IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germination of palms

petquack77

Hey guys I had question about germinating palms. First off I'm currently germinating a few Mexican Fans and Windmill palms . The Mexican fans have sprouted and are slowly growing tiny green green fronds. They are doing okay ,but they thing I notice is I see these little tiny black bugs walking around the soil . What are they? Are they harmful to the palms? How do I get rid of them? Is there anything I could buy online to kill these little bugs with harming the baby palms? These bugs have already shown up so advice on how to prevent them or lectures on what I did wrong doesn't really help at this time. 

Please let me know and thanks. 

I find high peat moss soils attract apt of gnats. Haven’t had the problem since my switch to coco coir 

• 4 weeks later...

Few days ago while securing stuff in the back yard due to Dorian, I look at this pile of old seed from the pair of Bismark's last year's seed..and their first;. and I can't believe my eyes. (see pic).  That pile was the leftovers of seed that I threw out in the trash in May. In Feb, I tried everything to germinate...heating pad for 8 weeks..then heating lamp and orchid moss...and nothing. So I figured their first production of seed may have not cross pollinated.  Wrong.  Nature is amazing.. was sure alot easier letting them bake in the sun in Florida soil. I have 4 ..looks like I'm in business.  Lol.

IMG_20190902_194859733.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, PalmCraze said:

Few days ago while securing stuff in the back yard due to Dorian, I look at this pile of old seed from the pair of Bismark's last year's seed..and their first;. and I can't believe my eyes. (see pic).  That pile was the leftovers of seed that I threw out in the trash in May. In Feb, I tried everything to germinate...heating pad for 8 weeks..then heating lamp and orchid moss...and nothing. So I figured their first production of seed may have not cross pollinated.  Wrong.  Nature is amazing.. was sure alot easier letting them bake in the sun in Florida soil. I have 4 ..looks like I'm in business.  Lol.

IMG_20190902_194859733.jpg

My first attempt at germinating Bismarck’s was also a fail! I threw them out in a bin full of mulch and forgot about them. When summer came around months later they all started sprouting! Too bad roots are very sensitive and many of them did not make it through the separation and replanting process. 

I now just place seeds in individual tree liners and wait for germination (less impact to the sensitive tap roots). South Florida temps seem to get warm enough so no need for heat pads.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, LealPalms said:

My first attempt at germinating Bismarck’s was also a fail! I threw them out in a bin full of mulch and forgot about them. When summer came around months later they all started sprouting! Too bad roots are very sensitive and many of them did not make it through the separation and replanting process. 

I now just place seeds in individual tree liners and wait for germination (less impact to the sensitive tap roots). South Florida temps seem to get warm enough so no need for heat pads.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your post. Too Cool.  

What are individual tree liners?

I very carefuly put the larger of the 4 in a Stewy (spelling) pot..with the petolite mix..seems to be doing ok. Waiting a couple more weeks on the others.   I've got to remember not to use emoji s ..the system won't let you delete them and you have to start all over. Ugh.

I attempted Butea seeds with zero luck...going to try to find a handful of more black ones around the tree and do the same thing.. toss them in a pile and let the sun do its thing.

All the best in your future germination of seed 

11 hours ago, PalmCraze said:

I attempted Butia seeds with zero luck

An easier way is to get an already germinated seed from the old leaf boots of mature trees.  They produce so much fruit that often seeds get stuck in the leaf boots and germinate there.   

Jon Sunder

Man, I've got to get up to speed on the palm lingo...you guys have graduated from Palm U. 

So a leaf boot..guess I could Google it but hey this is more fun...and varied experiences. So the boot I'm guessing is where they started ..in that pouch.  Correct?

Ok.i can see how that can happen..but that boot released them all and I grabbed a dozen from the ground and did the heating pad routine. Some say it you crack that shell (which I've done,) there are the seeds in there and just plant those with lots of heat. Never worked either. I'm going to grab some old Butea seeds and pile them up in sand and see what happens. The tree is putting out a new batch..it's seems best to wait for the seeds to season..like a year..at least that what happened to the Bismarcia seeds. 

LOL

The remnant leaf bases where the leaf petioles (stems) attach to the trunk are called "boots".   Often oak leaves, twigs, etc. get caught in these "boots" and hold moisture which is enough for the seed to get started there.  You're right I have read where Butia seed seems to do best going through a change of season so some growers actually refrigerate the Butia seeds (cold stratification) before sowing.  I've had best results cracking the thick outer shell, refrigerating the embryos for a few weeks and then planting.

Jon Sunder

Thanks for the explanation...and yes..that was it..breaking the shell using the embryo half's..but I was not familiar with the cold process. 

Thanks for sharing.