. Have a bud that is also an ophthalmologist and tested me (again as an old man)  a few years ago when I was at his office having metal removed from one of my eyes. Ya, us car guys keep you guys busy and I had safety glasses as well as a face mask!  Now I use goggles that seal to my face for a lot of things.

20190513_113255_zps5jybdlhm.jpg

• Like 1