IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lepidorrhachis mooreana Update

joe_OC

My Lepidorrhachis mooreana from Darold is opening up it’s second frond since I got it over winter.  It gets morning sun, but is shaded before noon for the rest of the day.  Lots of water.  Not as slow as I thought. 

47778211-859E-411E-9719-6398BC3D0ED4.jpeg

9FCE00D0-203A-4D46-8573-D2D9F86D4803.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 6

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Lookin great Joe! I was thinking I should update mine... should I do it here?

I will say your background is far superior to mine at the moment!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Go for it Bill.  Would be good to see.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Great to see this palm is doing well Joe.

Did you plant it this spring?

34 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Great to see this palm is doing well Joe.

Did you plant it this spring?

I planted it recently.  It was in a more visible spot of the yard.  I dug a hole and placed the pot in it over winter and observed.  As the sun moved, I wanted to make sure it would not get too much sun during noontime.  I thought my C. hookeri would provide it shade, but that was not the case.  I had to clear plants out to plant it where it is to ensure it got the right protection.  It’s a much better location as I have a Hedyscepe canterburyana next to it to compare. 

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 3

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Very nice Joe! How much sun does it get during the day? You're right, when there's lots of available water they can motor right along..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Joe, my dream palm looks great in your yard. Thanks for the update now and in the future. Keep up the good work. Bill, please show us yours.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

A lot of credit goes to Darold Petty.  The root ball was solid roots.  A very well grown palm to start makes the transition to planting in the ground much easier.

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

55 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Very nice Joe! How much sun does it get during the day? You're right, when there's lots of available water they can motor right along..

Thanks, Bret

It gets morning sun until 11-ish at the peak of summer.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

51 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Joe, my dream palm looks great in your yard. Thanks for the update now and in the future. Keep up the good work. Bill, please show us yours.

Well, this prompted me to run out and do the 5 minute weed job (As I have today off) and take some pics... after I cut off the two oldest dead leaves. ;) 

67930766_507561053391769_9200780646316769280_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I made a bit of a gamble when I planted it about 6 months ago. I figured it's problem was more of a dry heat than a 'damp" heat. My dry heat is usually in the spring and fall, we often get monsoonal heat in summer. Where it sits it gets over head sun from about 10-1 for two months in the summer. The rest of the year is shaded... another month and will be shaded again.. we shall see. And YES, kudos to Darold for growing and parting with such beautiful palms!

Oh yes, 6' tall fence for scale

67747593_498453117628803_7487051788558794752_n.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I made a bit of a gamble when I planted it about 6 months ago. I figured it's problem was more of a dry heat than a 'damp" heat. My dry heat is usually in the spring and fall, we often get monsoonal heat in summer. Where it sits it gets over head sun from about 10-1 for two months in the summer. The rest of the year is shaded... another month and will be shaded again.. we shall see. And YES, kudos to Darold for growing and parting with such beautiful palms!

Oh yes, 6' tall fence for scale

67747593_498453117628803_7487051788558794752_n.jpg

Bill,

Looks like your’s is opening up a new frond too.  Good to see they are growing at the same rate.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

5 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Well, this prompted me to run out and do the 5 minute weed job (As I have today off) and take some pics... after I cut off the two oldest dead leaves. ;) 

67930766_507561053391769_9200780646316769280_n.jpg

Looking good Bill!

• Like 1

Good job, Bill.  Your's is taking sun better than I would have thought!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Bill, that’s a spectacular palm.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Thanks Meg.. but most of the credit is due to Darold. :D 

• 8 months later...

Time for an update of this palm.  It has opened a frond over Winter.  It has opened 3 fronds for me since I got it from Darold.   I try to water it everyday (except when it rains).   So far, it is keeping up with the Hedyscepe for growth rate.   Only fertilized it once last year.  Will be more aggressive with fertilizing this year.  Hoping to get 3 rds in by October so it has a lot of energy going into Winter.  

IMG_3034.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Joe, looks super. Good work.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Pant pant pant!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 4:04 AM, joe_OC said:

Time for an update of this palm.  It has opened a frond over Winter.  It has opened 3 fronds for me since I got it from Darold.   I try to water it everyday (except when it rains).   So far, it is keeping up with the Hedyscepe for growth rate.   Only fertilized it once last year.  Will be more aggressive with fertilizing this year.  Hoping to get 3 rds in by October so it has a lot of energy going into Winter.  

IMG_3034.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

Great example

They dont like any non organic fertilizer and this has been known to cause "Sudden death syndrome" i only use organic compost 

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

6 minutes ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Great example

They dont like any non organic fertilizer and this has been known to cause "Sudden death syndrome" i only use organic compost 

Very very good info there. Thank you. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

5 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Great example

Thanks, Troy.  Very good to know this!  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 1 month later...

2nd frond for the year for L. mooreana.  

IMG_3183.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

My impossible dream palm looks fantastic! Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Such nice color in the leaf sheath and those leaves look healthy and thick. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

When I delivered that Lepi to Joe it was obvious that his palms were well grown.  :greenthumb:

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

16 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

When I delivered that Lepi to Joe it was obvious that his palms were well grown.  :greenthumb:

Thanks, Darold.  That means a lot coming from you.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Such a beautiful specimen! I'm so glad it is doing well after transplant. 

I'm always up for learning new things!

• 2 weeks later...

104408534_257519505479412_8929780348893598756_n.thumb.jpg.b388a2c1296b59f2f479887aa6a5e875.jpg

Well, a poor pic update taken today, but still growing fine.. some burn to be sure, but I think getting more hardy each leaf.. and petioles shortening.. I hope to plant a Chamaedorea near it to give a teeny bit more protection.

Joe, yours is loving the shade!!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Charging along with a nice fat spear.  What is encouraging is that the second spear is already emerging.

4E0CE2A8-3C99-4EDB-ABE0-0155C3FBCE8C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Nicely done Joe. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Joe and Bill, good job and both look very happy. As you know your coastal influence is necessary. I loved this species and was blind to the obvious growing requirements, and planted out a two gallon version many years ago in late summer/fall. It was followed by record low humidity hot Santa Ana winds for several days. It died within several days :sick:

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Killer Palm Joe but I think it would be happier at my place LOL you are taking very good care of it keep us up on its progress over the years and thanks for posting Love This Palm can't find one cheers

46 minutes ago, akamu said:

Killer Palm Joe but I think it would be happier at my place LOL you are taking very good care of it keep us up on its progress over the years and thanks for posting Love This Palm can't find one cheers

Thanks, Adam.  I was very lucky to get this palm.  I make sure that the soil never dries out.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24