IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The great friends on palm talk and the perks

Rickybobby

I just want to thank everyone for such a great forum learned so much and tonight’s post is because of the generosity of some members.. @DoomsDave @sandgroper And @NOT A TA for the seeds and making my days. Tonight I received fresh ripe Adonidia seeds from @NOT A TA and just spent 1.5 hours cleaning them and am excited to start sowing tomorrow here’s the before and after 

C65307D0-3B4A-45E5-A6C4-3097635AE5AA.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Although I'm a John, not a Dave I'm glad you had fun with them. In the future I'll probably clean them before shipping in case it's far like yours were and they sit in hot trucks etc.  Good luck germinating!

• Like 1

Also a big thanks to @NOT A TA for the Adonidia seeds.  I clean mine with needle nose pliers.  They're sitting in a gallon freezer bag in the garage for now.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Sorry Rob, I've completely forgotten to collect up some other seeds for you, I'll get onto it over the weekend mate. Hope the Queens are going well for you.

13 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Sorry Rob, I've completely forgotten to collect up some other seeds for you, I'll get onto it over the weekend mate. Hope the Queens are going well for you.

Mate the queens are doing excellent I kept 36 and gave some away to some palm Friends 

49EB0DEC-9A3A-4DE7-A364-4060544F94F5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I watched your garden tour.  My request for what to grow is a couple Needle Palms in the ground.

• Upvote 1

@Rickybobby I’ll second the needle palm suggestion @Chester B!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

@Rickybobby I’ll second the needle palm suggestion @Chester B!

I think the goal is to wait a few years with some of my trachys and put them in the ground for good and protect them 

Awesome videos and people! Those seeds look really good. I wish more people made videos of their gardens/palm growing techniques and posted them here. I am going to start making some soon. 

• Like 3

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Awesome videos and people! Those seeds look really good. I wish more people made videos of their gardens/palm growing techniques and posted them here. I am going to start making some soon. 

This is how the seeds look fresh picked.

20190729_191122_zps3oiynfds.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Got any more?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Many palm seeds, including Adonidia seeds will sprout no problem without cleaning. Just toss them in a community pot and keep a little moist.  These are like weeds for me, the worst is Veitchia  montgomeryana, I swear they will sprout on the moon.

Edited by redant
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

17 minutes ago, redant said:

Many palm seeds, including Adonidia seeds will sprout no problem without cleaning. Just toss them in a community pot and keep a little moist.  These are like weeds for me, the worst is Veitchia  montgomeryana, I swear they will sprout on the moon.

I do indoors baggy and those seeds stink so bad. They rotted in the mail was so hot. I didn’t mind cleaning them. Therapeutic 

• Like 2

I'm cleaning before shipping Adonidia seeds now just in case they're in transit more than a couple days like Rickybobby's were up to Canada. Not having shipped them in the past, the first few shipments to people were experiments for me. So while some might like to receive bright red fruit and clean themselves, I think it'll be better for me to clean prior to shipment.

43 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

I'm cleaning before shipping Adonidia seeds now just in case they're in transit more than a couple days like Rickybobby's were up to Canada. Not having shipped them in the past, the first few shipments to people were experiments for me. So while some might like to receive bright red fruit and clean themselves, I think it'll be better for me to clean prior to shipment.

If you don’t mind the work. I’m sure someone will appreciate that. For me cleaning is part of the reward of the whole process 

40 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

If you don’t mind the work. I’m sure someone will appreciate that. For me cleaning is part of the reward of the whole process 

Part of the reason is that as a shipper we agree that it's not liquid, perishable or fragile when using USPS. I saw in your pic that after a couple days in heat while in transit you ended up with fermenting liquid and luckily it was in a tight zip lock or it would have leaked. Had it leaked it would have ended up in the trash and they'd probably send me a nastygram.

I can clean quantities fairly quickly. Hold seed under water in a bucket and squeeze slightly, causes seed to shoot out of the skin. Leave seed in water and continue with many seeds. Stir water effectively tumbling seeds so all the slimy fruity material comes off the seeds. Pour off slime water, rinse, and repeat tumbling, pour off water again, then rinse again. Dry seeds with rag and ready to ship.

Lol and yes I figured that out after that video I took. The shoot right out. Thanks again!

On 8/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

I germinated mine without cleaning them, they all seemed to come up at once. 

Ya, really no need to clean unless shipping. All the volunteers here sprout (from fallen uncleaned seed) at once in June when the temps get up to 90 F daily.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, Rickybobby said:

Lol and yes I figured that out after that video I took. The shoot right out. Thanks again!

Here's my system. Shoot them in the first bucket of water blunt end toward bucket with seed under water then toss skin (for composting) & leave seed in water. Once there's a half bucket of seed in slimy water stir so seeds bump knocking off the slime then pour off slimy water & refill with water to sit while shooting another half bucket of seeds. Then dry seeds individually from first bucket with rags. If you're only doing a few (< 100) it doesn't seem to take too much time but if you're doing hundreds you start realizing how much time it takes per seed because you're spending hours and hours doing it. I spent my whole work day yesterday just picking, cleaning, packing, and shipping Adonidia seed.

I'm going to put a listing in the for sale section here if anyone's interested in starting Adonidia from seed. Keep in mind folks you can probably go buy a plant in a big box store for a little more than shipped seeds will cost. But where's the challenge or personal accomplishment satisfaction in that? ahahaha

20190809_163535_zpswcpwxqk0.jpg

2 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Ya, really no need to clean unless shipping. All the volunteers here sprout (from fallen uncleaned seed) at once in June when the temps get up to 90 F daily.

Here's my system. Shoot them in the first bucket of water blunt end toward bucket with seed under water then toss skin (for composting) & leave seed in water. Once there's a half bucket of seed in slimy water stir so seeds bump knocking off the slime then pour off slimy water & refill with water to sit while shooting another half bucket of seeds. Then dry seeds individually from first bucket with rags. If you're only doing a few (< 100) it doesn't seem to take too much time but if you're doing hundreds you start realizing how much time it takes per seed because you're spending hours and hours doing it. I spent my whole work day yesterday just picking, cleaning, packing, and shipping Adonidia seed.

I'm going to put a listing in the for sale section here if anyone's interested in starting Adonidia from seed. Keep in mind folks you can probably go buy a plant in a big box store for a little more than shipped seeds will cost. But where's the challenge or personal accomplishment satisfaction in that? ahahaha

20190809_163535_zpswcpwxqk0.jpg

Thanks again for the seed. They are in my germination room and expect to finally get one to pop. I had no sucesss with previous seed purchases 

3 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Thanks again for the seed. They are in my germination room and expect to finally get one to pop. I had no sucesss with previous seed purchases 

Here they just lay around on the ground through the winter/spring months before sprouting the following summer.  Many years ago I tried planting recently fallen seed in community pots that were left outside and the same thing occurred, they just sat there till following summer then all sprouted at the same time volunteers did.  So after that I just started digging up volunteers to get as many as I want to grow each year. I never tried heat, baggies, etc.

Rob, I've got some more seeds for you,  I picked up some Alexander seeds off the ground, there were several small seedlings that had germinated amongst them so hopefully some of these will germinate for you. They've been sitting on the ground for a while so I hope they'll still grow, I'm not sure how long they remain viable. Also, I grabbed a bunch of Kentia seeds for you, some had already dropped on the ground and there were a bunch of Kentias there fruiting so I hope you have some luck with these. 

10 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Screenshot_20190818-103907_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190818-103902_Gallery.jpg

Dave your too nice. That’s so awesome. Name your price. I do not have any of those species so that’s great! I do have Kentia seeds but there. Not fresh and mouldy and probably give up on them. Thanks again mate!

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 8:49 PM, NOT A TA said:

And just like that my seeds are popping. Never been successful before with Adonidia thanks so much John!

67D5B49F-1916-4828-8ABA-C2FD9CEAE42C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Rickybobby That was fast haha hopefully i can be as successful with these seeds =) 

You will be from seed arrival cleaning. Soaking to the first two popping was 10 days 

1 hour ago, Rickybobby said:

You will be from seed arrival cleaning. Soaking to the first two popping was 10 days 

Good to see they're starting to pop for folks!